• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Featured Does anyone else Hate Christian Contempory Pop Rock type of music ?

Discussion in 'Denomination Specific Theology' started by Hazel D. Wykes, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Cis.jd

Cis.jd Well-Known Member

+808
    Catholic
    Single
    deleted

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  2. Cis.jd

Cis.jd Well-Known Member

+808
    Catholic
    Single

There is nothing wrong with it. As long as the intent is genuine. We are in a world in where the world is influenced by the most vile forms of content in music and it is a strong influence to modern day society, especially the youth. Having God being preached in an artform that is more accepted and attractive to the youth now is a good thing. Some christians need to lighten up and stop thinking that God considers everything that you don't like a sin. No one is going to hell for liking or making this form of gospel music.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  3. timothyu

timothyu Well-Known Member

+2,112
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Unless they've turned it into a den of thieves

4. Cis.jd

Cis.jd Well-Known Member

+808
    Catholic
    Single
    Yes. But good thing negative accusations are normally from fundamentalists who equate anything they dislike to be associated with sin, satan, evil, etc.

5. RDKirk

RDKirk Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner Supporter

+11,201
    Christian
    Married
    How does that work?

6. ViaCrucis

ViaCrucis Evangelical Catholic of the Augsburg Confession

+16,291
    United States
    Lutheran
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    I think we need to make a distinction between sacred music for use in church and music produced by Christians for Christians (or a general audience even).

There are musicians and bands who are Christians and produce music I enjoy because I find it aesthetically pleasing and interesting, but would never want it as part of the Divine Service as it simply doesn't belong there.

The Christian produced music I do enjoy I enjoy for many of the same reasons I enjoy "secular" music--because it is aesthetically pleasing and interesting. Not because it is "Christian".

I also hold sacred music to a much higher standard to, let's call it "listening music", based on the principle of Lex Orandi, Lex Credendi--the law of prayer is the law of belief. Sacred music serves a deep theological purpose in the Service as part of the overall Christian leitourgia, what we are doing together as God's people assembled to receive God's Word and Sacrament.

A major flaw occurs when we start to think that "Christian music" is somehow a kind of holy substitute for "normal music" and that we are supposed to be in some kind of weird cloistered subculture with our Christian-branded music, clothes, and various paraphernalia.

So to that end do I have a problem with rock music produced by Christians? Of course not. But then I like various kinds of rock music, among many other musical genres.

But I don't think it has any more place as use as sacred music in church than I do "secular" popular styles of music.

Having said that I don't have a problem with Christian-produced rock music--in principle--I do think there are plenty of valid criticisms to be had about CCM and its industry as a whole, and with the kind of ethos is promotes; e.g. the cloistered "Christian" subculture I mentioned above. I also think other valid criticisms are that frequently the music simply isn't that good, and the substance can also be deeply lacking if not just plain bad--especially if used theologically. But that's something that needs to be critiqued and analyzed on a case-by-case basis. I think the sharpest points of this critique go to so-called "praise and worship" music, which tends to be theologically shallow, emotionally manipulative, and driven by consumerist tendencies, but billed as sacred music anyway.

-CryptoLutheran

7. Halbhh

Halbhh Everything You say is Life to me Supporter

+4,906
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    That's interesting. In our Lutheran church our contemporary music I had previously thought very conservative (and of course it makes sense now), and wondered why didn't they play some other CCM I enjoy. Any case, years later, now, we do use some songs I've posted here, and post #179 on the previous page talks about 2 of them, how they are good for us because of their messages -- we have these occasionally in our contemporary services in our Lutheran church, and they are very good in their messages and aid I think. But I'm not at all suggesting they should be substituted into a high service. :) I tend to personally love Gregorian chant, but also I'd hesitate to substitute that in either. There's yet a 3rd kind of music in the Lutheran context -- the song often used in baptisms or confirmations, music like the Lutheran composed (I'm told) Borning Cry. Curious what you think of the contemporary stuff in #179 on the previous page here, and also about Borning Cry?

Does it belong in a Divine service? Or does it sometimes, only if performed a certain way, say with only piano or organ, but never guitar? (??)

8. timothyu

timothyu Well-Known Member

+2,112
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    What about black gospel music? Usually a lot of talented voices there also.

9. Knee V

Knee V It's phonetic.

+1,425
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    In short, and to simply answer the OP directly, I can tolerate very little of it. I find the overwhelmingly vast majority of it to be sappy and disengenuous, as well as derivative and musically shallow.

I love music and listen to music often. Most of the music I listen to would be considered "folk music" of one kind or another. I particularly love Red Dirt and Blue Grass. A great deal of the music produced in those genre have a folk Christian element to them, so I am by no means opposed to listening to "Christian music" generally speaking. I just hate bad music.

10. Halbhh

Halbhh Everything You say is Life to me Supporter

+4,906
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    It sounds possible you might be overlapping some to me based on your short post (guessing). There are 3 groups in this thread that may be pleasant for you possibly, one or even 2--All Sons And Daughters has a bluegrass sound sometimes, and Shane and Shane has some very fine lyrics.

Light Glorious Light (All Sons and Daughters)