Do you power down your computer daily or periodically?

How do you treat your computer?

• turn it off daily

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • turn it off periodically

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • never turn it off

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • who cares?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • none of your business

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • burn it down

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,033.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Different strokes, but I would not touch anything iobit with a ten foot pole. They are a dishonest company that makes programs that take over the machine. I used to use CCleaner, and it used to be excellent, but it has gone downhill and I wouldn't use it now. I'm not sure what's good for Windows at this point.
Hi Paul, for what it's worth, I've used two IOBIT programs VERY successfully for about 2 decades now (ASC and Driver Booster), and that on at least 50 different computers (along with the office and church, I've helped a number of others set up their networks and fix or buy their computers).

I've tried other IOBIT products and found them problematic, so I don't use them (I uninstall them, in fact, if they are freeware that comes along with ASC or Driver Booster). I also turn off all the automation so that the programs will not run in the background and must be started manually.

I've heard the mixed reviews, that others, like you, have had problems, but happily, that has not been the case for me :) In fact, I almost never have a computer to fix anymore (something that I was running all over town doing before I started having everyone use ASC on their desktops and laptops).

Maybe it only works well for Calvinists ^_^

God bless you brother!!

--David
p.s. - BTW, the ASC with Antivirus (I think it's called Ultimate ASC Pro, or something like that) is also a program that caused problems for me, so I'll never use or recommend that program again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you all fearful of polls, lol? They can be informative to others.:oldthumbsup:

There are nine votes; you can't see them until you vote.

As Win10 restarts my LT when it does an update; I don't shut it off at night; but just close all programs; and close the lid; which puts the PC to sleep; using hardly any power.

If I shut it down; I have to redo a few things; so putting it to sleep saves time getting everything up and running.

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟757,786.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hello @alllivesmatter, I believe that a number of things are reset during a cold boot (to a "ground zero" of sorts), so turning your computer off each day is actually a helpful thing to do. If you've ever worked with IT's, you may remember that the first thing they normally have you do (with your computer, router, printers, jet directs, or whatever other piece of gear is messing up) is turn it off, wait for a minute, and then reboot it, because it is amazing how many problems that actually solves :oldthumbsup::oldthumbsup:

--David

Like "The IT Crowd"? Unfortunately you'll have to sit through the preceding advertisment though.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Programs don't release their resources fully, and it adds up over time. This is especially true on Windows; Linux is better. With Windows I found that booting up twice a week was an absolute must.

A computer will use more power while shutting down than while running, but then when it's shut down you start saving power. If you've got a tower and are pulling say 300W,

300W x 8hr = 2400W-hr

2400 w-hr x .12/kWhr = $.288 saved per night, or $105 per year.

A laptop will be a lot less, as little as a tenth of that.

I shut down my tower each night, and I use Standby if I'm gone for an extended period.
Hmmm, I don't have a standby.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
There are nine votes; you can't see them until you vote.

As Win10 restarts my LT when it does an update; I don't shut it off at night; but just close all programs; and close the lid; which puts the PC to sleep; using hardly any power.

If I shut it down; I have to redo a few things; so putting it to sleep saves time getting everything up and running.
lol, I forgot, lol again. Thanks!

Reactions: mnorian
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I leave a lot of browsers open so I don't turn my computer off so I don't have to start over everyday. Lately though I am having computer problems so I close it because when it comes up when I turn it on the problems are far less noticeable. I don't know why it acts better turning it off at night because it never had this problem before. I don't believe the problem with it has anything to do with turning it off and on, only that it alleviates it when it is resting.
TMI, So I wondered how many power their computers down everyday.

You can set each browser to open with the same set of tabs open - ? Or is it just the waiting for them to load? If it’s the latter you could try putting some more RAM in your PC, RAM chips are quite cheap and easy to install, or if you have a HDD you could swap it out for an SSD, that can make quite a difference in speed. A PC uses way less power to boot up than would be saved by switching it off overnight.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pathfinder627

Sep 26, 2020
Texas
✟11,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I leave a lot of browsers open so I don't turn my computer off so I don't have to start over everyday. Lately though I am having computer problems so I close it because when it comes up when I turn it on the problems are far less noticeable. I don't know why it acts better turning it off at night because it never had this problem before. I don't believe the problem with it has anything to do with turning it off and on, only that it alleviates it when it is resting.

I keep it on all the time. I've got one of the better power supplies in it (graded platinum), but I'm not sure what the efficiency is exactly. It'll go in suspend mode without activity as well.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Depends ... if it's a windows based operating system ... of which I rarely use that type of computer .... then I do shut it down after use.

If it's a mac based operating system .... then I do not. The mac based operating system is much more stable than that of a windows based system. Has been my personal experience with the two anyways ;o)

Upvote 0

Sorn

Jan 8, 2018
Perth
✟178,763.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Another option is to Hibernate the computer. When you hibernate a computer, it writes everything that is in memory (ie browser tabs, etc) & writes it to the hard disk, (in one big file) and then shuts down fully.
As its shut down it would be using zero power. When you turn it on, it will restore all the tabs etc to the same web pages they were on, the same for things like Word docs etc., ie open the same files etc.
It can take a little longer to start up like this but you carry on from where you left off.

You can also create a small auto task to shut your computer off at a set time each day or week.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Hello again @alllivesmatter, did you ever notice how great a computer works when it's still pretty new but that, over time, it tends to get slower and slower? If so, you may want to download this program and give it a shot (it won 'best freeware of the year' a few years ago, BTW)

Even better is the paid version of that program, but give the free one a shot first if you care to (assuming you are using Windows, that is). Your boot-ups will be much quicker, almost like your computer is brand new again every day (the desktop I'm presently working on was fully booted in 23 seconds today, just FYI, and it was built and has been in daily use now since 2009 .. I'm running Win10 Pro BTW).

All of our computers at work, and the computers at church as well, use this program to keep them running smoothly. Prior to using ASC, I used to format and reinstall Windows on all of our computers at least once a year. Now I never have to. It's also easy to use because you can tell it to do it's thing at the end of the day, walk away, and the program will shut your computer down automatically.

--David
Thank you so much for this link I was having an extreme problem with my computer for months and so I downloaded your utility. It put stats on the desktop and in the ram stats it showed over 2 gigs used on one program. I googled the program and it seemed a common problem and how to fix it, turn it off. I did it and it fixed that months of headache problem!
Wonderful
Happy holidays!

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I do whenever I sleep. Lately, I have been turning it off an hour before bedtime, in an attempt to improve sleep hygiene.
I have been noticing that my hard drive makes a lot of "clunking" sounds after a "cold" reboot, so I have started using the "sleep" mode. That seems to be helping with that problem.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,033.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I have been noticing that my hard drive makes a lot of "clunking" sounds after a "cold" reboot, so I have started using the "sleep" mode. That seems to be helping with that problem.
Hello Sabertooth, do you back your files up to a cloud or a thumb drive, etc.?

—David

Reactions: paul1149
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,033.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
The only things that move inside a computer as far as I can remember is the hard drive and the cd/dvd drive. Oh yeah, and the fan.
I replaced the spinning HD’s in all of our older computers with SSD’s over the last couple of years. No noise, no heat, no lag, stable, faster boot times, and read/writes times that are simply astounding, and they are so inexpensive now that I don’t believe that I’d ever go back to a spinning drives again .. and you don’t have to defrag SSD’s like you have to do w/spinning drives to get the best performance that the drive has to offer (in fact, you shouldn’t do so).

—David

• Informative
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello Sabertooth, do you back your files up to a cloud or a thumb drive, etc.?
I keep all of my user files on thumb drives.

• Winner
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0