Do ugly women have a right to beautify themselves?..

Roosamaria

Aug 5, 2007
✟17,884.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Apostoles Paul and Peter told women should not beautufy themselves. But is this not unfair to ugly women? They don't get married then anymore these days, they don't even get friends. They feel bad and have lowsy self esteem. They get bullied and discriminated. It's hard to get educated and succeed on corrier. Naturally beautiful women live a happy life. Little work with face and hair could help a lot.

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟162,355.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Apostoles Paul and Peter told women should not beautufy themselves. But is this not unfair to ugly women? They don't get married then anymore these days, they don't even get friends. They feel bad and have lowsy self esteem. They get bullied and discriminated. It's hard to get educated and succeed on corrier. Naturally beautiful women live a happy life. Little work with face and hair could help a lot.
Ignore the mysogynists!

Paul advised against marriage but conceded that it was 'better than burning'!

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,344.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The real beauty comes from health, fitness and behavior. Not from insignificant details like hair styles or colors.

You would be surprised how quickly and easily men analyze if a woman is attractive or not. And they are almost blind to a hair change, its not the thing men focus on. Some "beautifying" that is popular among women (like huge earrings, vulgar clothing or too long nails) have actually the opposite effect.

Sure, you can choose a hair style that fits your face, its not a sin. However, it will not make you significantly more or less attractive, not to say for marriage.

Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟162,355.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You would be surprised how quickly and easily men analyze if a woman is attractive or not. And they are almost blind to a hair change, its not the thing men focus on.
And a pretty face goes a long way too. I recently attended a party where half of the women did not wear make-up and wore dowdy clothes. Given their christian background, I think their appearance was influenced by that Pauline nonsense.

It's fine with me. I think I know which of the women had more fun!

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,344.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And a pretty face goes a long way too. I recently attended a party where half of the women did not wear make-up and wore dowdy clothes. Given their christian background, I think their appearance was influenced by that Pauline nonsense.

It's fine with me. I think I know which of the women had more fun!
A decent make-up is fine as long as the face you are looking at is still real. Such a decent make-up does not take much time, so its not what Paul/Peter were talking about.

However, a healthy diet, not smoking, not drinking alcohol, sleeping regularly all night will do much more than a make-up put on an unhealthy face.

• Winner
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟162,355.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Hi, what verse is this, please? I'm looking at and assuming 1 Timothy 2:9-15 but it seems to refer to conduct in worship only.

Many thanks!
It could be Timothy, but you can be absolutely certain that it was a man who thought he could dictate what women should - and should not - do. And behold, they are still around.

Pay them no attention.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I do believe it was meant in the sense of not emulating Roman culture.

A woman who learns to do a light makeup to hide a blemish or two and styles her hair a little or dressing appropriate to your body type isn't untoward, and Christian women do this everyday. Just keep the look very natural and it will remain modest.

It should be reiterated that a woman who is confident, self reliant, and comfortable in her own skin is what men find attractive.

Men who place looks above a personality that makes a great spouse and life partner aren't good men to marry.

Become comfortable and secure in your own skin and confident in your abilities and you'll have to beat them off with a stick - no matter what you think you look like...

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
As long as they are not hurting anyone why is it a problem?

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,933.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced

See 1Peter 3:3-4

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Roosamaria

Aug 5, 2007
✟17,884.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Thank you everyone! I have to admit that i do makeup my face usually if i go somewhere and i dye my hair and do hair stylings... Bible anyway talks lots about brides getting beautiful for their grooms for their wedding day, and Old testament speaks also much about jewelry and things like that. And even Jesus talked about decent dressing for party in a way. So i think beautifying yourself cannot be totally cursed. But sometimes i think about those verses. And i'm also thinking about getting even more beautifications like fake lashes, fake nails, hair extensions and even fake boobs. No operation, just plastic boobs. Because I was born with lowsy those all. And just recently i have realized how much looks mean in this world we live in. And i think this might be one reason why i have been pushed down in a way. In our World women must find job and get employed. Doing that looks usually mean alot in today's world. I think in new testament times women possibly lived in different kind of situation.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,344.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ah, yes, another man instructing women how to comport themselves!

He might have added - 'Get back into the kitchen!' I expect somewhere in That Book he did exactly that.
Women tell men how to behave, men tell women how to behave, its normal, not something to be hysterical about.

Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟162,355.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Women tell men how to behave, men tell women how to behave, its normal, not something to be hysterical about.
There are no women in the Bible offering authoratative advice on how men should look. That is the normality that I reject.
A decent make-up is fine as long as the face you are looking at is still real. Such a decent make-up does not take much time, so its not what Paul/Peter were talking about.
Do you detect any condescension there?

Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟909,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you everyone! I have to admit that i do makeup my face usually if i go somewhere and i dye my hair and do hair stylings... Bible anyway talks lots about brides getting beautiful for their grooms for their wedding day, and Old testament speaks also much about jewelry and things like that. And even Jesus talked about decent dressing for party in a way. So i think beautifying yourself cannot be totally cursed. But sometimes i think about those verses. And i'm also thinking about getting even more beautifications like fake lashes, fake nails, hair extensions and even fake boobs. No operation, just plastic boobs. Because I was born with lowsy those all. And just recently i have realized how much looks mean in this world we live in. And i think this might be one reason why i have been pushed down in a way. In our World women must find job and get employed. Doing that looks usually mean alot in today's world. I think in new testament times women possibly lived in different kind of situation.
Self confidence goes a long way towards being attractive. I recommend dressing for yourself, not men or women. When you are comfortable with your own style that makes you feel beautiful then you will more likely feel and appear confident. Make up, hair, bust size, butt size, etc are far less important than personality when it comes to forming a relationship bond that leads to marriage and maintains that marriage.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,344.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There are no women in the Bible offering authoratative advice on how men should look. That is the normality that I reject.
Try to google it or youtube it, then. There are many sources, not just Bible. Men tell women what to do, women tell men what to do, since the beginnings of humanity.

Do you detect any condescension there?
No, I detect my opinion about what is fine and what is not.

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,933.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
Ah, yes, another man instructing women how to comport themselves!

He might have added - 'Get back into the kitchen!' I expect somewhere in That Book he did exactly that.

It can be taken as an uplifting comment to someone who feels like a "Plain Jane".

"Just like peoples faces are all different,
so too, are their minds different."

(Midrash Rabbah Ramidbar 21)

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,596.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

No, I don't quite think that Paul and Peter said specifically "Don't beautify yourselves, EVER!" I think the reading of those texts in question mean more along the line of "don't rely solely on, or place your utmost value as a women, on the things the things that Grecian, Uppity woman do (uber fine apparel and all dat). Let your beauty be focused by upon allowing Christ to shine forth from within your heart and mind."

But if you want to wear some nice clothes, fix your hair up, or put a little make up on, there's nothing really wrong with that.

Upvote 0