Does anyone else Hate Christian Contempory Pop Rock type of music ?

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I can understand the local and volunteer aspect, but what of those who make a rock star career of it and see themselves as celebrity playing to the choir, an already captive audience guilted into supporting them?

There is nothing wrong with it. As long as the intent is genuine. We are in a world in where the world is influenced by the most vile forms of content in music and it is a strong influence to modern day society, especially the youth. Having God being preached in an artform that is more accepted and attractive to the youth now is a good thing. Some christians need to lighten up and stop thinking that God considers everything that you don't like a sin. No one is going to hell for liking or making this form of gospel music.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟728,115.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I think we need to make a distinction between sacred music for use in church and music produced by Christians for Christians (or a general audience even).

There are musicians and bands who are Christians and produce music I enjoy because I find it aesthetically pleasing and interesting, but would never want it as part of the Divine Service as it simply doesn't belong there.

The Christian produced music I do enjoy I enjoy for many of the same reasons I enjoy "secular" music--because it is aesthetically pleasing and interesting. Not because it is "Christian".

I also hold sacred music to a much higher standard to, let's call it "listening music", based on the principle of Lex Orandi, Lex Credendi--the law of prayer is the law of belief. Sacred music serves a deep theological purpose in the Service as part of the overall Christian leitourgia, what we are doing together as God's people assembled to receive God's Word and Sacrament.

A major flaw occurs when we start to think that "Christian music" is somehow a kind of holy substitute for "normal music" and that we are supposed to be in some kind of weird cloistered subculture with our Christian-branded music, clothes, and various paraphernalia.

So to that end do I have a problem with rock music produced by Christians? Of course not. But then I like various kinds of rock music, among many other musical genres.

But I don't think it has any more place as use as sacred music in church than I do "secular" popular styles of music.

Having said that I don't have a problem with Christian-produced rock music--in principle--I do think there are plenty of valid criticisms to be had about CCM and its industry as a whole, and with the kind of ethos is promotes; e.g. the cloistered "Christian" subculture I mentioned above. I also think other valid criticisms are that frequently the music simply isn't that good, and the substance can also be deeply lacking if not just plain bad--especially if used theologically. But that's something that needs to be critiqued and analyzed on a case-by-case basis. I think the sharpest points of this critique go to so-called "praise and worship" music, which tends to be theologically shallow, emotionally manipulative, and driven by consumerist tendencies, but billed as sacred music anyway.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,152,595.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think we need to make a distinction between sacred music for use in church and music produced by Christians for Christians (or a general audience even).

There are musicians and bands who are Christians and produce music I enjoy because I find it aesthetically pleasing and interesting, but would never want it as part of the Divine Service as it simply doesn't belong there.

The Christian produced music I do enjoy I enjoy for many of the same reasons I enjoy "secular" music--because it is aesthetically pleasing and interesting. Not because it is "Christian".

I also hold sacred music to a much higher standard to, let's call it "listening music", based on the principle of Lex Orandi, Lex Credendi--the law of prayer is the law of belief. Sacred music serves a deep theological purpose in the Service as part of the overall Christian leitourgia, what we are doing together as God's people assembled to receive God's Word and Sacrament.

A major flaw occurs when we start to think that "Christian music" is somehow a kind of holy substitute for "normal music" and that we are supposed to be in some kind of weird cloistered subculture with our Christian-branded music, clothes, and various paraphernalia.

So to that end do I have a problem with rock music produced by Christians? Of course not. But then I like various kinds of rock music, among many other musical genres.

But I don't think it has any more place as use as sacred music in church than I do "secular" popular styles of music.

Having said that I don't have a problem with Christian-produced rock music--in principle--I do think there are plenty of valid criticisms to be had about CCM and its industry as a whole, and with the kind of ethos is promotes; e.g. the cloistered "Christian" subculture I mentioned above. I also think other valid criticisms are that frequently the music simply isn't that good, and the substance can also be deeply lacking if not just plain bad--especially if used theologically. But that's something that needs to be critiqued and analyzed on a case-by-case basis. I think the sharpest points of this critique go to so-called "praise and worship" music, which tends to be theologically shallow, emotionally manipulative, and driven by consumerist tendencies, but billed as sacred music anyway.

-CryptoLutheran

That's interesting. In our Lutheran church our contemporary music I had previously thought very conservative (and of course it makes sense now), and wondered why didn't they play some other CCM I enjoy. Any case, years later, now, we do use some songs I've posted here, and post #179 on the previous page talks about 2 of them, how they are good for us because of their messages -- we have these occasionally in our contemporary services in our Lutheran church, and they are very good in their messages and aid I think. But I'm not at all suggesting they should be substituted into a high service. :) I tend to personally love Gregorian chant, but also I'd hesitate to substitute that in either. There's yet a 3rd kind of music in the Lutheran context -- the song often used in baptisms or confirmations, music like the Lutheran composed (I'm told) Borning Cry. Curious what you think of the contemporary stuff in #179 on the previous page here, and also about Borning Cry?

Does it belong in a Divine service? Or does it sometimes, only if performed a certain way, say with only piano or organ, but never guitar? (??)

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In short, and to simply answer the OP directly, I can tolerate very little of it. I find the overwhelmingly vast majority of it to be sappy and disengenuous, as well as derivative and musically shallow.

I love music and listen to music often. Most of the music I listen to would be considered "folk music" of one kind or another. I particularly love Red Dirt and Blue Grass. A great deal of the music produced in those genre have a folk Christian element to them, so I am by no means opposed to listening to "Christian music" generally speaking. I just hate bad music.

• Friendly
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,152,595.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In short, and to simply answer the OP directly, I can tolerate very little of it. I find the overwhelmingly vast majority of it to be sappy and disengenuous, as well as derivative and musically shallow.

I love music and listen to music often. Most of the music I listen to would be considered "folk music" of one kind or another. I particularly love Red Dirt and Blue Grass. A great deal of the music produced in those genre have a folk Christian element to them, so I am by no means opposed to listening to "Christian music" generally speaking. I just hate bad music.
It sounds possible you might be overlapping some to me based on your short post (guessing). There are 3 groups in this thread that may be pleasant for you possibly, one or even 2--All Sons And Daughters has a bluegrass sound sometimes, and Shane and Shane has some very fine lyrics.

Light Glorious Light (All Sons and Daughters)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CaspianSails

Jan 30, 2019
Washington DC metro area
✟27,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you think Contempory worship music with worship bands has any place in the church?
Even Christian radio such as UCB 2 & 1 and Premier play this noisy Christian contempory music so I don't listen to Christian radio..i stick with Angel Vintage or Classic FM,both on dab or online.Surely not EVERYONE likes this so called modern contempory Christian worship music...maybe they use it to attract the young people.[/QUOTE]

I do not have an issue with instruments or style be it traditional or contemporary. I do have great issues with some of what passes for Christian music and more specifically for worship music. Worship is about God, His glory, His majesty, His ministry, in short worship is about God. It is not about my feelings, my pain or my circumstances. Contemporary Christian music that is doctrinally sound is fine. For instance the song In Christ Alone and others like it. Songs that are wholly repetitious akin to chanting, designed for emotionalism, that are utter nonsense or are about the writer etc., are not fine. Give me something like, Blessed Assurance, A Mighty Fortress is our God, How can it be, Wesley, Luther. When you finish a song is it about me or Christ? Was Christ glorified or am I left empty of praise. While singing do I think what is this anyway? Are there nothing but I's and me. If God is not lifted up and it does not move me in the slightest then why sing? A song like Born Again has no place in any church. What is that about? At the cross, very good CCM. Better than one day, skip it. Break every chain, let it fall, nothing but repetition. Here I am to Worship, is this about Christ or me? How Great is my God- good song. I could go on but you get the gist of it. Some of this was borrowed in part from something a read online a few years ago. I wish I could remember the author as I would give them credit but it stuck with me. You can probably search something like ratings for Contemporary Christian Music and find it. It is not all inclusive but covers what to look for and many songs. You don't have to agree but It is Well with My soul. A great song.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,440,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you think Contempory worship music with worship bands has any place in the church?
Even Christian radio such as UCB 2 & 1 and Premier play this noisy Christian contempory music so I don't listen to Christian radio..i stick with Angel Vintage or Classic FM,both on dab or online.Surely not EVERYONE likes this so called modern contempory Christian worship music...maybe they use it to attract the young people.

I do not have an issue with instruments or style be it traditional or contemporary. I do have great issues with some of what passes for Christian music and more specifically for worship music. Worship is about God, His glory, His majesty, His ministry, in short worship is about God. It is not about my feelings, my pain or my circumstances. Contemporary Christian music that is doctrinally sound is fine. For instance the song In Christ Alone and others like it. Songs that are wholly repetitious akin to chanting, designed for emotionalism, that are utter nonsense or are about the writer etc., are not fine. Give me something like, Blessed Assurance, A Mighty Fortress is our God, How can it be, Wesley, Luther. When you finish a song is it about me or Christ? Was Christ glorified or am I left empty of praise. While singing do I think what is this anyway? Are there nothing but I's and me. If God is not lifted up and it does not move me in the slightest then why sing? A song like Born Again has no place in any church. What is that about? At the cross, very good CCM. Better than one day, skip it. Break every chain, let it fall, nothing but repetition. Here I am to Worship, is this about Christ or me? How Great is my God- good song. I could go on but you get the gist of it. Some of this was borrowed in part from something a read online a few years ago. I wish I could remember the author as I would give them credit but it stuck with me. You can probably search something like ratings for Contemporary Christian Music and find it. It is not all inclusive but covers what to look for and many songs. You don't have to agree but It is Well with My soul. A great song.[/QUOTE]

Interestingly, not even all Psalms fit your criteria.

Upvote 0

CaspianSails

Jan 30, 2019
Washington DC metro area
✟27,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interestingly, not even all Psalms fit your criteria.[/QUOTE]

That is not an issue for me either. Psalms are a collection of praises written primarily by King David. Some are personal as is some CCM. Not all music is meant to be public praise for assembled believers. The question as I read it was is all CCM relevant for public worship. However, I would not call any Psalm vacuous but some CCM is.

Upvote 0