Do y'all just get a bad rap?

How did you come to belong to the Word of Faith movement?

• Raised in it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Saved/rededicated at a Word of Faith church.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Was first orthodox/protestant and was drawn to WoF.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Do not belong to WoF. / Left WoF.

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

JediMobius

The Guy with the Face
Jan 12, 2006
Beer City, Michigan
✟10,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The Babylon Bee (Christian satire "news" blog) recently posted an article juxtaposing several well-known "prosperity preachers" behind a Shark Week promo mock-up. I noticed, however, a man included among them whom I had regarded as a Grace preacher, Joseph Prince. I did not know he considered himself to be a Word of Faith preacher, only that his messages on grace sound very much like the gospel, like faith, to me. Of course, being surrounded by evangelicals and mainline protestants, "Word of Faith" is a dirty word, often uttered amid condemnation and the like.

Now I was rethinking the opinions I had absorbed, asking others to explain why Prince and others are so bad, what they really teach that leads people to hell. All I've gotten is rhetoric, bible verses speaking of wolves in sheep's clothing, etc, but nothing definitively heretical in a "prosperity" preacher's own words. I found this suspicious. One review of one of Joseph Prince's books finally seemed to be reasonable, but the more I discussed its conclusions, the more i had to question whether the reviewer gave the reader the full context, so I downloaded the book for myself to find that, indeed, Prince's words were taken out of context. I even started defending the Osteens, giving them the benefit of the doubt, after looking up a few articles on their website and finding all these little mustard-seed examples of faith that could be planted in people's day-to-day lives.

So, all that to say I'm open-minded about the topic and not making attacks or assumptions. Brass tacks time. You all know what others say about the Word of Faith movement. What is there that y'all believe, really, that many Christians find so hard to swallow?

Is there any truth to the notion, for example, that because health and wealth come through faith, then a lack of health and wealth must signify a lack of faith?

Is it true that Word of Faith pastors preach a faith centered on the individual, and that individual's own needs?

Are there any such pastors who send out letters requesting donations in exchange for God's blessings i.e. the infamous "send us $20 and God will clear your debts!"?

hhodgson

Semper-fi
Site Supporter
Sep 20, 2011
Delphos, Ohio
✟613,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The Babylon Bee (Christian satire "news" blog) recently posted an article juxtaposing several well-known "prosperity preachers" behind a Shark Week promo mock-up. I noticed, however, a man included among them whom I had regarded as a Grace preacher, Joseph Prince. I did not know he considered himself to be a Word of Faith preacher, only that his messages on grace sound very much like the gospel, like faith, to me. Of course, being surrounded by evangelicals and mainline protestants, "Word of Faith" is a dirty word, often uttered amid condemnation and the like.

Never heard of The Babylon Bee so thanks for the blog info. FYI... Word of Faith does not have "prosperity preachers" or preach and teach a "prosperity gospel" simply because there is no such thing. I admit that there are some that do "single" out prosperity in most... if not all of their teachings, however... they are not WOF. With that said, All the WOF teachers that I watch and listen to preach the (whole council of God)... which btw, includes prosperity.

As far as Joseph Prince... yes, he mentions his WOF roots and he is an excellent Grace teacher in which (I also embrace) along with some other WOF believers. As far as "Word of Faith" being a dirty word, that came from our critics. Everyone has those.

Now I was rethinking the opinions I had absorbed, asking others to explain why Prince and others are so bad, what they really teach that leads people to hell. All I've gotten is rhetoric, bible verses speaking of wolves in sheep's clothing, etc, but nothing definitively heretical in a "prosperity" preacher's own words. I found this suspicious. One review of one of Joseph Prince's books finally seemed to be reasonable, but the more I discussed its conclusions, the more i had to question whether the reviewer gave the reader the full context, so I downloaded the book for myself to find that, indeed, Prince's words were taken out of context. I even started defending the Osteens, giving them the benefit of the doubt, after looking up a few articles on their website and finding all these little mustard-seed examples of faith that could be planted in people's day-to-day lives.

We also Love Joel Osteen (whose father was a strong WOF believer). Joel mostly teaches a message of HOPE, while Joseph Prince mostly teaches on GRACE. Kenneth E. Hagin who (passed on) is considered the founder of our movement (which is not associated with any denomination). Hagin mostly taught on FAITH. They all teach on salvation, healing, deliverance, and prosperity coupled with Grace, Faith, Hope, and Love.

So, all that to say I'm open-minded about the topic and not making attacks or assumptions. Brass tacks time. You all know what others say about the Word of Faith movement. What is there that y'all believe, really, that many Christians find so hard to swallow?

One could write a book on "Just what you're asking." If you have interest in Word of Faith, I have enclosed three threads that will give you the idea for starters....

Exploring the Word of Faith Movement
WOF teaches
Why WoF Didn't Work for Me in the Past

Is there any truth to the notion, for example, that because health and wealth come through faith, then a lack of health and wealth must signify a lack of faith?

Yes, we believe that health and wealth (and ALL of His promises to us) come through GRACE through faith... in the finished works of Jesus Christ on the cross. Usually a lack of faith is a lack of the knowledge, and the understanding of His Word.

Is it true that Word of Faith pastors preach a faith centered on the individual, and that individual's own needs?

Our faith is centered on faith (in) God... and the faith (of) God for our individual needs.

Are there any such pastors who send out letters requesting donations in exchange for God's blessings i.e. the infamous "send us $20 and God will clear your debts!"?

Not as much as one thinks, (or what the critics say)... and as far as Word of Faith, I do not know of any teacher that uses that "infamous" style today. Some may have started out that way but eventually (changed their thinking). At the top of my head I could name (4 or 5) popular "faith" teachers that seem to be always doing this but... they are not WOF.

411127f3-4e88-4dc9-aed9-994f67ab4913_zps6ew4jj6k.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: JediMobius
Upvote 0