Do you believe the prophet Elijah wll return in the end times?

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
In Malachi 4:5-6,

"Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the LORD: And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse''.

Do you believe this is a reference to John the Baptist (who is compared to Elijah in other parts of the bible), or Elijah himself? I believe this passage refers to Elijah himself coming back in the end times, for several reasons. First of all, the Old Testament does reference the end times in other passages (like Daniel mentions the Antichrist), and the day of the Lord is mentioned in Peter in the NT (in the clear context of the end times). Here is an interesting commentary on what the day of the lord is. The Day of The Lord -- The Event That Starts The End of The World | Beginning And End

Bobinator

Jul 30, 2007
✟11,899.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In Malachi 4:5-6,

"Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the LORD: And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse''.

Do you believe this is a reference to John the Baptist (who is compared to Elijah in other parts of the bible), or Elijah himself? I believe this passage refers to Elijah himself coming back in the end times, for several reasons. First of all, the Old Testament does reference the end times in other passages (like Daniel mentions the Antichrist), and the day of the Lord is mentioned in Peter in the NT (in the clear context of the end times). Here is an interesting commentary on what the day of the lord is. The Day of The Lord -- The Event That Starts The End of The World | Beginning And End

I believe that scripture in Malachi is in reference to the spirit of Elijah, and not a physical manifestation of Elijah himself. We know that the spirit of Elijah manifested himself through John the Baptist, since Jesus said so. However, the spirit of Elijah must manifest again before the Last Day.

Elijah's greatest testimony was that he turned the Israelites back to worshipping the Lord after challenging the prophets of Baal on Mt. Carmel. He proved that the Lord was God, culminating with his defiance of Jezebel and the slaughter of 850 of Baal's prophets, and of the Grove, and eventually Jezebel herself, through Elisha, who inherited Elijah's anointing.

John the Baptist's ministry was similar, in that he preached repentance and turned many to God. Jesus called John the greatest prophet of the Old Testament because of this. Other prophets did great miracles and brought judgment on the land. But John the Baptist brought people closer to God. Because of this, he was called the greatest.

Today's gospel being preached on most pulpits are so far removed from God, that we are again in danger of being cursed. The first curse was during the fall of Adam and Eve, when there was a clear separation from God.

The second great curse happened during the flood, when God repented that he had made man because of the continuous thoughts of evil man had in his heart.

It is a great wonder that God would consider cursing mankind and the earth again because there is so much apostacy in the church world today, that most Christians no longer have the knowledge of the true and living God.

I believe the spirit of Elijah will manifest through God's true church that will preach an unadulterated gospel with repentance as the key note. They will be rejected by the world, and by many churches. But those who are truly called by God will hear and repent. Then the end will come.

Luke 18:8- "... Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall hefind faith on the earth?"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

phydaux

Oct 22, 2014
Hudson, NH
✟14,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There is a minority view among among evangelical fundamentalists called premillenialism. It says that the events in the book of Revelation are yet to be fulfilled. One of those events is the Two Witnesses. Many believe that Elijah is one of the Two Witnesses, Moses being the other.

As I said, this is a minority view among evangelical fundamentalists. The fact that the majority is WRONG about this bothers me not at all.

Upvote 0

phydaux

Oct 22, 2014
Hudson, NH
✟14,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As an aside, scripture refers to the Second Coming of Christ as our "Blessed Hope." The idea that the one book of the new testament that is primarily focused on Christ's Second Coming, the book of Revelation, has already been fulfilled but Christ hasn't come yet strikes me as neither very blessed nor very hopeful.

That isn't meant to be a reasoned arrangement in favor of premillenialism. It's simply an observation.

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I believe He has already came. As Jesus said, John the Baptist was Elijah. The was the great and terrible day of the Lord described.
You will notice that John the Baptist came in the spirit and power of Elijah. His father Zacharias was told by the angel "And many of the children of Israel shall he turn to the Lord their God. And he shall go before Him IN THE SPIRIT AND POWER OF ELIAS" (Lk 1:16,17).

There is no question that John the Baptizer was John the Baptizer, not Elijah the Baptizer. He was even given the name John specifically by God (Lk 1:13).

But Jesus said "Elias truly shall first come, and restore all things all things" (Mt 17:11). This was a reference to the prophecy of Malachi concerning the coming of Elijah before the Day of the Lord (Mal 4:5). In other words Jesus said that without the shadow of a doubt the original Elijah would come to earth.

Then Jesus said "But I say unto you that Elias is come already and they knew him not..." (Mt 17:12). What Christ meant here (and to correspond to the angel's prophecy) is that John the Baptist had come in the same fearless spirit and power that Elijah displayed during the reign of Ahab, by displaying the same characteristics to Herod, as well as fulfilling the ministry of preparing hearts for the Lord, as will Elijah in the future.

So John was the figurative "Elijah" at the first coming of Christ, but the real Elijah will come to earth before the Day of the Lord and the second coming of Christ (Rev 11:3-12). He will again cause rain to be held back for 3 1/2 years (Rev 11:6) just as he did in the days of Ahab. He will be a "witness" for Christ, to prepare the Jews for the coming of the true Messiah after the Day of the Lord.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There is a minority view among among evangelical fundamentalists called premillenialism. It says that the events in the book of Revelation are yet to be fulfilled. One of those events is the Two Witnesses. Many believe that Elijah is one of the Two Witnesses, Moses being the other.

As I said, this is a minority view among evangelical fundamentalists. The fact that the majority is WRONG about this bothers me not at all.

I am in 100% agreement with this. Moses and Elijah appeared to Christ at His transfiguration, and those two prophets (representing the Law and The Prophets) will appear again during the rule of the Antichrist and preach for 3 1/2 years before the Great Tribulation (aka the Day of the Lord). The miracles of Moses in Egypt and those of Elijah in Israel will be duplicated. These two men will be murdered at the end of their ministry, and after three days they wil be resurrected and taken up to Heaven (see Rev 11:3-12)

At the same time, a minor correction. "The Blessed Hope " is the Rapture, when Christ comes FOR His saints. "The Revelation" (Rev 1:6) is the second coming of Christ WITH His saints and "with power and great glory".

Upvote 0

dragongunner

Jul 30, 2012
Indiana
✟9,578.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You will notice that John the Baptist came in the spirit and power of Elijah. His father Zacharias was told by the angel "And many of the children of Israel shall he turn to the Lord their God. And he shall go before Him IN THE SPIRIT AND POWER OF ELIAS" (Lk 1:16,17).

There is no question that John the Baptizer was John the Baptizer, not Elijah the Baptizer. He was even given the name John specifically by God (Lk 1:13).

But Jesus said "Elias truly shall first come, and restore all things all things" (Mt 17:11). This was a reference to the prophecy of Malachi concerning the coming of Elijah before the Day of the Lord (Mal 4:5). In other words Jesus said that without the shadow of a doubt the original Elijah would come to earth.

Then Jesus said "But I say unto you that Elias is come already and they knew him not..." (Mt 17:12). What Christ meant here (and to correspond to the angel's prophecy) is that John the Baptist had come in the same fearless spirit and power that Elijah displayed during the reign of Ahab, by displaying the same characteristics to Herod, as well as fulfilling the ministry of preparing hearts for the Lord, as will Elijah in the future.

So John was the figurative "Elijah" at the first coming of Christ, but the real Elijah will come to earth before the Day of the Lord and the second coming of Christ (Rev 11:3-12). He will again cause rain to be held back for 3 1/2 years (Rev 11:6) just as he did in the days of Ahab. He will be a "witness" for Christ, to prepare the Jews for the coming of the true Messiah after the Day of the Lord.

Malachi 4:5-6 King James Version (KJV)

5. Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the LORD:

6. And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse.

Matthew 11:11-15 King James Version (KJV)

11. Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.

12. And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force.

13. For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John.

14. And if ye will receive it, this is Elias, which was for to come.

15. He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.

Nothing more I can add to that, it speaks for itself.

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Malachi 4:5-6 King James Version (KJV)

Nothing more I can add to that, it speaks for itself.

Actually, you need to tell us if the Day of the LORD -- that great and terrible day -- was manifested when Christ was on earth. And if not, then when will it be and who will that Elijah be? Simply quoting Scripture with no explanation does not answer the question.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dragongunner

Jul 30, 2012
Indiana
✟9,578.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Actually, you need to tell us if the Day of the LORD -- that great and terrible day -- was manifested when Christ was on earth. And if not, then when will it be and who will that Elijah be? Simply quoting Scripture with no explanation does not answer the question.

Your explanations were opinion, speculation without proof. The scriptures I shared are what the Lord himself said, no opinion or speculation or explanation needed. You either believe or you don't. The Lord said he was Elias. I can't with the wisest of words, or opinion or explanations change that, nor do I even desire too. You either accept it or you don't. Argue all you want, but I accept what Jesus said. But not all will hear I guess.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
maybe

we know that John the Baptist is a "type" of Elijah

and we know that Elijah and Moses were with Jesus when He appeared transfigured on the mountain

maybe God will choose Elijah to be one of the two witnesses near the End Times
or maybe it will be another prophet like how John the Baptist was a "type" of Elijah
I think both are real possibilities
but neither view seems to be definitive

Upvote 0

classicalhero

Jun 9, 2013
Perth,Western Australia
✟11,338.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
One view is that the two witnesses of Revelation are Elijah and Enoch, since they are the only two people before Jesus to not see death. But there is certainly good biblical evidence that Elijah will be a witness but the Bible doesn't say, but references to Elijah coming before the Day of the Lord is strong indicator he will be there but since no one is out rightly mentioned it is really speculation.

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
One view is that the two witnesses of Revelation are Elijah and Enoch, since they are the only two people before Jesus to not see death. But there is certainly good biblical evidence that Elijah will be a witness but the Bible doesn't say, but references to Elijah coming before the Day of the Lord is strong indicator he will be there but since no one is out rightly mentioned it is really speculation.
The other view is Moses and Elijah, but with sufficient scriptural grounds, based on the nature of the miracles and the correspondence between the 3 1/2 year drought at the time of Ahab and the same at the time of the Antichrist. Also, at the Transfiguration it was Moses and Elijah who met with Christ and spoke to Him face-to-face. Therefore they would be the most appropriate "witnesses" to the glorified Savior in Heaven.

The angel told Zacharias that John would come "in the spirit and power of Elijah" (Lk 1:17). He also told him that the child would be named "John" not Elijah (Lk 1:13). And when Jesus alluded to John as Elijah He conditioned that as follows: "And IF ye will receive it, this is Elias, which was for to come" (Mt 10:14). Receiving John as though he were Elijah would have meant national repentance for Israel (as it will be during the Day of the Lord). It was not to be, so Elijah will indeed come to earth as Elijah to fulfill the prophecy of Malachi 3:1-6 and 4:5,6.

Upvote 0
F

fozzy

The other view is Moses and Elijah, but with sufficient scriptural grounds, based on the nature of the miracles and the correspondence between the 3 1/2 year drought at the time of Ahab and the same at the time of the Antichrist. Also, at the Transfiguration it was Moses and Elijah who met with Christ and spoke to Him face-to-face. Therefore they would be the most appropriate "witnesses" to the glorified Savior in Heaven.

The angel told Zacharias that John would come "in the spirit and power of Elijah" (Lk 1:17). He also told him that the child would be named "John" not Elijah (Lk 1:13). And when Jesus alluded to John as Elijah He conditioned that as follows: "And IF ye will receive it, this is Elias, which was for to come" (Mt 10:14). Receiving John as though he were Elijah would have meant national repentance for Israel (as it will be during the Day of the Lord). It was not to be, so Elijah will indeed come to earth as Elijah to fulfill the prophecy of Malachi 3:1-6 and 4:5,6.

If John was a type of Elijah at the first coming why would the final Elijah be the actual man and not a type as well? I agree that that one of the two witnesses is most likely this Elijah figure and these two men are killed at the end of their 3 1/2 year ministry. Could Elijah and Moses be killed after going to heaven and being transfigured with Christ?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dragongunner

Jul 30, 2012
Indiana
✟9,578.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
So then if John who was the Elias who was to come, as Jesus said……and the "great day of the Lord" hasn't happened yet, then he has already come before that day. Just like the scriptures say. No where does it say the 2 witnesses will be Moses, or Elijah. If so I would like to see that. The scriptures say Elijah will come first, and Jesus said he has come. Just because it was 2000 years ago doesn't make it less true. He was to come first, and he did. That 2000 years to us is a long time, but Peter said a thousand years is but a day and a night to the Lord. So then Elijah to the Lord came 2 days ago in his time.

Upvote 0
F

fozzy

The day of the Lord prophecies in the OT all talk about destruction and vengeance and God punishing the world for their sins. That didn't really happen at the 1st coming. Jerusalem and the temple were destroyed but I don't see that as God's vengeance on the world. The book of Revelation, however does sound like the day of the Lord with war and famine and natural disaster and the 7 last plagues. The day of the Lord is the day the Lord appears and that is broken up into 2 parts with the 1st and 2nd comings so there will most likely be another Elijah figure like John. This final Elijah will have supernatural power like the real Elijah who called fire down out of heaven. So there will be no mistaking when he shows up. I've never seen Benny Hinn call fire down out of heaven.

Upvote 0

Anna the Seeker

Oct 27, 2014
✟8,980.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've mainly heard three two kinds of theories for this.

In the first theory Elijah already returned slightly before the birth of Jesus, reborn as John the Baptist (scripture has some support for this).

In the second theory Elijah doesn't return literally, but people act in the spirit of Elijah. So what is meant with the return of Elijah is other people doing his work.

In the third theory Elijah will return as one of the Two Witnesses in the last days - the other witness would be Enoch. In the other words, the two humans that never experienced death (being among the first ever raptured) return as Two Witnesses, but because all humans must die at least once, they will experience death in the last days (and second rapture three days later).

Upvote 0

hiservant

Jun 7, 2021
Horatio
✟8,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Upvote 0