Do we have to keep all the New Testament commands?

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Loving God includes things that have nothing to do with human neighbours.

I think you posted before you saw my edit, so I added:

Let me add a human example. What if you decided you loved me and you showered me with gifts, gave me many compliments, praised me up and down to everyone you meet, etc., but let's say I'm also a parent and you hate my kids. You bully them, you degrade them, you try to mentally and physically harm them, you discard them, you trod on them, and you talk bad about them to everyone you meet.

What message is that sending to me? Love?

Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟908,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was surprised to not find any articles on google addressing this question. There is plenty on the question of whether or not the Old Testament commands are binding but not the New Testament commands.

More specifically my question is this:

In light of the fact that there are something like 1000 commands/exhortations/instruction in the New Testament. Do we have to keep all of them all the time in order to live blamelessly before God as Christians today? Ie. Acts 24:16, Phil 2:15, 1 Tim 6:14.

In other words, is it possible to regularly do things(or fail to do things) that we are instructed not to do in the NT without actually sinning against God?

I realize that there are some things that are obviously of paramount importance, (Like believing the Gospel). But what about all those nitty gritty instruction on how to live, how to do church etc. Are all of those binding on us? (as in we have to do them all, all the time) If so why? Romans 13:8 says "the one who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law." That would lead me to believe that as long as you truly are loving your neighbor as yourself there could be ten thousand ways that you could knowingly and purposefully disregard a NT command without displeasing God at all. Is this logic faulty? Where does the bible say that we have to do everything written in the NT perfectly all the time in order to keep from sinning against God?
Love your God and Love your neighbor. It is not always easy but yes, this is the least we can do.
Blessings

Upvote 0

MikeinSeattle

Looking for believers to pray with. Message me.
Mar 22, 2019
Seattle
✟34,689.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And yet humans will attempt to do everything in our power to put everyone back under the yoke of law since humans just can't seem to accept that God's gift of grace is free and there is nothing whatsoever we can do to earn it. Humans seem to enjoy turning the new covenant into even a more burdensome rulebook than the law of Moses,

This is what I feel like as well. Yet even so God didn't write His laws arbitrarily. They are a refection of what He actually desires us to do. He told people on multiple occasions "sin no more" and obeying that requires an accurate and correct knowledge of what "sin" is. And the only way we can gather that is by looking at His laws. So it seems we are free from the law. Yet at the same time there is some way in which we need to follow it at the same time in order to do "what is pleasing in His sight".

The framework that we use to go about accomplishing that is what I do not know. Because it would seem that at times that keeping a particular rule would be the wrong thing to do. For instance "lieing to protect Jews from holocaust" to use an example yet there are infinite situation. How do we know which instructions in the NT can be broken without sinning? Or even can they be? Id like to see someone recommend a book or article on this if any is known.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I thought your edit was completely irrelevant to the point. Your argument is fallacious. Worship of God comes before everything else.

Do you think God is going to care how often you pray, how often you read the bible, how many times you go to church each week, etc. if you hate his very own children? What message are you sending to him? Love?

• Agree
Reactions: philadelphos
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
This is what I feel like as well. Yet even so God didn't write His laws arbitrarily. They are a refection of what He actually desires us to do. He told people on multiple occasions "sin no more" and obeying that requires an accurate and correct knowledge of what "sin" is. And the only way we can gather that is by looking at His laws. So it seems we are free from the law. Yet at the same time there is some way in which we need to follow it at the same time in order to do "what is pleasing in His sight".

The framework that we use to go about accomplishing that is what I do not know. Because it would seem that at times that keeping a particular rule would be the wrong thing to do. For instance "lieing to protect Jews from holocaust" to use an example yet there are infinite situation. How do we know which instructions in the NT can be broken without sinning? Or even can they be? Id like to see someone recommend a book or article on this if any is known.

If we say "yes" to God and allow the Holy Spirit to do his transforming work in us, we have no desire to sin, even without a rulebook.

Galatians 5:18

Many people have been saved without ever having read or heard any of these "laws", many of which are not *our* instructions in the first place.

The issue here is people are trying to pull out a bunch of rules in the NT, put them all in the form of a list with checkboxes, and as long as they've checked all the boxes, they're okay, but that's not how it works. When we allow the Holy Spirit to work in us, he is the one who convicts our sin and guides us into righteousness. We don't need to worry about any checkboxes. He's taken care of it already.

What is pleasing in his sight is putting our full trust in him and letting *him* do the work in us. We run into trouble when we put that trust in ourselves.

Upvote 0

MikeinSeattle

Looking for believers to pray with. Message me.
Mar 22, 2019
Seattle
✟34,689.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If we say "yes" to God and allow the Holy Spirit to do his transforming work in us, we have no desire to sin, even without a rulebook.

Rom 12

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

I have not seen any scripture to indicate that renewing of the mind happens through anything other than understanding the scriptures.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you think God is going to care how often you pray, how often you read the bible, how many times you go to church each week, etc. if you hate his very own children? What message are you sending to him? Love?

Do you think God cares how much charity work you do if you never wish to communicate with Him, and ignore His commands?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

In light of the fact that there are something like 1000 commands/exhortations/instruction in the New Testament. Do we have to keep all of them all the time in order to live blamelessly before God as Christians today? Ie. Acts 24:16, Phil 2:15, 1 Tim 6:14.
Mike, we cannot live blamelessly or keep all the commands. if we could, we would stand before God able to present ourselves as worthy of heaven on our own merits and would not require a Savior. Remember that we are also taught that even the just man falls seven times a day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Rom 12

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

I have not seen any scripture to indicate that renewing of the mind happens through anything other than understanding the scriptures.

Well if you believe your own mind is going to help you more than the Holy Spirit, then you are of course entitled to your beliefs. I'm personally going with the Spirit on this one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Do you think God cares how much charity work you do if you never wish to communicate with Him, and ignore His commands?

His command is for us to love each other as he loved us. John 13:34. So if you really believe you can love God and hate your neighbor at the same time, then of course you are entitled to that belief, but I'm going to stick with my view that you can't have one without the other, that they are not separate from each other.

Upvote 0

ajcarey

Jun 3, 2019
Midwest
✟46,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Just look at the examples in the Bible:
- Was Aaron loving his neighbor as God required when he accommodated the people and made the Golden Calf for them? He gave them what they wanted and the people thought it was loving, but it wasn't love by God's definition- it was lust, sinful compromise, and idolatry. Did God expect the Israelites to follow those rules He had laid out on the tablets of stone? Absolutely.

We're told in the New Testament:
1 Corinthians 10:7-12 " Neither be ye idolaters, as were some of them; as it is written, The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play. Neither let us commit fornication, as some of them committed, and fell in one day three and twenty thousand. Neither let us tempt Christ, as some of them also tempted, and were destroyed of serpents. Neither murmur ye, as some of them also murmured, and were destroyed of the destroyer. Now all these things happened unto them for examples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.
Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall."

- What about Noah? He spent decades building an ark because of God's instruction to him? What if he had taken all that time and labor and used it to help the poor instead? He would have looked better in the eyes of men, but he would have been failed God. And he also would have been hating his neighbor in actuality because that ark was their only hope of salvation from God's judgment. Just because hardly anyone got on doesn't mean Noah didn't need to heed God and provide the opportunity. It is only because he did that the blood of his neighbors who perished is off of his hands. As has been said here, love starts with heeding God's instructions and we have obligations towards God that don't involve people directly. And Scripture proves that what man and God consider love are often at odds with each other. People will try to justify anything and everything as love just because someone appreciates it. That is a deadly mentality. No one can have a right heart towards God who doesn't seek to agree with and do everything He said. Those who see His Word as a burdensome rulebook must have contrary values and priorities. Tell Him on Judgment Day that His commands were a burdensome rulebook and that you had found a better way. It won't go well for you. God would never lead anyone by His Spirit to go contrary to His Word.

1 John 5:2-3: "By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous."

It should also be noted that the righteous people in the Bible also understood that you cannot just receive His grace through blood atonement without submitting to the Law of God which was violated, the Law concerning which the violation of necessitated that the sinner die eternally. It was always set forth by God from the Fall that no one can partake of His grace and mercy who does not have a contrite heart and brokenness in mourning over their offense; and who does not choose to agree with His Law and whatever He has commanded in humble submission. The true God has a right to reign over our lives- and He will not relent on this right and justify anyone who does not yield to Him and live in recognition of that right. You cannot produce an example of salvation in the Bible that doesn't prove this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So if you really believe you can love God and hate your neighbor at the same time, then of course you are entitled to that belief

I never said that.

Breach of a New Testament command (the one against falsehood) right there.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Loving God and putting His will before our own... is loving neighbour as self.

Well, no.

Loving neighbour is important, but loving God is even more important, and that includes things that have nothing to do with other people.

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was surprised to not find any articles on google addressing this question. There is plenty on the question of whether or not the Old Testament commands are binding but not the New Testament commands.

In other words, is it possible to regularly do things(or fail to do things) that we are instructed not to do in the NT without actually sinning against God?

I realize that there are some things that are obviously of paramount importance, (Like believing the Gospel). But what about all those nitty gritty instruction on how to live, how to do church etc. Are all of those binding on us? (as in we have to do them all, all the time) If so why? Romans 13:8 says "the one who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law." That would lead me to believe that as long as you truly are loving your neighbor as yourself there could be ten thousand ways that you could knowingly and purposefully disregard a NT command without displeasing God at all. Is this logic faulty? Where does the bible say that we have to do everything written in the NT perfectly all the time in order to keep from sinning against God?
Though I had never seen a number associated with NT commands, they are in fact binding.
They can all fall under the sub-headings of love God above all else and love your neighbor as you love yourself.
The apostles "list" of "commands are to enable us to all serve God in the same ways, so if you are at some far away site and they start speaking of Christ you can instantly be on-board...or be able to tell that they are not of God.
Besides, Christians have been reborn of God's seed and the exhortations of the apostles are part of our new creature's divine nature.

Are there any "commands" you are having particular trouble with?
Modest dress?
Sobriety?
Man's laws?
Fellowship with unbelievers?

• Informative
Reactions: ajcarey
Upvote 0

Loversofjesus_2018

Nov 13, 2018
West coast
✟32,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We must follow all laws in the NT.
We must follow the OT laws that are not mentioned in the NT.
Anyone who is not obeying the laws are not of God.
I really wish somebody can help me out. Maybe I’m in the minority but I do t do everything Jesus said to do all the time. How did you enter into this perfection in your daily walk where is you sin no more? Or if anybody else wants to explain how they entered into this sinless life I’d like to know. Thanks

Upvote 0