Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Yes I do. because I'm Catholic. :)
But my question goes to "Protestants". You'd prefer to be known as a Christian, I imagine. That your relationship with Jesus is the most important thing. You are a follower of Christ, so naturally "Christian" is the best label?
I guess the word "Protestant" has negative connotations, does it? You would also prefer your denom. specific label as well?
I personally prefer to be called Christian than Catholic. However I don't accept all Protestant theology, so I guess I have to be happy with "Catholic Christian."

Last edited:

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I picked up a bible and began to read. I then followed it. Im a follower of Christ.
So you don't like the word "Protestant" obviously.
This must be very common.

Reactions: Saint Beloved
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So you don't like the word "Protestant" obviously.
This must be very common.
I dont like the word, no. I believe Catholics are among the earliest protestants. In my opinion they moved away from the original church. So to call others protestants but not yourself would not be fitting. No offense meant.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟188,630.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Labels mean nothing to me... it is not a label that defines me but my faith. I follow Jesus and that is all I need. Someone can call me infidel and that would not bother me in the least because God knows my heart.

• Agree
Reactions: Saint Beloved
Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟188,630.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think the word "Protestant" has a negative implication, almost second rate or inferior association. Is that right? Or am I reading too much into this?

To some being labeled a Catholic is just as bad as being called Protestant.

Upvote 0

frienden thalord

Apr 9, 2017
texas
✟59,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Paul my friend , protestant would be a kind word for the names I get called
just for Following JESUS and not religion.
just for reminding others about HIS sayings and to flee any teachings or teachers who teach contrary.
yeah, protestant would be a kind word compared to what I get called.
Lord, forgive all my enemies , but your way and your sayings by your grace are all I need . amen.

Upvote 0

4x4toy

Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟116,025.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think the word "Protestant" has a negative implication, almost second rate or inferior association. Is that right? Or am I reading too much into this?

Maybe , but I'd rather that than feel superior to others or to treat my salvation as if it were from my own doing . And my love for the Jews is almost super natural, go figure, they still reject the Messiah ..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Saint Beloved

Site Supporter
May 10, 2017
uk
✟62,522.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
I don't mind being labelled or mislabelled but if I were asked to describe myself I'd say I'm a disciple of the Jewish Messiah, Jesus of Nazareth, called the Christ and His Way with a strong protestant leaning upbringing.

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But my question goes to "Protestants". You'd prefer to be known as a Christian, I imagine. That your relationship with Jesus is the most important thing. You are a follower of Christ, so naturally "Christian" is the best label?

I take the word "Protestant" to be ... outdated, actually. I mean, not much protest going on any more at this point. I think the world has largely moved on. So were I to be called a Protestant, I think my response would be to regard it as oversimplification and pigeon-holing on someone's part, as if they were trying to categorize me in order to assess and then address my assumed doctrinal errors.

All that having been said... not really fond of the title, no. Nor do I think I would be fond of any particular denominational label...

I think I'd prefer to wax theological on the issue of you having cornflakes for breakfast.

Upvote 0

Pilgrim

Praying without ceasing
Mar 26, 2017
between the pages of the Bible.
Visit site
✟192,961.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Label me as one who seeks first to love, honor, serve, and obey the LORD our God (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit). When I fall down, HE picks me up again. If working daily to strengthen my walk with Jesus is wrong—I don't want to be right. The most important label is that for HIS disciples whose names are written in the Book of Life.

For it is written:
  • Spread the Good News in a Positive and Loving Manner
    • ...in speech, conduct, love, faith and purity, show yourself an example of those who believe. —1 Timothy 4:12
  • Demonstrate the fruit of the Spirit
    • But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against such things. —Galatians 5:22-23
  • Book of Life
    • And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire. —Revelation 20:15

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The term is imagined to include so many denominations, many of which are diametrically opposed to one another theologically, that it virtually describes nothing except that the person isn't Catholic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Reformed2

Site Supporter
May 4, 2017
Delete
✟69,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I was raised Catholic, even went to a Catholic school. I'm now an evangelical/ congregationalist. I don't mind the term Protestant; it's actually important in my opinion that we Protestants remember that we are in fact protesting the Catholic church. After all, it's a shame the universal body of Christ is divided.

I think that Protestantism has become so splintered in itself, that we have forgotten the notion of a universal church body.

Upvote 0

football5680

Feb 6, 2013
Georgia
✟90,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I would prefer being called Catholic over anything else. Saying you are Christian today means that you believe in Jesus but other than that, you cannot go any further. The label is even applied to those I wouldn't accept as Christians.

If I happened to be Protestant, I probably wouldn't like that label for the same reason. It really says nothing about you other than you don't agree with Catholics and your church was created in the last 500 years.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
and your church was created in the last 500 years.

My faith is in the apostles letters that were written 2000 years ago. You show exactly why non catholics dislike that word.

Upvote 0

football5680

Feb 6, 2013
Georgia
✟90,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
My faith is in the apostles letters that were written 2000 years ago.
And what Christian would disagree with you? This is what every Christian says. Were you also led to your current understanding by the Holy Spirit?

You show exactly why non catholics dislike that word.
That's fine. I would prefer to know their denomination so I can somewhat understand where they stand on certain issues. I don't like using the word either but for different reasons.

Upvote 0