Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can a Christian swear an oath?

Matthew 5:
33 “Again, you have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘Do not break your oath, but fulfill to the Lord the vows you have made.’ 34But I tell you, do not swear an oath at all: either by heaven, for it is God’s throne; 35or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. 36And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. 37All you need to say is simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.

Jesus warned against easy and routine oath swearing practiced by some Jews at the time. There were proper occasions, 2 Corinthians 1:
23 But I call on God as witness against me: it was to spare you that I did not come again to Corinth.

Galatians 1:
20 In what I am writing to you, before God, I do not lie!

Yes, swearing before a judge is okay. A marriage vow is okay. Etc.

Dahveed

May 25, 2023
Zion
✟18,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 5:
33 “Again, you have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘Do not break your oath, but fulfill to the Lord the vows you have made.’ 34But I tell you, do not swear an oath at all: either by heaven, for it is God’s throne; 35or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. 36And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. 37All you need to say is simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.

Jesus warned against easy and routine oath swearing practiced by some Jews at the time. There were proper occasions, 2 Corinthians 1:
23 But I call on God as witness against me: it was to spare you that I did not come again to Corinth.

Galatians 1:
20 In what I am writing to you, before God, I do not lie!
If you swear in truth, ‘As surely as the Lord lives,’ then the nations will invoke blessings by him and in him they will boast.” Jer 4:2
Yes, swearing before a judge is okay.
But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him. 1 Cor 6:17
He commanded us to preach to the people and to testify that he is the one whom God appointed as judge of the living and the dead. Acts 10:42-44
A marriage vow is okay. Etc.
For God will indeed judge the fornicators and adulterers. Heb 13:4-8
No one born of a forbidden marriage may enter the assembly of the Lord; Deut 23:2
“If God were your Father, you would love Me, He is the One who sent Me." John 8:41-42

Grace be with all those who love our Lord Jesus Christ, the Messiah. Amen. Eph 6:24
As many as received Him, were John 1:12-13 Born of imperishable seed. 1 Peter 1:21-23 Born of God. 1 John 5:1

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟83,577.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you swear in truth, ‘As surely as the Lord lives,’ then the nations will invoke blessings by him and in him they will boast.” Jer 4:2
Thanks for the reference. This is how to do referencing in a scholarly manner:
  1. Display and indent the quoted text.
  2. Selectively bold the relevant keywords that are important to the point that you are making. No need to bold the entire sentence. Have a laser-sharp focus.
  3. Be concise and precise to the point. No need to quote the whole chapter.
This is what I do for others who read my posts. It is a standard high-school scholarship. If you practice this, I guarantee you: it will improve your analytical thinking. In any case, no one is required to do it :)

Upvote 0

Dahveed

May 25, 2023
Zion
✟18,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the reference. This is how to do referencing in a scholarly manner:
Display and indent the quoted text.
Selectively bold the relevant keywords that are important to the point that you are making. No need to bold the entire sentence. Have a laser-sharp focus.
Be concise and precise to the point. No need to quote the whole chapter.
This is what I do for others who read my posts. It is a standard high-school scholarship. If you practice this, I guarantee you: it will improve your analytical thinking. In any case, no one is required to do it :)
You can run amok in your analytical thinking.

For God gives wisdom and knowledge and joy to a man who is right in His sight; Eccl 2:26

At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore. Ps 16:11 Acts 2:33

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dahveed

May 25, 2023
Zion
✟18,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

For God gives wisdom and knowledge and joy to a man who is right in His sight; Eccl 2:26
Specifically ...
We trust in the living God, who is the Savior of all men, specifically of the faithful. 1 Tim 4:10

For they declare how you turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God, and to wait for His Son from heaven,
whom He raised from the dead, even Jesus who delivers us from the wrath to come. 1 Thess 1:9-10

‘And in your seed all the families of the earth shall be blessed.’ Acts 3:25-26

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟83,577.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

We trust in the living God, who is the Savior of all men, specifically of the faithful. 1 Tim 4:10

So how did I run amok in my analytical thinking on 1 Tim 4:10?

Upvote 0

Dahveed

May 25, 2023
Zion
✟18,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

For they declare how you turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God, and to wait for His Son from heaven,
whom He raised from the dead, even Jesus who delivers us from the wrath to come. 1 Thess 1:9-10

‘And in your seed all the families of the earth shall be blessed.’ Acts 3:25-26
So how did I run amok in my analytical thinking on 1 Tim 4:10?
How did your analytical thinking take hold of the things of faith?

I will put My Spirit in you, and you shall live; Ezek 37:14

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dahveed

May 25, 2023
Zion
✟18,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dahveed

May 25, 2023
Zion
✟18,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
and therefore we should not use it in any circumstances?
According to Martin Luther, analytical thinking is a perverse woman that never comes to the aid of spiritual things.

Has God not exposed the foolishness of this world’s wisdom? 1 Cor 1:19-21

But we speak of the wisdom revealed to us by God, which God predestined before the ages [to lift us into the glory of His presence]. 1 Cor 2:7

His incomparably great power for us who believe is the same power He exerted when He raised Christ from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly realms; Eph 1:19-20 Ephesians 2:6

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dahveed

May 25, 2023
Zion
✟18,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
According to Martin Luther, analytical thinking is a perverse woman that never comes to the aid of spiritual things.

Has God not exposed the foolishness of this world’s wisdom? 1 Cor 1:19-21
But we speak of the wisdom revealed to us by God, which God predestined before the ages [to lift us into the glory of His presence]. 1 Cor 2:7
His incomparably great power for us who believe is the same power He exerted when He raised Christ from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly realms; Eph 1:19-20 Ephesians 2:6
reference?
"Reason is a harlot, the greatest enemy that faith has ..."​

This is why the showers haven’t come— you have a harlot’s forehead; Jer 3:3 The double-minded will receive nothing from the Lord, James 1:7-8
Whilst a man is persuaded that he has it in his power to contribute anything, be it ever so little, to his salvation, he remains in carnal self-confidence;​
He that will maintain that the will of man is able to do or work anything in spiritual cases, be they never so small, denies Christ.​
When God's righteousness is mentioned in the gospel, it is God's action of declaring righteous the unrighteous sinner who has faith in Jesus Christ. The righteousness by which a person is justified (accounted righteous) is not his own but that of another, Christ.​
And though this world with devils filled, Should threaten to undo us, We will not fear, for God hath willed His truth to triumph through us.​
Martin Luther​

Greater is He that is in you, than he who is in the world. 1 John 4:4

Did we in our own strength confide, our striving would be losing;​
Were not the right Man on our side, the Man of God's own choosing;​
Doth ask who that may be?​
Christ Jesus it is He; Lord Saboath, His name;​
From age to age the same; His kingdom is forever! [A mighty fortress, ML]​

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟83,577.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you have a reference for the above?

This is how to do referencing in a scholarly manner:
  1. Give the name of the source.
  2. Provide the link to the source. It is the URL address.
  3. Indent the quoted text.
  4. Bold the relevant keywords that are important to the point that you are making.
  5. Be concise and to the point.
This is what I do for others who read my posts. It is a standard high-school scholarship. If you practice this, I guarantee you: it will improve your analytical thinking. In any case, no one is required to do it here :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dahveed

May 25, 2023
Zion
✟18,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you have a reference for the above?
Where is the scholar of this age? 1 Cor 1:19-21
This is how to do referencing in a scholarly manner:
‘They will all be taught by God.'
  1. Provide the link to the source. It is the URL address.
John 6:45
  1. Indent the quoted text.
Everyone who has heard the Father and learned from Him comes to Me.​
  1. Bold the relevant keywords that are important to the point that you are making.
I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades. Rev 1:18
  1. Be concise and to the point.
See, I have placed before you an open door that no one can shut. Rev 3:7-8
This is what I do for others who read my posts. It is a standard high-school scholarship.
They gathered together and reported how God had opened a door of faith to the Gentiles. Acts 14:27
If you practice this, I guarantee you: it will improve your analytical thinking.
I am the Door; whoever enters through Me will be saved, will live forever. John 10:9
In any case, no one is required to do it here :)
In any case, I know my own, I give them eternal life and they will never perish. John 10:27-30

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟83,577.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Where is the scholar of this age?

They gathered together and reported how God had opened a door of faith to the Gentiles. Acts 14:27

I am the Door; whoever enters through me will be saved, will live forever.
John 10:9

In any case, I know my own, I give them eternal life and they will never perish. John 10:27-30

You made this claim: According to Martin Luther, analytical thinking is a perverse woman that never comes to the aid of spiritual things.

So far, you have not told me where you read your claim.

Upvote 0

Dahveed

May 25, 2023
Zion
✟18,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Where is the scholar of this age? 1 Cor 1:19-21
I am the Door; whoever enters through Me will be saved, will live forever. John 10:9
You made this claim: According to Martin Luther, analytical thinking is a perverse woman that never comes to the aid of spiritual things.
So far, you have not told me where you read your claim.
"Reason is a harlot, the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things, but more frequently than not struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God."​

Analyze it as you see fit. However, according to some, Marty simply meant that outside of the faith, natural man's reasoning is suspect when it comes to spiritual things. But people who aren’t spiritual can’t receive these truths from God’s Spirit. 1 Cor 2:14 NLT

If you want to interpret well and confidently, set Christ before you, for He is the Man to whom it all applies, every bit of it.​
In the bonds of Death He lay Who for our offence was slain; But the Lord is risen to-day, Christ hath brought us life again, Wherefore let us all rejoice!​
For that purpose Christ instituted holy baptism, thereby to clothe you with his righteousness. ...I bestow on you my righteousness; I strip death from you and clothe you with my life.​
Martin Luther​

But whoever does not believe will be condemned. Mark 16:16

The doctrine of justification by faith is the head and the cornerstone. It alone begets, nourishes, builds, preserves, and shields and without it the church of God cannot exist for one hour.​
Martin Luther​

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟83,577.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Reason is a harlot, the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things, but more frequently than not struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God."​
Thanks for the quote. To save the effort of everyone, this is how to do referencing in a scholarly manner:
  2. Provide the link to the source. It is the URL address.
  3. Indent the quoted text.
  4. Bold the relevant keywords that are important to the point that you are making.
  5. Be concise and to the point.
This is what I do for others who read my posts. It is a standard high-school scholarship. If you practice this, I guarantee you: it will improve your analytical thinking. In any case, no one is required to do it here :)

Upvote 0

Dahveed

May 25, 2023
Zion
✟18,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I use First-Order Logic for formal reasoning. ...
And how is that working out for you? (1 Cor 15:3-4)
However, FOL does not always resolve a problem.
So what you're saying is that FOL left you out in the cold. (Gal 1:3-4)
Then I employ probabilistic analysis. David did as well.
Having raised Him from the dead, God has said, "I will give you the holy and sure blessings promised to David." Acts 13:34
When it comes to eschatological stuff, I often take the lazy way out, i.e., wait until after the facts.
Judge nothing before the appointed time; wait until the Lord comes...1 Cor 4:5
People tend to believe what they subjectively want to believe.
It's not about what they want to believe, it's based on a promise.

Then you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in Me, and I am in you. John 14:18-20
I have been reading the Bible every day since 1994.
Yet you refuse to come to Me to have life. John 5:40

Upvote 0