• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Do we live in a simulation?

Discussion in 'News & Current Events (Articles Required)' started by Percivale, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Percivale

Percivale Sam Supporter

+184
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Confirmed! We Live in a Simulation
    I am not at all convinced by this article that suggests our whole universe is a program on some kind of computer; it's two reasons for believing we are in a simulation are that the speed of light is a limit caused by the computer's processor speed, and that consciousness has no evolutionary purpose so it must exist for the benefit of the people watching or playing in the simulation.
    To the latter point I say theism is another good explanation; indeed this simulation hypothesis is a kind of theism, probably polytheism or something like Hinduism. Doesn't Hinduism teach that the universe is Brahma's dream?
    Our reality does seem to be designed to be as interesting as possible, with a lot of human happiness being sacrificed to make history more fun to observe. Since I believe in life after death and am basically universalist I think we'll all benefit from being able to look back on all the interesting history we've lived through.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. A_Thinker

A_Thinker Well-Known Member Supporter

+7,343
    Christian
    Married
    Off the top of my head, it seems to me that creating a simulation of life ... would be much harder than creating life ...

3. Hans Blaster

Hans Blaster Well-Known Member

+3,210
    Atheist
    Private
    I'll note that the article was published on April 1.

If the author is serious about this, I should note that those who propose such things (simulation universe) don't seem to be very well versed in actually simulating things with computational devices. If so, they'd probably not be so inclined to make such claims.

4. Goonie

Goonie Not so Mystic Mog. Supporter

+8,233
    United Kingdom
    Atheist
    Single
    April 1st. I almost fell for the guardian article about building a second Suez canal.

5. Strathos

Strathos No one important

+5,469
    Christian
    Single
    US-Democrat
    I've always said that the simulation hypothesis is just a scientific - sounding version of the God hypothesis.