Do we in American understand what persecution is?

bred11six

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
✟7,659.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have experienced persecution in America. The first time I experienced it was when I was with the Detroit Lions football team. I am on fire for God and wanted to get everyone saved. I was very open with my faith. I invited the whole wide receiver squad to my church and they came even out position coach came too. He is a member at my church. I also invited some other guys and they came as well. We had conversations in the cafeteria about God after our volunteer workouts. One day while we were in the cafeteria I asked the staff members if they wanted to come to my church and none really accepted the offer they looked at me crazy. Then one week later I found myself released from the team. They say it was because I was the last wide receiver on the list but it's not a coincidence that you get released after inviting them to ur church when a few days ago ur coach tells you that you will be in training camp.

There was another incident after the Lions I played in the UFL and we had won a football game. I was excited because we won that game by the power of God. I told one of the coaches glory to God and he got really upset and offended by that. He was telling other people in the locker room how I offended him and I shouldnt have brought God up after the game. This was the same coach who 2 weeks ago told me he was a believer in Christ and that he was saved. I was then a week later released by the team. That's not a coincidence that's because I was on fire and had to let it out but the Holy Spirit has dealt with me about not telling some people about God cuz they will reject it. If you look in Acts the Holy Spirit told Paul not to preach in Asia cuz they weren't ready to receive yet so I'm growing more on listening to the Holy Spirit when to talk and when not to. I'm still glad I was bold in the name of the Lord.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Then one week later I found myself released from the team. They say it was because I was the last wide receiver on the list but it's not a coincidence that you get released after inviting them to ur church when a few days ago ur coach tells you that you will be in training camp.
Actually, it could have been for the reason they gave you. Or it might have been for something personal other than your faith.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What do you mean by that?
What I mean by that is many in America lack the perspective to see what real persecution constitutes. Some people might make fun of you if you declare your faith and abstain from a commonly accepted, but sinful activity. That is wrong. But it's not in the same league as what the Christians in the Roman Empire went through, or what Christians in places like India, China, or Egypt go through today. If somebody can honestly say they were beaten because of the faith or had weapons drawn on them because of the faith or if their property or their church's property was defaced because of the faith, or if they were disowned/disinherited because of the faith, then they can claim persecution with a measure of credibility.

Upvote 0

bred11six

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
✟7,659.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sketcher said:
Actually, it could have been for the reason they gave you. Or it might have been for something personal other than your faith.

Yea I thought about that but when I had a conversation with my bishop He used to be the team Chaplin for the Detroit Lions and he knows they are not welcome to hearing the word.

Upvote 0

bred11six

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
✟7,659.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
bred11six said:
Yea I thought about that but when I had a conversation with my bishop He used to be the team Chaplin for the Detroit Lions and he knows they are not welcome to hearing the word.

When Tebow always gave glory to God and Christ sooo Many people got on him about it. Linebacker from the ravens and the bronco quarterback behind tebow was upset cuz he always talked about Christ they said this stuff on espn. I've had Many talks with other christians in the NFL and they had to tread water when talking bout Christ you can't be open or they will find a way to get you out I can give you more testimonies from other teammates so you can know that this is real.

Upvote 0
T

Theofane

Professional athletes aren't supposed to use a sports telecast as a vehicle for promoting their personal beliefs, anyway. Would an outspoken atheist player catch the same heat for doing the equivalent of what Tebow does?

I see again and again how some Christians don't know how to pick their spots. Being on fire for God is great, of course, but you really have to pick your spots!

Upvote 0

bred11six

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
✟7,659.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Theofane said:
Professional athletes aren't supposed to use a sports telecast as a vehicle for promoting their personal beliefs, anyway. Would an outspoken atheist player catch the same heat for doing the equivalent of what Tebow does?

I see again and again how some Christians don't know how to pick their spots. Being on fire for God is great, of course, but you really have to pick your spots!

Did the Holy Spirit tell you that athletes aren't supposed to use sports telecast to witness to people or is that your personal opinion?

Upvote 0

Memukan

Sep 19, 2011
Tampa, Florida
✟15,300.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Just throwing this out there.....

I hear and read people claiming persecution for the smallest of things in American society these days.

My mormon friends claim that ANYTHING they interpret as anti-mormon is persecution, but unfortunately anything they don't agree with as anti-mormon.

A friend of mine who smokes says that banning smoking in bars is persecution.

Another friend from church is trying to convince me that social laws about gay marriage are persecution.

I try to point out the millions of people around the world who have lost family, friends, home, jobs and even their lives because of their faith in Christ or even how they vote....and I get called names.

Are we, as a society, getting so infected with taking our freedoms for granted that we've forgotten what being truly without those freedoms would mean? Has everything that doesn't go our way just get given a label so we can claim persecution?

Worse yet, have we being spoiled children who are looking at the toy we want by any means necessary instead of looking towards the loving Father who is giving us our love and blessings?

I can't be the only person getting fed up seeing people who know better just trying to whine their way in to what they want.

No! The American church is waiting on the rapture and many will fall away when real persecution comes. We hear about real persecution every day. The mistake of American Christians is they think the REAL EKKLESIA is the American Church which it aint.

Memukan

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

revrobor

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Checotah, OK
Visit site
✟21,005.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not sure if what I experience is Christian persecution. I go to a high school here in America, where all sense of morals and decency comes to die. And I come to school with relatively formal, dated dress (suit with a bow tie), and I'm tortured for it. With my Christian beliefs, I feel very uncomfortable wearing such indecent clothes and talking with such vulgarity, and others interpret this as me being homosexual (I'm not gay). Where do they get this idea? I have no idea. They make fun of me, telling me to squat in a church. Which is interesting, because I never talk about my faith much in public. I just tell them that I'm morally opposed to vulgar language and indecent clothing. Does this count as persecution? I'm not sure. All I know is that I'm the most miserable person I know, and continue to beg Christ to help me.

I'm sorry to hear this is happening to you. It's called bullying and it's common in American schools. People who do it usually have an inferiority complex and feel better when they can put someone else down. It may be happening to you because you have let them know that you believe there clothing is indecent and their language vulgar. If you have then you should stop and blow off any comments they make about you. If they see they are hurting you it adds to their pleasure. Smile about it if you can. As believer we need to "pick our battlegrounds" and ask the Lord for guidance in what to say and where to say it. Remember too that what you call indecent clothes and vulgar language is not the issue they are just symptoms. And frankly, if you are the only student in the entire school wearing a bow tie you will be seen as a "geek", "weirdo" and any number of other labels. Besides a bow tie is not a Christian symbol. Can you lose it?

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No.

American Christians tend to have no perspective. Too many of them think that someone looking at them cross-eyed is persecution.

Meanwhile, there are Christians in other countries who are being jailed simply for possessing a Bible. THAT is true persecution - not a clerk at Target failing to say "Merry Christmas" to you after you've purchased your items.
Ringo

Upvote 0

All Englands Skies

Christian-Syndicalist
Nov 4, 2008
Midlands
✟221,057.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Like the UK, I will say no, we are disrespesected and stereotyped though, I dont know, if things will change and people will try to actually oppress us, who knows.

But you see Christians in the Muslim world and China, North Korea etc and you see what persecution of Christians really is.

Upvote 0