up there
✟307,381.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Where do you get any of that from? Worst case of projection yet.
It was Jesus' Gospel of the Kingdom... and also of prime importance in the beginning of the Lord's Prayer. The rest of the prayer addressed our time here in earth and asked to be delivered from the evil which is our world made in our self serving image, which happens when the Father returns to govern mankind, His Kingdom come.
Never seems to be much emphasis put on this, probably because it directly affects the power of Adversary and it's minions which is us and our self governed world. Man is self centred in life and in Christianity and wants it all to be about us. Jesus on the other hand said His will be done...not ours.

• Agree
Reactions: Religiot
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Christian religious movements classified as 'cults' are not usually secret. You are thinking of a different use of that word.

He is getting confused between "cults" and "the occult"

• Agree
Reactions: Albion
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If not the short word for occult, then what is the problem with Christian cults? is that not what any denomination is?

Two different words. I'm sure they are linguistically related from Latin. The occult refers to something that is hidden, while cults in the original definition was a small religious group led by a charismatic leader. Often they were mystical, and hidden so that gets into the where the two seem kind of the same, but technically speaking Christianity in the first few centuries fit this definition as well.

• Agree
Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,695.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It was Jesus' Gospel of the Kingdom... and also of prime importance in the beginning of the Lord's Prayer. The rest of the prayer addressed our time here in earth and asked to be delivered from the evil which is our world made in our self serving image, which happens when the Father returns to govern mankind, His Kingdom come.
Never seems to be much emphasis put on this, probably because it directly affects the power of Adversary and it's minions which is us and our self governed world. Man is self centred in life and in Christianity and wants it all to be about us. Jesus on the other hand said His will be done...not ours.
You simply can't help yourself, can you. You try to spam every other thread, regardless of topic, with your "kingdom" narrative.

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,381.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You simply can't help yourself, can you. You try to spam every other thread, regardless of topic, with your "kingdom" narrative.
Sorry you think Jesus' Gospel of the Kingdom and the Lord's prayer where it is put foremost is your idea of spam. His entire mission was based upon it. The Kingdom/governance of God, which as Jesus said, was the good news.

"And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come" (Matthew 24:14)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,695.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Sorry you think Jesus' Gospel of the Kingdom and the Lord's prayer where it is put foremost is your idea of spam. His entire mission was based upon it. The Kingdom/governance of God, which as Jesus said, was the good news.

"And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come" (Matthew 24:14)
The topic is, "Do you believe the dead are concious?" When you post about the kingdom in threads that are about other topics, what you are engaging in is spamming. It is a comment on your behaviour, not on the subject of the kingdom. Please take your false accusations elsewhere.

(fixed typos)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Religiot

Mar 15, 2020
Private
✟29,006.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Two different words. I'm sure they are linguistically related from Latin. The occult refers to something that is hidden, while cults in the original definition was a small religious group led by a charismatic leader. Often they were mystical, and hidden so that gets into the where the two seem kind of the same, but technically speaking Christianity in the first few centuries fit this definition as well.
Yes, that's how I understand it: Christianity to me, is very much a cult, in the sense of the word; for it is indeed a cultivation, God's cultivation.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,381.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The topic is, "Do you believe the dead are concious?" Whe you post about the kingdom in threads that about other topics, what you are engaging in is spamming.
It answers what I was asked... and you were not even involved.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I'm curious what everyone believes about the dead and if they are conscious or if you believe they are sleep until the resurrection?

I read a book called are the dead alive now? Which says the dead are sleep until Jesus returns. So I just accepted that but recently I've had experiences that pretty much confirm to me that people are conscious pretty much instantly after they die. I don't really want to get too deep into those experiences but I'm wondering what you all believe?

I believe they are fully conscious and in a spiritual foretaste of what likely awaits them at the Day of Judgement. And unlike most Protestants, but like CS Lewis, I believe we should remember them in our prayers.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
If we're no longer on Earth then time has no relevance anyway. Time as we know it is only relevant because we orbit a star.

If Jesus comes back to Earth in the year 9021 then it makes no difference to me if I'm in the eternal kingdom. 'Eternal' surely means NO past or future. Not in the parameters that WE currently understand anyway...

That would be so awesome by the way, if our Lord returned in the far future when Earth has become the capital of an evil galactic empire ruled by malevolent demon-possessed AI computer systems. :angel:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hawkins

Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2005
Canada
✟238,144.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm curious what everyone believes about the dead and if they are conscious or if you believe they are sleep until the resurrection?

I read a book called are the dead alive now? Which says the dead are sleep until Jesus returns. So I just accepted that but recently I've had experiences that pretty much confirm to me that people are conscious pretty much instantly after they die. I don't really want to get too deep into those experiences but I'm wondering what you all believe?

Some are conscious. Some are not. Those not are thus in paradise.

Upvote 0

Hawkins

Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2005
Canada
✟238,144.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There isn't any reason to think those in Paradise were not conscious. If that were the case, Christ could not very well have preached to them (as he did) between the time of the Crucifixion and the Resurrection.

They can be awakened up at some point, like Samuel.

Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟288,577.00
Faith
Christian
That would be so awesome by the way, if our Lord returned in the far future when Earth has become the capital of an evil galactic empire ruled by malevolent demon-possessed AI computer systems. :angel:

"Oh, those people in the 21st century WERE right!" Exclaimed the empire - all in near perfect unison: "what are we to do?"

"No biggie" said Jesus: "just come with me, I shall tell you everything you need to know."

^ Let's be honest, if it DOES reach a stage where a galactic empire has Earth in a stronghold, then you could forgive a bit of spiritual indifference. Even in my lifetime, Christianity has seen an enormous decline of interest. At least in the UK.

Churches are nothing more than heritage landmarks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Even worse, the dead are already dead. Those around you who do not believe are already in Hell. When they die the distractions fall away and they have nothing. So they are "aware" but there is nothing to be aware of. They are in a void with nothing to be aware of. Just their own thoughts and life choices. It's all weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Half-ready for Anything.....
Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

I think we can only look to the New Testament for answers in this since Jesus changed our fate of what dying could mean. The Bible being a double-edged sword says that the dead are sleeping, but Jesus told the men He was crucified with that they would done with Him in paradise. This is odd because those men were not baptized and did not repent, but I guess the exception was made because they were with the Lord. What luck those men had, no? We know nothing about them so they must have been at the right place at the right time. It does not say that they would " sleep" in paradise, so I am not sure. I think that the people resurrected with Christ the first time, like Abraham, and David and everyone else are conscious and enjoying heaven but I feel that everyone who died AFTER the Resurrection could be asleep. Which would mean that Mary, His mother, is not even conscious in heaven right now. She is asleep as well as the Apostles. It may be different though for them since Jesus knew them personally and they touched Him. We really have no way of knowing. I think they could be conscious though because my dead father told me I had cancer. I wasn't feeling right and had a completely blank mind with no thought and I heard my father's voice in my spirit say " Babe, it's your female organs," and sure enough. I had cervical cancer and they got it. That was 25 years ago. ( Wow! That makes me sound so old!)
I have never heard my father's voice in my spirit since then so who knows?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,381.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
and did not repent
But one was seeking self interest, while the one Jesus said was saved was not concerned for self but the oppression of another (Jesus). Hence he had repented of the selfish ways of man and was acting in the ways of the Kingdom.

Upvote 0