• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured Does anyone else Hate Christian Contempory Pop Rock type of music ?

Discussion in 'Denomination Specific Theology' started by Hazel D. Wykes, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Halbhh

Halbhh The wonder and awe of His Creation! Supporter

+3,848
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Our traditional choir sings a very beautiful version, but I couldn't find it after several searches, but instead found something unlike any I'd heard, I think worth posting:

(not our version, but I liked a lot)

2. Gracia Singh

Gracia Singh Newbie Supporter

+5,532
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I'm not a fan anymore. I used to listen to a lot of it, but the longer I was a Christian, then went back and listened to it, the more I found several problems; shallow / inaccurate theology, an over-emphasis on self / feelings rather than God, and unnecessarily repetetive lyrics in place of actual depth / content.

These days, I like either old-fashioned Protestant hymns, or Gregorian chant. There's beauty, depth, awe, and truth there. The tunes are better, the lyrics are better, and the meaning of the songs is better, too.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Unnamed Guy

Unnamed Guy Member

+45
    United States
    Christian
    Divorced
    What we call "western music", meaning combinations of tones to make chords, was invented by Christians to glorify their God. Priests tried to outlaw it because it was against their traditions!

4. LovebirdsFlying

LovebirdsFlying My husband drew this cartoon of me. Staff Member Red Team - Moderator Supporter

+2,995
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    I don't "hate" pop-style Christian music, but I do prefer Southern Gospel.

5. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Well-Known Member Supporter

+731
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Of course whatever music one uses to praise God, unless it is unChristian or heretical, should be okay for any church to use. Myself I like some of the contemporary worship music but most I am just happy when it is over. And I have noticed whenever an old fashioned traditional hymn is thrown into the mix, many more folks are singing and enjoying it than is the case with the new modern stuff which to me too often lacks musicality as well as melody.

So long as the style of worship, whatever it is, inspires people to worship, pray, and praise God, it's okay with me. And I an do all that with pretty much any kind of service though honestly I prefer more traditional music than the new stuff.

As a choir director though, I once ran across an upbeat country rock arrangement of "Turn Your Radio On" that had a great melody line for our excellent bass section. The guys loved it but it was just too unorthodox for the ladies who hated it and the next thing I knew I had a full scale mutiny on my hands with half the choir threatening to boycott it if we did it and half the choir threatening to not show up if we didn't. (Rhetorically of course.) At my request, our pastor bailed me out by building a sermon around the excellent, however light hearted, theology incorporated into the song, the choir came together to get it done and was great, and it was a standing ovation hit with the congregation. The sermon was good too that day. :)

I'm really live and let live when it comes to these things.

6. gym_class_hero

gym_class_hero Well-Known Member

+671
    Christian
    Married
    I agree some of the modern songs you have to really search to find any scriptural basis. That being said, the world would be very boring if we all preferred the same thing.

This verse sums up my feelings on the matter.....if the music doesn't contradict scripture or lead anyone astray, who am I to judge?

"To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak; I have become all things to all men, that I may by all means save some. "

7. martymonster

martymonster Veteran

+193
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I'm not a fan of his people taking the things of this world, and them thinking they can serve with with those things.

8. Michael Collum

Michael Collum Everything began with a voice, use yours Supporter

+3,169
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    you know, a house of mourning is totally missing as part of the consumer based model of Christianity. They must've overlooked that.

9. Halbhh

+3,848
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I was searching for our traditional service Kyrie Eleison I love, and found instead something kinda blended, with what seems to me a nice gospel sound, which you might like -- just above in post #21.

10. timothyu

timothyu Well-Known Member

+999
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    You must have missed the 60's

11. timothyu

timothyu Well-Known Member

+999
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Well known Catholic ballad

12. LovebirdsFlying

LovebirdsFlying My husband drew this cartoon of me. Staff Member Red Team - Moderator Supporter

+2,995
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    These guys (a Southern Gospel group, but it's undergone a few personnel changes since this was made) have visited our church several times. They're a Samoan family who now lives in the same state we do, just a couple hours' drive away. This is my favorite song that I've heard them do. I can see the point made in some of the concern raised above--maybe too much focus on self rather than Christ, but it is expressing gratitude to Him.

13. Der Alter

Der Alter This is me about 1 yr. old. Supporter

+2,281
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    I would not dignify it by calling it "music."

14. LovebirdsFlying

+2,995
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    I want to point out one thing I probably should have mentioned earlier.

Style of music is not a denomination-wide thing. Not all Baptist churches have abandoned the traditional in favor of modern music. The one we attend has a blend. Sometimes we sing the old hymns, and sometimes we sing modern worship choruses. Personally, I wish we'd stick to the hymns. Not just because of the music itself, but also because we're mostly an older congregation. Those new songs with slangy lyrics just don't sound right being sung by older voices. To me, it sounds like Grandpa trying to "prove" he's still young and hip by using the same words and phrases his teenage grandson uses. And then getting it wrong.

15. Ecclesiastian

Ecclesiastian New Member

+51
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    In a church service, I strongly dislike it. I grew up Baptist but my church was much more traditional and we actually sang many of the hymns of your church, that of England. I think that these are the best sorts of hymns as they are more often the ones that proclaim Christ, which is a great witness to any unsaved visitors. Much contemporary music either puts more focus on the instruments than the lyrics, or doesn't mention the Messiah at all but instead talks about God as if he's a mortal boyfriend of the singer. So I would disagree with the majority of contemporary music theologically and almost all of it for church use. In private there are some modern artists who can be edifying, and proclaim salvation properly, but I still prefer that worship be traditional.

P.S. I'm sorry my less conservative brethren have given you a poor impression of us in the Baptist tradition, and I hope you find more potential for worship in the Anglican communion.

16. friend of

friend of Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,719
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    I don't see why anyone should consider it worse than contemporary secular music.

17. Michael Collum

Michael Collum Everything began with a voice, use yours Supporter

+3,169
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    I suppose if it pretends to be something it is not, it would be worse than anything else that is just what it is.

18. usexpat97

usexpat97 kewlness

+683
    Presbyterian
    Single
    This is where you crossed the line from just not liking it, to judging others who do. Psalm 96:1 says, "Sing unto the Lord a new song," and that is what is being done. There are many facets to our relationship with the Father; reverence being one. But there is also love, praise, adoration, celebration, and thanks. And that is what more modern songs are better at. He is Abba Father.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  19. SeekingServant

SeekingServant Orthodox Christian

+38
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    This is the version of the Kyrie that we sing during mass. We're Western Rite Orthodox. It's so sweet and very worshipful.

20. Halbhh

+3,848
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    With a little help from a friend: :)

Here's the one I was looking for, one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard in person, which we use in our church: