Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I identify as a protestant, but I only publicize it on this forum because it is relevant to the discussions. If I was going to evangelize someone I wouldn't tell them I am a protestant or something. In a nutshell, our camps are only relevant to Christian's (which kind of make them not relevant at all?).
That's reasonable. :thumbsup:

It's also quite different from what most people who are insistent that they not be thought to be Protestant under any circumstances commonly say. They not only disavow the term but don't understand it either.

Reactions: ExodusMe
Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The RCC wants to put all non-RCC in the same pile as the more famous preachers like Luther...anyone opposing the doctrine and dogma of "the one true church".
You may label me: Christ-Follower...
I BELIEVED unto the salvation EVENT...THEN.... I began the journey of FOLLOWING unto the Spiritual PROCESS of SANCTIFICATION.

John 3...THEN...Matthew 16:24-27 + Luke 14:25-35

Upvote 0

Kalevalatar

Supisuomalainen sisupussi
Jul 5, 2005
Pohjola
✟20,327.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Probably not. Here in Finland, where Evangelical Lutheran is the mainstream default denomination, if you will, we don't go around calling people "Protestants" or even "Lutherans" (or "Christians," for that matter) but use terms like "believer" or "parishioner." If asked, most of us are Lutherans and identify as such, even though we might just as well say "Agricolans" after Mikael Agricola, our local reformer. Evangelical and Protestant are neutral words in our neck of the wood and refer to our Church's Protestant Reformation history.

Here on CF I identify as "Christian," mostly because I don't feel the Luther Rose symbol used by the various American Lutheran denominations represents me anymore than the two US parties represent me and CF doesn't offer the coat of arms of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Finland as an option -- at least, not yet. ;)

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,567.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Nah! I don't care. Protestant is just a name slapped on a bunch of Christians who don't follow the Catholic Doctrine. Big deal. I don't think the Catholic Church is the one true church. I don't think my church is the one true church. In the bible days there was just the church. The followers of Christ in Corinthians or Ephesus or Galatia or where ever. The church didn't start naming itself until later. The Protestants just came to the church naming party really late.

But I do think the original poster kinda sounded a little derogatory in how he said some things. I didn't take offense, but it did come across that way to me. I'm just a follower if Jesus and while I love to debate theology I certainly don't think any of my brothers or sisters are any less than I because they might belong to a different church than I do.

• Agree
Reactions: Mr H A Bull
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Only when Catholics use it as an insult. I've seen Catholics say, "I wish my Protestant friends could be saved" and basically look down on us. Most Catholics are respectful but some aren't.
But I know some conservative Protestants who would say that Catholics aren't Christians, so it unfortunately goes both ways.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I know nothing about Luther other than he came up with reasons to break away from Catholism and don't what they are. I know nothing of Calvin.

What I know of are Jesus, Abraham, Moses, Jacob, David, Paul, Peter and the other Apostles, Timothy, Barnabus etc. I follow God and the Bible not a faction.

Actually Luther was seeking to reform the Catholic Church, not to break away from it.

• Agree
Reactions: Kalevalatar
Upvote 0

DeerGlow

User Gifted Supporter Status by Someone Else
Site Supporter
Oct 5, 2016
Texas
✟86,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
But I know some conservative Protestants who would say that Catholics aren't Christians, so it unfortunately goes both ways.

I guess as a Protestant I haven't really heard that but a catholic might. It's very unfortunate. I am not catholic but for the most part I respect the Catholics.

• Agree
Upvote 0

DarthNeo

Oct 7, 2016
Tampa, FL
✟20,882.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Yes I do. because I'm Catholic. :)
But my question goes to "Protestants". You'd prefer to be known as a Christian, I imagine. That your relationship with Jesus is the most important thing. You are a follower of Christ, so naturally "Christian" is the best label?
I guess the word "Protestant" has negative connotations, does it? You would also prefer your denom. specific label as well?
I personally prefer to be called Christian than Catholic. However I don't accept all Protestant theology, so I guess I have to be happy with "Catholic Christian."

I don't want to be identified by any denomination, I want to be known as a Christian...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Traveling teacher

May 2, 2017
Belton
✟31,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps we should review history

33ad---150ad........apostolic church and mentored leaders
We would probably call this
Messianic Jewish Christian today

300ad----Primarly catholic in europe

332ad nicea creed...and 700ad split to form
eastern orthodox. Church...russia...greece...

1500ad----protestant began by Luther

But this is only in mainland europe and extended to America....

You have the african coptic church....
-----other african churches
------ethiopian Messianic Jewish Christian
The hidden church untouched by Europe

INdia church founded by. THomas

UNderground Chineses church founded by???????
Which numbers at least 100 million and are the fast growing church in the world.....

Also Middle eastern underground church in Iran.......

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes I do. because I'm Catholic. :)
But my question goes to "Protestants". You'd prefer to be known as a Christian, I imagine. That your relationship with Jesus is the most important thing. You are a follower of Christ, so naturally "Christian" is the best label?
I guess the word "Protestant" has negative connotations, does it? You would also prefer your denom. specific label as well?
I personally prefer to be called Christian than Catholic. However I don't accept all Protestant theology, so I guess I have to be happy with "Catholic Christian."

I was not aware of any negative connotations. Negative thoughts about
the Catholic church are limited to the formal organization and it's methods.
Not the people. I like them.

Upvote 0