Do you believe fornication should be illegal?

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
If you go back about sixty or so years and count up all the deaths, abortions, fatherless children leading to countless murders in the streets, hundreds of thousands of court hours spent adjudicating child support and paternity cases, and the cost of treating venereal diseases you'll find all kinds of reasons to make it illegal.
I agree. I think the sexual revolution of the 60s has done our society much harm, but how can such law be enforced? What about those under 18?

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Mom always said, "Idle hands are the devil's workshop." I reckon if we keep them fornicators busy at hard labor they'll be too tired to be thinkin' about fornicatin' anymore. You may be onto something.

Of course, there is a lot of fornicatin' going on in prisons, so we might just be sentencing them to utopia. There is that.

Surely something like Narkina V from Andor could effectively prevent fornication in the penal colonies.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
I agree. I think the sexual revolution of the 60s has done our society much harm, but how can such law be enforced? What about those under 18?

I already explained how the law could enforced, seriously, in my otherwise semi-satirical* post preceding the last one, You can harness AI technology, which we have, to monitor sound coming from people’s houses, which can be monitored by aiming lasers at their windows and affixing motion sensors to their rooftop ventillation. Throw in pervasive CCTV and you have the high tech solution.

Alternately just do what the DDR did and make 1/4th of the population informants.

*The term from the Jargon File as maintained by Eric S. Raymond is “Haha, only serious”, a common view among systems programmers and UNIX developers (which was historically my day job before this illness made even sitting at a workstation, even a vintage Sun Sparcstation running the latest OpenBSD operating system, an exercise in torture. My presence with you now is a product of wireless keyboards).

As an aside, I think I got chatgpt 4 to do an improved image of the propaganda poster for my proposed utopian society, so for your collective enjoyment:

IMG_6362.png

Now I think I might well derive some enjoyment from living in such a futuristic society, but I imagine other members of the forum would find such a brave new world where sex is limited to the married and those who violate the law turned into slave labor to be more of a dystopia. However given my relative lack of sympathy for adulterers, it is pleasurable to imagine what could be accomplished if they were put to a more productive use for the rest of us.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I already explained how the law could enforced, seriously, in my otherwise semi-satirical* post preceding the last one, You can harness AI technology, which we have, to monitor sound coming from people’s houses, which can be monitored by aiming lasers at their windows and affixing motion sensors to their rooftop ventillation. Throw in pervasive CCTV and you have the high tech solution.

Alternately just do what the DDR did and make 1/4th of the population informants.

*The term from the Jargon File as maintained by Eric S. Raymond is “Haha, only serious”, a common view among systems programmers and UNIX developers (which was historically my day job before this illness made even sitting at a workstation, even a vintage Sun Sparcstation running the latest OpenBSD operating system, an exercise in torture. My presence with you now is a product of wireless keyboards).

As an aside, I think I got chatgpt 4 to do an improved image of the propaganda poster for my proposed utopian society, so for your collective enjoyment:

View attachment 341011

Now I think I might well derive some enjoyment from living in such a futuristic society, but I imagine other members of the forum would find such a brave new world where sex is limited to the married and those who violate the law turned into slave labor to be more of a dystopia. However given my relative lack of sympathy for adulterers, it is pleasurable to imagine what could be accomplished if they were put to a more productive use for the rest of us.
oops! I need to slow down.

• Friendly
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

MarkSB

May 5, 2006
✟67,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I fear you are missing the point. By my guess, there are easily fifty million adulterers and other sexual perverts in the United States; considering our total population of of something over 331 million. Why settle for an incarceration rate of only 0.7% when you can have a full 15%, sentenced to a lifetime of hard labour, of service to the state and the people? We could, with such a labor force, build infrastructure and public works on a scale unseen since the Roman Empire. Liberated from the workforce, we could quintuple the size of our military forces every three years, ensuring complete national security, while those citizens who abstained from sexual immorality would live in the very gardens of a technological and social utopia.

All of this can be ours if we simply start taking sexual deviance seriously.
Lol. That picture at the end summed it up nicely. But I'm still not quite sure how to take these posts...

Some of the posts in this thread make me grieve a little bit for the church. Even applying the general label of "adulterer" to an entire group of people, and not recognizing any other part of their identity seems so contrary to the doctrine of Christ. It seems like your defining an entire person's life by one act, and not seeing any other part of who the person is. Thanks to God that He doesn't view all of us in that way, because we would all be doomed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joseph G
Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Lol. That picture at the end summed it up nicely. But I'm still not quite sure how to take these posts...

Some of the posts in this thread make me grieve a little bit for the church. Even applying the general label of "adulterer" to an entire group of people, and not recognizing any other part of their identity seems so contrary to the doctrine of Christ. It seems like your defining an entire person's life by one act, and not seeing any other part of who the person is. Thanks to God that He doesn't view all of us in that way, because we would all be doomed.

God will forgive adulterers who repent, like any other sin. No one is denying that.

However, the state can and should punish adultery in order to re-prioritize the integrity of the nuclear family.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟963,064.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
However, the state can and should punish adultery in order to re-prioritize the integrity of the nuclear family.

How should the state punish them?

Could we just maybe do a hefty fine or maybe make them wear a scarlett "A" instead of locking them up at taxpayers expense? Maybe put them all in a stiffer IRS tax bracket? Maybe? Anything but jail, please.

Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟245,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Could we just maybe do a hefty fine or maybe make them wear a scarlett "A" instead of locking them up at taxpayers expense? Maybe put them all in a stiffer IRS tax bracket? Maybe? Anything but jail, please.
So you're anti-jail? Cool. But this thread isn't about jail or taxpayer money or libertarianism. Maybe start a thread on that topic if it's where your head is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟963,064.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
But this thread isn't about jail or taxpayer money or libertarianism. Maybe start a thread on that topic if it's where your head is.
It's about making fornication illegal. Illegalities result in punishments. So, how do you recommend punishing them? What are the consequences to be?

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
It's about making fornication illegal. Illegalities result in punishments. So, how do you recommend punishing them? What are the consequences to be?

Well I suggested, half seriously,* that they be used as a labor force where those such as doctors, lawyers, accountants etc, would serve the poor according to their professional qualifications, whereas engineers, construction workers, farmers and so on would be tasked with infrastructure and food production projects, so as to meet the needs of punishment, deterrence and social justice simultaneously by taking those who have acted as home-wreckers and those who have cheated on their spouses and require them to spend a few years serving others as just punishment for their selfishness.

*perhaps more accurately using the concept known to advanced computer programmers as “hhos” (for ha ha only serious), which is well defined in the Jargon File maintained by my friend Eric S. Raymond. The Jargon File

Upvote 0

MarkSB

May 5, 2006
✟67,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God will forgive adulterers who repent, like any other sin. No one is denying that.

The bible says again and again that righteousness comes only from the Spirit of God. Families are best maintained when their members willingly follow God and abide by His word. It's not something that you can force people into with the threat of punishment or through the use of human laws.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
The bible says again and again that righteousness comes only from the Spirit of God. Families are best maintained when their members willingly follow God and abide by His word. It's not something that you can force people into with the threat of punishment or through the use of human laws.

I am not disputing that at all.

Upvote 0

Ragdoll

Apr 26, 2022
Madison, WI
✟22,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Our founding fathers encouraged morality but did not enforce it by law. That is the best we can do. The big problem right now is that we have a party that has lost all morality that is forcing immorality on the population. They do not ever encourage good morality. So this problem is a leadership problem in terms of encouraging the right morality. Seems like the only thing they do is attack Christian morality. Yet I'm not one to believe in forcing morality. It's like making a false convert and not many Christians want that.

Though there is one thing that could be banned that is useless to society and does more harm then good and that is inappropriate contentography. I think the filters reword that but its the P word industry. America doesn't need that or strip bars. There is a strip bar not far from where I live and it used to be a very nice high class restaurant that provided jobs for the community. Now its a den of colke dealers and women strung out on drugs. So the P industry and strip bars can go and America will be a better country without it.

Some of you have been talking about abortion which I think is a touchy issue. I don't even like to talk about it here because people report everyone who disagrees with abortion and so the topic is basically banned from the site. However, I hold to the Trump position for a good reason and I'll explain that and then leave it at that.
Trump's position on abortion is that after six weeks abortion is banned except in cases of rape and live of the mother. I find that policy acceptable and a good compromise. To completely ban abortion is political suicide since no Candidate has ever won a Republican primary running on complete and total ban on abortion. Unfortunately we live in a society that has many unbelievers now and trying to force our Christian beliefs on that will only cause a ton more friction where we don't need it. I am personally pro-life and opposed to abortion. But this idea that we can force our Christian values on a population that is no longer Christian just doesn't sit well with me. Its sad anyone has to speak this way but here we are. So the Trump position is the best position because it allows us to save the country and move forward instead of backwards. Without that forward move to progress we cannot ever hope to encourage stronger morality in the future.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Christopher0121

Brother In Christ
Jun 28, 2011
Ohio
✟35,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
We'd have to define "fornication". Typically, it is better translated "sexual immorality". Then we have to determine what constitutes "sexual immorality". Not all "sexual immorality" involves another. And some forms of "sexual immorality", according to older Christian traditions, can be committed by husband and wife.

Some might argue that "fornication" should be strictly defined as coitus between two unmarried adults. What constitutes a "marriage"? Must it be licensed by the civil government? Some Christian churches recognize the covenant of marriage as being distinct from the civil union licensed as marriage. These churches are typically more fundamentalist or they are separationists like the Quakers. Some old school Quakers have a tradition wherein a couple can marry within their community privately without the union being licensed with the government. The couple drafts their marriage covenant and work out their legalities through powers of attorney and wills. In states that still recognize "Common Law Marriage" these marriages become legally binding. In states that do not recognize Common Law Marriage these unions are not legally binding. After the legalization of gay marriage some Baptist churches in Texas decided to advise their parishioners not to seek civil marriage licenses. These churches have chosen to recognize Christian marriage as distinctly separate from civil marriage.

The point is, this gets complicated real fast. I think it's best to leave issues like these alone. Sometimes I wonder if it was a good idea to have the government involved at all. Since government largely took over marriage, we've seen divorce rates sky rocket as the government has made divorce more lucrative than staying together and working things out in many cases. Not to mention, the government has redefined the institution.

Marriage used to be a private contract (written or verbal) recognized under common law. We might want to reconsider the entire framework of "civil marriage" and opt for private marriage contracts in addition to civil marriage contracts. Those wanting a civil union could get one, while those who desire a private marital arrangement might opt for a private marriage contract. Here's an article explaining one way this might work...

Marriage Proposal: Why Not Privatize?
Partnerships Could Be Tailored to Fit
January 22, 2006
By COLIN P.A. JONES

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,780.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Before insisting on Christian laws, shouldn't we outlaw the worship of other gods?
After all that's the first commandment of the 10 commandments.
Then we can get into what version of Christianity we want to enforce.

• Love
Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

MarkSB

May 5, 2006
✟67,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am not disputing that at all.
So one might ask - What are your goals then?

If the segment of the church that wants to use government to force Christian morals on unbelievers came to the realization that this is not God's will, the church (and dare I say the country and the world) would be much better off for it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0