• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Does Amending An Intrusive Thought Confim It?

Novis

Dec 11, 2014
✟19,339.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Let’s say that an OCD thought comes to me making a promise or saying that I’ll f have to do something or another thing will happen and, in the resulting panic i forget that it’s not from me (meaning I probably won’t be held to it) and make an amendment to the thought, like “just for ten days“ or something. Will God hold me to the terms of that amendment or will He consider it invalid because because it was attached to a thing He wasn’t (theoretically) wasn’t holding me to in the first place? I’m trying to think of a Biblical passage that’s relevant but I can’t blame God for not having someone write about every possible edge case that a believer can encounter.

Jun 16, 2020
London
✟107,044.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let’s say that an OCD thought comes to me making a promise or saying that I’ll f have to do something or another thing will happen and, in the resulting panic i forget that it’s not from me (meaning I probably won’t be held to it) and make an amendment to the thought, like “just for ten days“ or something. Will God hold me to the terms of that amendment or will He consider it invalid because because it was attached to a thing He wasn’t (theoretically) wasn’t holding me to in the first place? I’m trying to think of a Biblical passage that’s relevant but I can’t blame God for not having someone write about every possible edge case that a believer can encounter.

that God was reconciling the world to Himself in Christ, not counting men’s trespasses against them. And He has committed to us the message of reconciliation.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
an OCD thought comes to me making a promise

A promise made need duress is not valid. OCD promise are made under duress to get relief from the OCD urge.
God does not make deals with us. You can promise God you do anything, God pays it no attention, all he wants of s is to show that we love Jesus by our obedience.

Upvote 0

Dendy

Nov 30, 2014
✟19,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hey. There have been many times that I said I was going to do something and changed my mind. I asked for forgiveness and I feel ok about it. Everyone makes that kind of mistake. Don't worry. For example: I plan to put up an additional Christmas tree in the grandchildren's room and I told my husband I was going to let them decorate it. Well, I've changed my mind. I want to decorate it myself and I most likely will. I didn't mean to hurt God. I didn't mean to lie. I asked for forgiveness. It's ok. All have fallen short.

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, my apologies for that.
I had a really bad attack lately.
I'm sorry you've been struggling! :( I think those of us with OCD tend to way over-analyze our thoughts and feelings, much much more than other people. So, often if we feel like we've promised something, likely we haven't at all. Do you have any sort of support for your OCD?

Upvote 0

Novis

Dec 11, 2014
✟19,339.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm sorry you've been struggling! :( I think those of us with OCD tend to way over-analyze our thoughts and feelings, much much more than other people. So, often if we feel like we've promised something, likely we haven't at all. Do you have any sort of support for your OCD?

Not yet, I’ll look for options but my money’s pretty limited right now.

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not yet, I’ll look for options but my money’s pretty limited right now.
If you need any suggestions for online resources, let me know! I know of many helpful websites. Also, there's a pretty good online Facebook support group called "Christianity and Anxiety Disorders." OCD can be hard to deal with, but it's definitely possible to learn to manage it, even with limited financial resources!

Upvote 0

Novis

Dec 11, 2014
✟19,339.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you need any suggestions for online resources, let me know! I know of many helpful websites. Also, there's a pretty good online Facebook support group called "Christianity and Anxiety Disorders." OCD can be hard to deal with, but it's definitely possible to learn to manage it, even with limited financial resources!
That is kind of you, please do so.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Reactions: Novis