Does anyone else Hate Christian Contempory Pop Rock type of music ?

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,273.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have never come across anything comtempoary with questionable theology in its lyrics. The only gripe i have about this style of music is those Worship bands who think its great to keep on repeating the same old verse over and over again

Old hyms although have nice words the tunes are pretty naff. In the Salvation Army we have brass bands which make these tunes sound a little better than singing to somebody playing the organ or plonking the piano.

I am a fan of the Graham Kendrick style of Songs although some of those are a little outdated.

I also like a lot of the Doug Horley kids music, awesome stuff.
I was just enjoying this one:

Got some favorites to point out?

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You must have a really boring church then.

I want to go away from worship with a buzz, if you can't enjoy yourself as you give worship to god then whats the point.
You can still enjoy yourself as you worship God by not singing a song about yourself.

Upvote 0

usexpat97

kewlness
Aug 1, 2012
Ecuador
✟76,839.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I have never come across anything comtemporary with questionable theology in its lyrics.

I sure have. There's the line "Dancers who dance upon in injustice," in the song, "Do you Feel the Mountains Tremble". I personally have no issue with it, but I have heard others who have.

There's the line "These are the days of Moses", in the song, "Behold He Comes Riding on the Clouds". Um...no. These are NOT the days of Moses.

Upvote 0

steve78

Jan 18, 2011
✟18,341.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Married
I sure have. There's the line "Dancers who dance upon in injustice," in the song, "Do you Feel the Mountains Tremble". I personally have no issue with it, but I have heard others who have.

There's the line "These are the days of Moses", in the song, "Behold He Comes Riding on the Clouds". Um...no. These are NOT the days of Moses.

Nothing wrong in any of those lyrics, those who object don't really understand the meanings to the songs.

We are not living in the days of Moses, the song is simply based on scripture, in reality your singing bible verses in Song form.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,273.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You have to wonder about some of the nonsense taught in churches these days.
On internet forums, every one, there will always be "tilting at windmills", partly because the internet is like looking through a fuzzy glass, or a glass darkly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,273.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,273.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,381.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Why would it be wrong to enjoy worshiping God?
It's allowed but God is much more interested in our doing so by putting His will before our own and loving all as self. There is more to it than just glorifying Him, but doing as He wills us, including putting into personal practice His ideals which run opposite to the traditional ways of man.

Upvote 0

usexpat97

kewlness
Aug 1, 2012
Ecuador
✟76,839.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
What I'm driving at is the consumerism mentality; that churches are supposed to entertain you. We don't volunteer our time on stage at 6am Sundays (before everyone else is there) to provide free entertainment. We're there to draw people to Christ. You are the worshipper. God is the reason.

• Useful
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,381.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
We don't volunteer our time on stage
I can understand the local and volunteer aspect, but what of those who make a rock star career of it and see themselves as celebrity playing to the choir, an already captive audience guilted into supporting them?

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,273.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What I'm driving at is the consumerism mentality; that churches are supposed to entertain you. We don't volunteer our time on stage at 6am Sundays (before everyone else is there) to provide free entertainment. We're there to draw people to Christ. You are the worshipper. God is the reason.
Right. That's a real thing some need to consider, but not necessarily those here in this thread see. There are so many CCM songs I'd never want to post anywhere. The ones I have posted (a few where CCM, most were not possibly) are not entertainment at all, but powerfully good for Christians that are in a place where they can benefit from them.

Let me cross post an example, and not a super obvious this-side-or-that-side one, but one more close to an appearance (at first, superficially) where one might wonder whether or not it was more on the entertainment side (until they start to listen to the words at least), at first at least --

Here the plea/prayer is to die to self, and live in the Spirit (Romans chapter 8)

Remember how Christ said to us -- to you and to me: "The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak."

That's for real. It's a very real thing for us to work on. This song is a way to work hard on exactly that -- to die to the flesh and walk in the spirit (read Romans chapter 8 fully if not remembering all it has).

Why such a range of so many different kinds of lyrics?

Because people are at different places in their Walk with God.

We have lyrics that help us to be humble or to remember how much He has done for us -- which has the effect to help us better love God with all of our heart.

Hey, that's the Greatest Commandment there....

Sometimes lyrics that are like a plea.

Such as for instance one of our modern CCM lyrics, which is a prayer/plea to God, just like David did in psalms like Psalm 139 at the end --

23 Search me, God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.
24 See if there is any offensive way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting.
Psalm 139 NIV

To me, an example of a popular CCM song that says the same: Hosanna (such as the popular version song by Hillsong) --

Heal my heart and make it clean
Open up my eyes to the things unseen
Show me how to love like you have loved me
Break my heart for what breaks yours
Everything I am for your kingdom's cause
As I walk from earth into eternity

See, I found that even though the musical form and melody was very a boring type to me, that because of the lyrics that all went away -- but it took a painful minute or two to get there(!). I really found the beginning of the song wasn't working, partly because of the musical form. But somehow I listened long enough to get past the beginning of the song until I heard the words above, and then suddenly it all works.

That's because it's true, like Psalm 139.

• Agree
Reactions: Concord1968
Upvote 0

usexpat97

kewlness
Aug 1, 2012
Ecuador
✟76,839.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
but what of those who make a rock star career of it and see themselves as celebrity playing to the choir, an already captive audience guilted into supporting them?

Those on stage need to understand what worship is all about, too, and be on board with it. Or they are not a fit for the team.

Upvote 0