Do you hear your own audible voice when you think?

Do you hear your voice while you think?

• No, I don't hear my voice. All quite with my thougts

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • Yes, what on earth... don't you too?

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • I hear my spouses voice and it never stops...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
And even stranger yet.....There is the one who notices that the thought is being spoken and heard.....separate from the thinker and hearer.... Which one is You?
Here's another twist..

When I look at a car... say a blue car... I see a color and we call it blue... So, I call that color blue.
What if you see the car and see a color in your mind and we call it blue..

But... in actual fact, if I looked through your eyes it may look red.. So.. all our lives we are seeing different colors, calling them the same..

Upvote 0

fwGod

Dec 19, 2005
✟65,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not from what I have heard here.. many people hear their own voice when they think, read or pray. And, it's audible.... to them.

I think, if the voices were telling you to kill someone or hurt yourself or do something and were obviously not just you thinking or reading.. then you may have issues. Or if they were not your own voice.

This idea is negating the psychotic.
The word 'audible' is being used too loosely.

When a person is thinking, the thoughts are not audible.. they are inwardly thinking, no one next to them would be able to hear what they are thinking.

An inward thought that one is aware of is not an audible voice. They are simply more heightened in their awareness of it than at other times.

Reactions: IntriKate
Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The word 'audible' is being used too loosely.

When a person is thinking, the thoughts are not audible..they are inwardly thinking,

That may be your way.... others say differently.... Who are you to make this claim.. about them?

no one next to them would be able to hear what they are thinking.
True....

An inward thought that one is aware of is not an audible voice.

Who are you to say?

They are simply more heightened in their awareness of it than at other times.
Say's you...

Upvote 0

fwGod

Dec 19, 2005
✟65,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That may be your way.... others say differently.... Who are you to make this claim.. about them?

True....

Who are you to say?

Say's you...
I am pointing out the matter of you using the word 'audible' loosely. The one thing that you did agree on what I'd said is that no one next to them would hear what they were thinking. Which proves that none of them are hearing anything audible.

And you are challenging that logical conclusion with "says you" and "who are you to say?".

I have to admit, that's a really smart comeback that certainly puts me in my place.

• Haha
Reactions: IntriKate
Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I am pointing out the matter of you using the word 'audible' loosely. The one thing that you did agree on what I'd said is that no one next to them would hear what they were thinking. Which proves that none of them are hearing anything audible.

And you are challenging that logical conclusion with "says you" and "who are you to say?".

I have to admit, that's a really smart comeback that certainly puts me in my place.
All I'm saying is that you can, in no way shape or form... say that they don't hear an audible voice.. their own, in fact.... when they say that they do...

And.... not just one person that I talked to said so... . many do and they are just as surprised that you don't.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,864.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,864.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Do you visually experience the words?
It's hard to describe. I don't "see" words, but sometimes I imagine the words which comprise my thoughts, as if they were written.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,864.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think I may have to give up on understanding your experience as well....it is very confusing.

How do you know you are thinking? How do you know what you are thinking if it isnt heard or seen?
I know I'm thinking because I'm "experiencing" it. I don't know any better word. I experience it but I can also control it and will it (as you can obviously, or else we couldn't be having this conversation.) :)
What do you call the acknowledgement of the thought? You ______the Thought. I would fill the blank with heard or saw......what would you fill it with?
I'd have to just say "I had the thought". How would you answer about being sick? "I ______ the flu." You didn't hear or see the flu, but you know you have it or had it.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here's another twist..

When I look at a car... say a blue car... I see a color and we call it blue... So, I call that color blue.
What if you see the car and see a color in your mind and we call it blue..

But... in actual fact, if I looked through your eyes it may look red.. So.. all our lives we are seeing different colors, calling them the same..
Yes, I believe that we all see colors differently, yet similar enough to all identify the same colors.......or do we?

In fact, I believe it possible that you Identify Red as blue and when I see blue you see red. And we will forever call red blue and blue red and never know it, because this is what we were taught to call the color we see...... As long as each color has a unique word.....we will believe that we are in harmony when, in fact, we arent.

The spiritual ramifications are mind boggling.

• Winner
Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,864.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
How many thoughts does the average person have each day?

7, 70, 700, 7,000, 70,000?
I had 70,000 during my first cup of coffee this morning. But then, I have a very troubled mind. :D

• Haha
Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know I'm thinking because I'm "experiencing" it. I don't know any better word. I experience it but I can also control it and will it (as you can obviously, or else we couldn't be having this conversation.) :)

I'd have to just say "I had the thought". How would you answer about being sick? "I ______ the flu." You didn't hear or see the flu, but you know you have it or had it.
Well let me at you this. As you age.....does the person, seeing the aging process, age? can one "become old".....without a mirror? lolol

I think we have, unknowingly, happened upon the edge of spiritual knowledge, most are not suited for..

Best those people walk away from this thread while they have a chance.....

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,864.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hey, I think this question would help clear things up a little better.

We all know music and the piano.....what is it like to press a key and hear the resulting sound.

Question:
Are you able to(or believe it possible) to Hum a note in your head, and then find that note on the piano by pressing random keys until the note heard on the piano matches the note you are humming in your head?
I wonder if your post about semantics might be the key. When you say "hum" in your head, I take the word "hum" literally. It's a physical thing done with the mouth. You simply cannot hum in your brain. In your head, yes, since your mouth is in your head, but not in your brain.

I'm a guitar player, and yes, I can "imagine" a note and know where I would put my finger on a guitar to produce that note, even without having to press random string positions and find it. But I don't hear it, I just imagine it.

• Useful
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm a guitar player, and yes, I can "imagine" a note and know where I would put my finger on a guitar to produce that note, even without having to press random string positions and find it. But I don't hear it, I just imagine it.

Interesting.... Let assume you can hear someone sing or play a song, and run you finger down the frets of one string and stop at the root note (key) of the song being sung, when you hear it.....then proceed to play the song from the memory of the fingering and positioning of the chords for that key. (I play many instruments).

Are you able to do this from singing, or humming internally.....just like you can do it from external singing/humming?

.e.g. Sometimes a song comes to my head and I sing it to myself without making audible sounds that others can hear. Then I sit at the piano to play it.....and I first find the key to the song that I am singing in my mind.....so I can play it in the same key I heard it in my mind......

Are you able to do this?

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
And even stranger yet.....There is the one who notices that the thought is being spoken and heard.....separate from the thinker and hearer.... Which one is You?

If you don't notice what's IN your car (even if it's empty) and outside on the street, then you are a poor driver of your vehicle, and you could endanger everyone on the road.

Ignorance is the danger, not "insanity", because sanity is a human measure of credibility - flawed at best, romanticized in general.

It should be a consequence of awareness that one knows what is in the car and outside on the road - and can identify them and where they come from. But, some people need time to adjust and figure out all the gadgetry of their vehicle, or the identities of their passengers (even if it is just the driver).

Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,864.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Interesting.... Let assume you can hear someone sing or play a song, and run you finger down the frets of one string and stop at the root note (key) of the song being sung, when you hear it.....then proceed to play the song from the memory of the fingering and positioning of the chords for that key. (I play many instruments).

Are you able to do this from singing, or humming internally.....just like you can do it from external singing/humming?
I would just do it from memory. Like, you want some oatmeal, and you remember where you put the oatmeal in the pantry, so you go to it. Same with fingering an instrument.
.e.g. Sometimes a song comes to my head and I sing it to myself without making audible sounds that others can hear. Then I sit at the piano to play it.....and I first find the key to the song that I am singing in my mind.....so I can play it in the same key I heard it in my mind......

Are you able to do this?
Yes, I can do that. But what you call "singing" the song in your mind I do by "thinking" the song in my mind.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would just do it from memory. Like, you want some oatmeal, and you remember where you put the oatmeal in the pantry, so you go to it. Same with fingering an instrument.
The my playing environments....I dont always start the song......Singers start and I must be able to find the key and then proceed to play the song from memory of that key.....if the song is known. If the song is not known.....I must continue to match the harmonies until the song is sung once, then it is from memory.

The finding of the key cannot be done from memory...... Are you saying that you must be told the key of a song before playing....or you always set the key for others to follow?

Yes, I can do that. But what you call "singing" the song in your mind I do by "thinking" the song in my mind.

I see....... so the "Thought" has a sound that you can match on your strings correct?

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaon
Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I believe that we all see colors differently, yet similar enough to all identify the same colors.......or do we?

In fact, I believe it possible that you Identify Red as blue and when I see blue you see red. And we will forever call red blue and blue red and never know it, because this is what we were taught to call the color we see...... As long as each color has a unique word.....we will believe that we are in harmony when, in fact, we arent.

The spiritual ramifications are mind boggling.
I agree, but, I don't see (no pun intended) any spiritual ramifications.

Upvote 0