America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
...their own Rosaries? Holy medals? Statues, crosses, etc...? And do they understand the qualities of such things...or are they too young?

Also...does anyone like those little Precious Moments characters? I ask that, not only because of the pain meds, but because I see a lot of Catholic things for kids made by them. My daughter has a Precious Moments Catholic Bible...it's pink and has the PM illustrations all throughout. I like them in some ways...and in others they kinda creep me out. Especially when I see them as a married couple...two little kids in oversized wedding finery...something wrong with that...

Peace!

Sandy

ZooMom

Thanks for the memories...
Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Cool. :) What about the PM's...what do you think of those?

Here's the deal...I got a doll of one, to give to someone as a gift, and when you press it's tummy it recites the Bedtime Prayer. I thought it was really cute...but I know some people don't care for them...and I don't always like them myself. Just trying to get an idea of how my Catholic friends generally view them. :angel:

Upvote 0

faerieevaH

lucky wife
Dec 27, 2003
USA
✟28,950.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not a great fan of the precious memories. Although I did use some precious memories cloth to make little bags for the sugarbeans for my baby.

Our baby so far has his first bible. I am planning on also buying a little rosary for him, but am doubting between one of those wooden rosaries especially for children, or a 'jewel' rosary in sturdy metal.
I didn't buy a cross because in Belgium the parish usually gives one as a gift for the baby when he is baptised. Is that a habit here too? Oh, and what about the baptismal certificat, do we provide that or the Church?(sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread)

Upvote 0

ZooMom

Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm not a great fan of the precious memories. Although I did use some precious memories cloth to make little bags for the sugarbeans for my baby.

What are sugarbeans? :confused:

Our baby so far has his first bible. I am planning on also buying a little rosary for him, but am doubting between one of those wooden rosaries especially for children, or a 'jewel' rosary in sturdy metal.
I didn't buy a cross because in Belgium the parish usually gives one as a gift for the baby when he is baptised. Is that a habit here too? Oh, and what about the baptismal certificat, do we provide that or the Church?(sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread)

The Church will provide you with a Baptismal Certificate. :) I don't know about the cross...it probably varies from parish to parish. Mine did not receive one at their Baptisms...they got the Certificate and their Baptismal candle. :hug:

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
my aunt is really into precious moments. I never have been though. My kids have statues, pins, rosaries (multiple, they have a collection)-- and I am thinking about learning how to and teaching them to make them. a lady at work makes these long necklace things for our name badges, she finds the coolest beads, it would be pretty easy to make rosaries. I suppose you could say they use their rosaries for decorative purposes in their rooms, but they have a reverence for their religious items. and of course they know how they're used. and the blessed ones i have put away.

Upvote 0

faerieevaH

lucky wife
Dec 27, 2003
USA
✟28,950.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As soon as he is old enough, I am thinking of buying this for our baby: http://www.catholicsupply.com/christmas/_borders/25539.jpg

I know some people are opposed to it and think it could send the wrong message of 'playing mass', but I saw childrens mass sets in a toy museum years ago. I times when priesthood was much more encouraged as a lifes choice, it was seen as quite normal for children to play at it, just like playing household, groceryshop, school, etc.

Upvote 0

geocajun

Priest of the holy smackrament
Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Cool. :) What about the PM's...what do you think of those?

Here's the deal...I got a doll of one, to give to someone as a gift, and when you press it's tummy it recites the Bedtime Prayer. I thought it was really cute...but I know some people don't care for them...and I don't always like them myself. Just trying to get an idea of how my Catholic friends generally view them. :angel:

I don't mind them - I think it is important to meet kids where they are, and I think the PM stuff does that. I don't go out of my way to buy PM stuff, but it is everywhere and it does appeal to kids. The old traditional catholic styled artwork doesn't seem as appealing to children as the PM style of drawing, IMO.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ZooMom

Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

geocajun

Priest of the holy smackrament
Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Your kids are younger than my oldest two...that's all :) I haven't eaten dinner yet and my blood sugar is dropping--so thatcame out allmessed up- I'm sorry :sorry:

Don't worry about it, I'm just sensitive to this stuff lately. I need a vacation I think.

Upvote 0

Carrye

Weisenheimer
Aug 30, 2003
✟29,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Do you guys think it's better to introduce these devotions to your children very early...or to wait until they express an interest?

While I'm no parent, my vote is for early. I think that's true of a lot of things ... in order to express interest, one must understand that the thing exists; I cannot express interest in something that is completely unknown to me.

Upvote 0

BillH

Be not afraid!
Apr 3, 2005
Columbia, South Carolina, USA
✟27,958.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
While I'm no parent, my vote is for early. I think that's true of a lot of things ... in order to express interest, one must understand that the thing exists; I cannot express interest in something that is completely unknown to me.

Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking too. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.