Do you believe the prophet Elijah wll return in the end times?

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟401,080.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
In Malachi 4:5-6,

"Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the LORD: And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse''.

Do you believe this is a reference to John the Baptist (who is compared to Elijah in other parts of the bible), or Elijah himself? I believe this passage refers to Elijah himself coming back in the end times, for several reasons. First of all, the Old Testament does reference the end times in other passages (like Daniel mentions the Antichrist), and the day of the Lord is mentioned in Peter in the NT (in the clear context of the end times). Here is an interesting commentary on what the day of the lord is. The Day of The Lord -- The Event That Starts The End of The World | Beginning And End
I believe as some have already stated here, that John the Baptist actually was Elijah, that God sent Elijah back, and this is why I believe this:
Malacai 4:5-6
“See, I will send the prophet Elijah to you before that great and dreadful day of the Lord comes. 6 He will turn the hearts of the parents to their children, and the hearts of the children to their parents; or else I will come and strike the land with total destruction.”

Mathew 11:14 "And if you are willing to accept it, he is the Elijah who was to come."

you can't get more clear than that, Jesus literally saying "if you are willing to accept it, he is the Elijah who was to come."

Upvote 0