Do you believe fornication should be illegal?

MarkSB

May 5, 2006
✟67,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If I had been asked this Q even 20 years ago, I would have said No or Probably not

Today I say that it should be illegal. The reason why is this: You can create a child doing that. And today, that means or could mean DEATH to the child

I feel that is saying enough, right there.

Then there's this, though. Even if it doesn't mean DEATH of the child, it could mean BAD things for the child. Children should be raised by 2 parents committed to one another. I have seen utter disasters happen w/ single moms/absent fathers.. children prone to violence and lawlessness due to lack of discipline (mothers were not really meant to be the .. ultimate disciplinarian of children)

By that reasoning, guns should be completely outlawed as well - because you could shoot someone and kill them.

A child/pregnancy is not a necessary outcome of fornication (just like it's not a necessary outcome of sex within marriage, either).

Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟382,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
No. Should we also outlaw gluttony, laziness, and making bad financial decisions? I think some things are better left as matters of conscience. Especially if we want to live in a free society. Fornication should be discouraged, avoided, and treated as socially unacceptable, but not outlawed.

Upvote 0

discombobulated1

Mar 25, 2024
Claremore, OK
✟2,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
By that reasoning, guns should be completely outlawed as well - because you could shoot someone and kill them.

A child/pregnancy is not a necessary outcome of fornication (just like it's not a necessary outcome of sex within marriage, either).
Your first sentence makes NO sense. Guns do not kill people; people do.

Fornication doesn't just magically happen. It takes the free will of 2 people. Many times it is 2 very ignorant people. People do things thatseem right and good, only to find out later when the consequences ensue that what they did was WRONG. By that time, there are babies to be cared for ...etc. And there is no greater, and in many ways more 'taxing' a job than parenting... Children are innocent victims of their parents' mistakes. This should not be.

And if you think that Christ should not govern.. You won't like when He returns and sets up His Kingdom..

Upvote 0

discombobulated1

Mar 25, 2024
Claremore, OK
✟2,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
No. Should we also outlaw gluttony, laziness, and making bad financial decisions? I think some things are better left as matters of conscience.
I didn't know gluttony produced children who can then legally be killed?

ditto laziness and bad financial decisions... Who knew?

Things should be left to the conscience? ! Please. Some people don't even have one of those. I guess you're oK with those people having children, then either killing them and/or raising them. Yes, it's lovely when one or both of your parents has no conscience.. !

Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟382,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I didn't know gluttony produced children who can then legally be killed?

ditto laziness and bad financial decisions... Who knew?

Things should be left to the conscience? ! Please. Some people don't even have one of those. I guess you're oK with those people having children, then either killing them and/or raising them. Yes, it's lovely when one or both of your parents has no conscience.. !

The topic is fornication. Not abortion. Although I personally maintain that abortion should be illegal, it's quite possible to fornicate in ways that don't result in pregnancy. And that's what this thread is about. Whether it should be illegal for people to fornicate.

If I recall correctly, some states have laws that ban various sexual acts. To my knowledge, such laws are seldom effective and are regarded as a joke because they are not enforceable. Unless the government installs cameras in everyone's bedroom, or you illegally spy on your neighbors, you are not going to know what consenting adults do in the privacy of their own homes.

"Looks like the unmarried 50-something couple next door are fooling around again. Better call the cops!"

How about no. Calling the cops on one's neighbors for fooling around is a terrible idea. If they're Christians, then they should know better. If they're not, then it shouldn't come as a surprise that they don't share Christian values.

Upvote 0

MarkSB

May 5, 2006
✟67,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Fornication doesn't just magically happen. It takes the free will of 2 people. Many times it is 2 very ignorant people. People do things thatseem right and good, only to find out later when the consequences ensue that what they did was WRONG. By that time, there are babies to be cared for ...etc. And there is no greater, and in many ways more 'taxing' a job than parenting... Children are innocent victims of their parents' mistakes. This should not be.

And if you think that Christ should not govern.. You won't like when He returns and sets up His Kingdom..

As the poster above stated (and as I mentioned in my post) - fornication does not always result in having a child. Just like owning a gun doesn't always result in someone using it to kill another human being.
The problem here is that it is not Christ who is governing. In the situation which you and others are proposing (where fornication is outlawed), it is imperfect human beings who are doing the governing. And they are likely doing it with hypocrisy, and by intruding into other people's lives in a manner that is neither Godly nor righteous.

The uber-controlling, legalistic view which you and others here have presented misses the mark on biblical / Jesus centered Christianity in so many ways that I really don't know where to begin.

Last edited:
Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

MarkSB

May 5, 2006
✟67,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

This type of oversimplified, cliched one-liner has no place in an intelligent political discussion. If we applied that type of reasoning to every weapon, then hand grenades and rocket launchers should also be legal.

Unfortunately, there are significant portions of the left and the right who love this type of drivel. It's a (rather sad) indicator of the sorry state of politics in America - where emotionally charged reactions are encouraged, and thoughtful consideration of an issue is discouraged. Instead of solving problems, the entire focus is on "winning": demonize your enemy at all costs, withhold truth and discourage thoughtful consideration, and play on people's emotions and prejudices as much as possible. How does any of that fit into the loving, kind, and humble viewpoint that is encouraged by the bible?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟821,456.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yes or No.

Looking for a discussion here, where Christians share their views on the matter. Some things to note are.
1. How will this benefit society?
2. Is this something God would want?
3. What risks will be eliminated?
We don't have the prison space to house the millions of people commiting fornication.

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,963.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes or No.

Looking for a discussion here, where Christians share their views on the matter. Some things to note are.
1. How will this benefit society?
2. Is this something God would want?
3. What risks will be eliminated?

No, actually.

1.) No benefit
2) God gives people liberty
3) privacy would be eliminated

Upvote 0