Does being a Teetotaler Make One a Better Christian?

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
perhaps it can make people more "merciful" but then how are they without it?

I don't get the part about "merciful," but you have a point. The question of the thread concerned the idea that being a teetotaler might make one a better Christian, not whether the use of alcohol might make him a worse one.

While I don't see any reason to oppose moderate use of alcohol, neither do I think we can say that abstaining from it necessarily makes one any better.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Many of my in-laws are teetotalers, and it's just plain obnoxious. You're the worst form of scum if you drink alcohol, but don't you dare mention anyone's gambling addiction.

Maybe we have to define "teatotaler." It may imply what you are describing here, although I took it to mean only those who abstain.

I know a number of abstainers and they don't at all dwell on the matter or speak ill of other Christians for taking a drink, so long as they are not drunkards.

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
Near the flying spaghetti monster
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Just interested in your thoughts.
Does being a Teetotaler Make One a Better Christian?
Nope :)

It might make you save some money since alcohol for drinking is fairly expensive but it might ruin your participation in holy communion.

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Maybe we have to define "teatotaler." It may imply what you are describing here, although I took it to mean only those who abstain.

I know a number of abstainers and they don't at all dwell on the matter or speak ill of other Christians for taking a drink, so long as they are not drunkards.

I see. I've always thought it refers to those who believe that alcohol is inherently immoral. I have no issue with those who simply abstain, and I commend them for their self-control.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I see. I've always thought it refers to those who believe that alcohol is inherently immoral. I have no issue with those who simply abstain, and I commend them for their self-control.

You may be right. It may refer to those who are judgmental in that way.

I am just saying that when I read the OP and that term, I didn't think of it in that way but simply translated it into 'one who does not drink and thinks it's a good idea not to drink.' But on second thought, the word does seem to have a certain cutting edge to it, and I suspect--without looking it up--that it may well be a description of those who believe any imbibing is inherent immoral and are adamant about it.

Upvote 0

Mama Kidogo

Τίποτα νέο μυθιστόρημα τίποτα
Jan 31, 2014
USA for the time being
✟19,535.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Many of my in-laws are teetotalers, and it's just plain obnoxious. You're the worst form of scum if you drink alcohol, but don't you dare mention anyone's gambling addiction.
Or that prescribed drug they took to compose them self just before visiting.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Its not wrong, unless you're an alcoholic or a recovering alcoholic[like myself].

All them AA classes pretty said the difference between a alcoholic and a casual drinker is the alcoholic has to have a drink, while a casual drinker doesn't.

Every form of drug abuse -- starts with recreational use and the claim "I am not addicted".

That's true as no one begins as an alcoholic or junkie. At the same time partaking does not lead most that far. I'm not sure about that term recreational. What does that really mean. .

it means taking the drug "for fun" not because you are sick or impaired and need some form of artificial nerve stimulation/adjustment

And of course those who start off on whatever their drug of choice is - rarely start of binging or start off from day 1 as the "junkie".

in Christ,

Bob

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Its not wrong, unless you're an alcoholic or a recovering alcoholic[like myself].

All them AA classes pretty said the difference between a alcoholic and a casual drinker is the alcoholic has to have a drink, while a casual drinker doesn't.

Every form of drug abuse -- starts with recreational use and the claim "I am not addicted".

*sips his mocha frappe*

Oh?

-CryptoLutheran

You are free to make my point for me. I don't mind that at all.

in Christ,

Bob

Upvote 0

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
A drink? Most alcoholics I've met had to get pretty high.

I'm not even asking about getting plowed drunk and waking up asking yourself who this naked tattooed guy is in your bed. Pretty sure we'd all agree that's overindulging. i'm speaking of the glass of wine with dinner or even that bourbon on the rocks after dinner.
I'm no fan of drunkenness. Seems every time I read someone specific is drunk in scripture, something bad is about to happen. I've also found it to be true in life.

Ah ok, well I tend to view it as such as.. when I drank, that was specifically my goal. I eventually just bought nothing but everclear and something sweet to mix it with. More potency for more effect, and more bang for your buck. I replaced alcohol with coffee, and well now, I think iIdrink too much of that as well. lol.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟336,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As the saying goes -- 'drugs is drugs'

An spirits is spirits ...... the implication is there ... either the conscience allows or disallows but one can't judge on those points w/o becoming legalistic

Upvote 0

OGM

Mar 22, 2010
✟11,065.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Mama Kidogo said:
Or that prescribed drug they took to compose them self just before visiting.
...a lot of that going on!

As far a drinking alcohol goes...I don't drink it because I had to drink NyQuil for several weeks straight when I was 6 years old. Back then it was 25% (50 proof). I had the flu and the doctor prescribed it, accidentally.

After that I didn't like the taste of alcohol. That being said...I don't have a problem with people drinking responsibly. Besides, Jesus turned the water in to wine, not grape juice. So I can't see a glass of wine being sinful.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Personally, I don't drink. I never liked alcohol which is a blessing as everyone else in my immediate family have been alcoholics. If I'd liked alcohol, I would probably have ended up an alcoholic myself. I have my own demons that I struggle with, but I'm glad that I don't have to deal with alcoholism.

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
it means taking the drug "for fun" not because you are sick or impaired and need some form of artificial nerve stimulation/adjustment

And of course those who start off on whatever their drug of choice is - rarely start of binging or start off from day 1 as the "junkie".

in Christ,

Bob
One drinks wine in communion for communion with Jesus Christ and even though some might call that fun 'fun' is not the usual term applied to it. And if one happens to share a sip of whisky with friends while playing board games (as do I) without getting drunk and without exceeding one shot in around four hours then I would not call it 'fun' so much as part of an experience with friends.

Do you teetotal, BobRyan?

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Ah ok, well I tend to view it as such as.. when I drank, that was specifically my goal. I eventually just bought nothing but everclear and something sweet to mix it with. More potency for more effect, and more bang for your buck. I replaced alcohol with coffee, and well now, I think I drink too much of that as well. lol.
I don't think we can buy alcohol at 95% (190 proof) in my country and I've never thought of alcohol as tasting good. The whisky I drink tastes interesting but a glass of water tastes better. :)

Upvote 0