Do you hear your own audible voice when you think?

Do you hear your voice while you think?

• No, I don't hear my voice. All quite with my thougts

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • Yes, what on earth... don't you too?

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • I hear my spouses voice and it never stops...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just do... It's my thoughts...
And there you have it....we are saying the same thing. It is just that some dont say that they are talking to and hearing their own voice for fear of sounding crazy.

If you are thinking......you are talking to yourself......and if you acknowledge your own thought....you are hearing the voice in your head....

It is just semantics. Everyone can now rest easy.....we are all the same.

• Agree
Reactions: Kaon
Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,626.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
And there you have it....we are saying the same thing. It is just that some dont say that they are talking to and hearing their own voice for fear of sounding crazy.

If you are thinking......you are talking to yourself......and if you acknowledge your own thought....you are hearing the voice in your head....

It is just semantics. Everyone can now rest easy.....we are all the same.
This thread was meant to be congenial.. a new phenomenon that I heard about.

It was not meant to allow people to demean others or call them psychotic....

It is, also, not a "right" or "wrong" view..

Some people hear their own audible voice as if they are actually talking to themselves. Others, such as myself.. do not hear any audible voice.. mine or anyone else's.

There is no fear of being crazy here...

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
This thread was meant to be congenial.. a new phenomenon that I heard about.

It was not meant to allow people to demean others or call them psychotic....

It is, also, not a "right" or "wrong" view..

Some people hear their own audible voice as if they are actually talking to themselves. Others, such as myself.. do not hear any audible voice.. mine or anyone else's.

There is no fear of being crazy here...

Either nothing is crazy, or everything is crazy: trite details like "sanity" level of the phenomenon doesn't matter - at least not to me.

I am more fascinated by the idea that one can even think without hearing something. By hearing, I mean in one's head, one can interpret a form of sound that conveys a message the one.

For example,

How do you know to "turn right/left" when going to the store?

What happens when you evaluate (123 x 4) + 5 in your head?

To be able to navigate the world without "hearing" yourself (or even "other things/voices) is amazing to me.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey, I think this question would help clear things up a little better.

We all know music and the piano.....what is it like to press a key and hear the resulting sound.

Question:
Are you able to(or believe it possible) to Hum a note in your head, and then find that note on the piano by pressing random keys until the note heard on the piano matches the note you are humming in your head?

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,626.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Either nothing is crazy, or everything is crazy: trite details like "sanity" level of the phenomenon doesn't matter - at least not to me.

I am more fascinated by the idea that one can even think without hearing something. By hearing, I mean in one's head, one can interpret a form of sound that conveys a message the one.

For example,

How do you know to "turn right/left" when going to the store?

What happens when you evaluate (123 x 4) + 5 in your head?

To be able to navigate the world without "hearing" yourself (or even "other things/voices) is amazing to me.
I find it equally odd to find that some people actually hear themselves... When I think, it is totally silent.

When I go to the store.. I just walk, or drive. The way is memorized and I just follow the road. I don't hear anything.

When doing math.. I just think of the numbers, silently. No visual and no audible input, inside my head.

It is obvious that one who thinks one way finds it odd and foreign to try to understand how the other doesn't do it the same way.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,626.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Hey, I think this question would help clear things up a little better.

We all know music and the piano.....what is it like to press a key and hear the resulting sound.

Question:
Are you able to(or believe it possible) to Hum a note in your head, and then find that note on the piano by pressing random keys until the note heard on the piano matches the note you are humming in your head?
No

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,626.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Then I stand corrected. Some people have no inner voice.

You must be a straight A student then.........cause while you were paying 100% attention.....I was talking to myself half the time.
Hey...... this is not about who's right, who's wrong, who's smart, who is not...

It's simply an insight into the different ways we learn, think or other things that are different from one person to the other...

Anyway..........................

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
I find it equally odd to find that some people actually hear themselves... When I think, it is totally silent.

When I go to the store.. I just walk, or drive. The way is memorized and I just follow the road. I don't hear anything.

When doing math.. I just think of the numbers, silently. No visual and no audible input, inside my head.

Wow.

It is obvious that one who thinks one way finds it odd and foreign to try to understand how the other doesn't do it the same way.

Perhaps...

There are also photographic and eidetic communication methods - as well as a combo of a bit of everything (including "not hearing").

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey...... this is not about who's right, who's wrong, who's smart, who is not...

It's simply an insight into the different ways we learn, think or other things that are different from one person to the other...

Anyway..........................
Why do you keep talking about smarts and craziness and mental health? This seems to be a lite hearted conversation yet you seem to be finding reasons for offense. It's not that serious.

But thanks for the topic....I would of never known that some people cannot hear their internal voice if it were not for this.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,626.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Why do you keep talking about smarts and craziness and mental health? This seems to be a lite hearted conversation yet you seem to be finding reasons for offense. It's not that serious.

But thanks for the topic....I would of never known that some people cannot hear their internal voice if it were not for this.
Sorry, I took your comment as sarcastic when saying that "you must be a straight A student".

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, I took your comment as sarcastic when saying that "you must be a straight A student".
No, I genuinely feel that there is an academic advantage to being able to focus 100% attention to a speaker... My grades would have been a lot higher if I did not have another to listen to all my life..... lol, now that does sound crazy.

Im just confused as to why I did not know this before this thread......that others had no inner dialogue, that is.

Note: I recognize the dialogue as my own thoughts.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wow.

Perhaps...

There are also photographic and eidetic communication methods - as well as a combo of a bit of everything (including "not hearing").
Hey,

How do we know it is us speaking to ourselves? lol
What if we are two and not one? WE have thoughts that come out of no where that we agree or disagree to continue.... We rebuke some dialogue while going along with and encouraging others....

What if there is a separation that we are aware of for a reason. Are we not pilgrims passing through? What if we recognize ourselves as drivers of cars......when we once were only the car devoid of the knowledge of a driver?

Maybe this topic belongs in a twilight zone section.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
Hey,

How do we know it is us speaking to ourselves? lol
What if we are two and not one? WE have thoughts that come out of no where that we agree or disagree to continue.... We rebuke some dialogue while going along with and encouraging others....

What if there is a separation that we are aware of for a reason. Are we not pilgrims passing through? What if we recognize ourselves as drivers of cars......when we once were only the car devoid of the knowledge of a driver?

Maybe this topic belongs in a twilight zone section.

Truth is stranger than fiction.

We are "drivers" in a vehicle, and, yes, eventually we have to understand how to differentiate between Alexa, the kids, our partner, the people we have a ride to that we don't know (all the distractions and/or things we care about inside the vehicle)... while at the same time paying attention to the things outside the car.

To extend it, we [should] know just like how we practice good driving, and learn who/what to pay attention to inside the car, or outside on the road. If you are forever surprised or ignorant of your particular surroundings (if they exist), then it sets you up for confusion and such.

Upvote 0

fwGod

Dec 19, 2005
✟65,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So, are you one who can think and have thoughts in silence... Or... do you hear your own voice in a audible dialog?
People who hear an audible voice are what a doctor calls suffering from schizophrenia.

I 'hear' my own voice when I think or read quietly.

I hear my own voice when I think outloud or read to myself outloud as the Ethiopian did in Acts.. both are forms of biblical meditation.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,626.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
No, I genuinely feel that there is an academic advantage to being able to focus 100% attention to a speaker... My grades would have been a lot higher if I did not have another to listen to all my life..... lol, now that does sound crazy.

Im just confused as to why I did not know this before this thread......that others had no inner dialogue, that is.

Note: I recognize the dialogue as my own thoughts.
This is all new to me too.. I just assumed everyone "thought" or "thinks" the same way.

• Agree
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,626.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
People who hear an audible voice are what a doctor calls suffering from schizophrenia.

I 'hear' my own voice when I think or read quietly.

I hear my own voice when I think outloud or read to myself outloud as the Ethiopian did in Acts.. both are forms of biblical meditation.
Not from what I have heard here.. many people hear their own voice when they think, read or pray. And, it's audible.... to them.

I think, if the voices were telling you to kill someone or hurt yourself or do something and were obviously not just you thinking or reading.. then you may have issues. Or if they were not your own voice.

This idea is negating the psychotic.

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Truth is stranger than fiction.

We are "drivers" in a vehicle, and, yes, eventually we have to understand how to differentiate between Alexa, the kids, our partner, the people we have a ride to that we don't know (all the distractions and/or things we care about inside the vehicle)... while at the same time paying attention to the things outside the car.

To extend it, we [should] know just like how we practice good driving, and learn who/what to pay attention to inside the car, or outside on the road. If you are forever surprised or ignorant of your particular surroundings (if they exist), then it sets you up for confusion and such.
And even stranger yet.....There is the one who notices that the thought is being spoken and heard.....separate from the thinker and hearer.... Which one is You?

• Useful
Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0