Do you power down your computer daily or periodically?

How do you treat your computer?

• turn it off daily

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • turn it off periodically

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • never turn it off

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • who cares?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • none of your business

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • burn it down

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I leave a lot of browsers open so I don't turn my computer off so I don't have to start over everyday. Lately though I am having computer problems so I close it because when it comes up when I turn it on the problems are far less noticeable. I don't know why it acts better turning it off at night because it never had this problem before. I don't believe the problem with it has anything to do with turning it off and on, only that it alleviates it when it is resting.
TMI, So I wondered how many power their computers down everyday.

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I've found that turning my computer off takes a big chunk out of my electric bill.
That sounds sort of contradictory doesn't it? But I guess it takes more juice to bring it up daily then it does to leave it on. Sort of like a car takes more gas to turn it on etc. lol

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,748.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
That sounds sort of contradictory doesn't it? But I guess it takes more juice to bring it up daily then it does to leave it on. Sort of like a car takes more gas to turn it on etc. lol
Umm, no, it's the opposite. When I left my computer on all day, my electric bill was noticeably higher than it was after I adopted the practice of turning it off every night, and not turning it on again until after I got back from work. I'm working from home now thanks to the pandemic, but I still try to turn it off every night.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Umm, no, it's the opposite. When I left my computer on all day, my electric bill was noticeably higher than it was after I adopted the practice of turning it off every night, and not turning it on again until after I got back from work. I'm working from home now thanks to the pandemic, but I still try to turn it off every night.
Oh, sorry I misunderstood. I guess you know where I stand, lol. It seems many believe differently on this subject as I have pooled it before but not here. No poll for you? or anyone it seems.
Saturday night live is brand new tonight. FYI, I never watch it but it looks particularly good tonight.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,925,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello @alllivesmatter, I believe that a number of things are reset during a cold boot (to a "ground zero" of sorts), so turning your computer off each day is actually a helpful thing to do. If you've ever worked with IT's, you may remember that the first thing they normally have you do (with your computer, router, printers, jet directs, or whatever other piece of gear is messing up) is turn it off, wait for a minute, and then reboot it, because it is amazing how many problems that actually solves :oldthumbsup::oldthumbsup:

--David

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I leave a lot of browsers open so I don't turn my computer off so I don't have to start over everyday. Lately though I am having computer problems so I close it because when it comes up when I turn it on the problems are far less noticeable. I don't know why it acts better turning it off at night because it never had this problem before. I don't believe the problem with it has anything to do with turning it off and on, only that it alleviates it when it is resting.

Computers have to be turned off or at least re-booted to refresh various things especially the RAM memory which gets filled up and doesn't properly self clean itself. I leave my computer on all the time but set it to "sleep" when not in use but that doesn't help with the memory issues. A couple tricks is to close out the browsers and restart them. Another one which is faster than a complete turn off turn on or reboot option is to choose "log off" for PC users. Then log back on with the account you use (if you only have one windows account then you don't have to choose anything). It boots up faster than a full reboot and the memory issue won't be there.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I leave my computer on, unless I reboot etc. It's been years since I did the switch off thing like 2007-2010. Now that you got software updates coming through the web etc. it is not that worthwhile to do the old school switch off. Not to mention, I sometimes have insomnia, or allergies etc. and after trying to sleep decide to get back up and surf the web or play a game to help my eyes get tired to sleep, and its a lot easier in my dark room just to have the computer on to use at any moments notice than to reboot it...

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Hello @alllivesmatter, I believe that a number of things are reset during a cold boot (to a "ground zero" of sorts), so turning your computer off each day is actually a helpful thing to do. If you've ever worked with IT's, you may remember that the first thing they normally have you do (with your computer, router, printers, jet directs, or whatever other piece of gear is messing up) is turn it off, wait for a minute, and then reboot it, because it is amazing how many problems that actually solves :oldthumbsup::oldthumbsup:

--David
I agree with you completely but I just hate to have to wait for all my browsers to open when bringing it back up. BTW, I worded it wrong, I don't turn it off I power it down. Even powering down for a moment does a wonderful job of clearing problems.
Thanks for your post.

Last edited:
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Programs don't release their resources fully, and it adds up over time. This is especially true on Windows; Linux is better. With Windows I found that booting up twice a week was an absolute must.

A computer will use more power while shutting down than while running, but then when it's shut down you start saving power. If you've got a tower and are pulling say 300W,

300W x 8hr = 2400W-hr

2400 w-hr x .12/kWhr = $.288 saved per night, or $105 per year.

A laptop will be a lot less, as little as a tenth of that.

I shut down my tower each night, and I use Standby if I'm gone for an extended period.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Computers have to be turned off or at least re-booted to refresh various things especially the RAM memory which gets filled up and doesn't properly self clean itself. I leave my computer on all the time but set it to "sleep" when not in use but that doesn't help with the memory issues. A couple tricks is to close out the browsers and restart them. Another one which is faster than a complete turn off turn on or reboot option is to choose "log off" for PC users. Then log back on with the account you use (if you only have one windows account then you don't have to choose anything). It boots up faster than a full reboot and the memory issue won't be there.
I agree with you, just so you know I worded the title wrong, I don't turn it off I power it down. Sorry, there is quite a difference between the two.:)

Upvote 0

paul1149

Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
its a lot easier in my dark room just to have the computer on to use at any moments notice than to reboot it.
With Standby you'd have the best of both worlds.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Programs don't release their resources fully, and it adds up over time. This is especially true on Windows; Linux is better. With Windows I found that booting up twice a week was an absolute must.

A computer will use more power while shutting down than while running, but then when it's shut down you start saving power. If you've got a tower and are pulling say 300W,

300W x 8hr = 2400W-hr

2400 w-hr x .12/kWhr = $.288 saved per night, or $105 per year.

A laptop will be a lot less, as little as a tenth of that.

I shut down my tower each night, and I use Standby if I'm gone for an extended period.
Wow, that's quite a difference. I have a tower. Besides noticing the difference in my problem when I power it down, I will be powering down nightly for the cost benefit, THANKS!

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
With Standby you'd have the best of both worlds.
I never use standby, I once had a computer that was hard to bring back up when I used it. Maybe I will try it on this one. Will my browsers still be open when i go from standby?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,925,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello again @alllivesmatter, did you ever notice how great a computer works when it's still pretty new but that, over time, it tends to get slower and slower? If so, you may want to download this program and give it a shot (it won 'best freeware of the year' a few years ago, BTW)

Even better is the paid version of that program, but give the free one a shot first if you care to (assuming you are using Windows, that is). Your boot-ups will be much quicker, almost like your computer is brand new again every day (the desktop I'm presently working on was fully booted in 23 seconds today, just FYI, and it was built and has been in daily use now since 2009 .. I'm running Win10 Pro BTW).

All of our computers at work, and the computers at church as well, use this program to keep them running smoothly. Prior to using ASC, I used to format and reinstall Windows on all of our computers at least once a year. Now I never have to. It's also easy to use because you can tell it to do it's thing at the end of the day, walk away, and the program will shut your computer down automatically.

--David

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Hello again @alllivesmatter, did you ever notice how great a computer works when it's still pretty new but that, over time, it tends to get slower and slower? If so, you may want to download this program and give it a shot (it won 'best freeware of the year' a few years ago, BTW)

Even better is the paid version of that program, but give the free one a shot first if you care to (assuming you are using Windows, that is). Your boot-ups will be much quicker, almost like your computer is brand new again every day (the desktop I'm presently working on was fully booted in 23 seconds today, just FYI, and it was built and has been in daily use now since 2009 .. I'm running Win10 Pro BTW).

All of our computers at work, and the computers at church as well, use this program to keep them running smoothly. Prior to using ASC, I used to format and reinstall Windows on all of our computers at least once a year. Now I never have to. It's also easy to use because you can tell it to do it's thing at the end of the day, walk away, and the program will shut your computer down automatically.

--David
Thank you, I will use it. I am sure a lot of viewers will take advantage of the link.

Upvote 0

paul1149

Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I never use standby, I once had a computer that was hard to bring back up when I used it. Maybe I will try it on this one. Will my browsers still be open when i go from standby?
The browser sessions will be there, as will everything else, as long as your OS handles Standby well. Some don't, so you might want to test a few times. But when my browser (Vivaldi) crashes for some reason, I have all the tabs back anyway the next time.

(it won 'best freeware of the year' a few years ago, BTW)
Different strokes, but I would not touch anything iobit with a ten foot pole. They are a dishonest company that makes programs that take over the machine. I used to use CCleaner, and it used to be excellent, but it has gone downhill and I wouldn't use it now. I'm not sure what's good for Windows at this point.

Upvote 0

paul1149

Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Even powering down for a moment does a wonderful job of clearing problems.
Another thing you can try for a quick refresh is to log out and back in. You'll have to close browsers first. There also are utilities that reclaim RAM on the fly. The Vivaldi browser can hibernate tabs, including all tabs but the current one in focus, and that returns a lot of resources to the machine.

Upvote 0