Do not love the world or anything in it.

Jesusisgood

Nov 9, 2010
✟15,992.00
Faith
Christian
15Do not love the world nor the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him

Isn't a lot of the things we waste time with instead of doing things for God's glory such as sports teams, celebrities, video games, tv, facebook and so forth things of this world? Why then do Christians still do them? I don't mean AT ALL to the extreme like becoming amish or not having hobbys(God gifted talents) but when we obsess or even give our time to sinful things on tv, and so forth yet tell God we don't have time for Him to pray, worship, or read our bibles? I am a Christian and I can honestly say once I stoped being a "fan" of worldly things I feel my guilt go away and closer to God's heart. Why then do we miss this verse, or love those things (like the verse says) more than God that we can't give them up?

15Do not love the world nor the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him

Isn't a lot of the things we waste time with instead of doing things for God's glory such as sports teams, celebrities, video games, tv, facebook and so forth things of this world? Why then do Christians still do them? I don't mean AT ALL to the extreme like becoming amish or not having hobbys(God gifted talents) but when we obsess or even give our time to sinful things on tv, and so forth yet tell God we don't have time for Him to pray, worship, or read our bibles? I am a Christian and I can honestly say once I stoped being a "fan" of worldly things I feel my guilt go away and closer to God's heart. Why then do we miss this verse, or love those things (like the verse says) more than God that we can't give them up?

There are many things in this world that are stumbling blocks to all of us, you are not alone; you are actually questioning our human nature and our sin nature. The truth is harsh and it's not easy to say but since we are of the fallen nature we appear as beasts to God, and as the offspring of the serpent. We are not Glorified at this time and have not yet become joint heirs in Christ until our transformation into Glorified flesh.

All of the things that we use are man made or man-modified. We have violated the Earth and polluted everything that God has designed and made for us. This land was to last for eternity and look at the world now, we have done something wrong along the way in our evolution.

I agree that we were created by God but He hasn't created our current spirits, that's a work of the adversary who changed the evolution of mankind and introduced lies about our origin only to blind and confuse us of our present nature and our future destiny.

A Bible parable speaks of a man who sells all that he owns and he gives all to the poor. This may not only have a literal interpretation but also a spiritual where the wise and awakened individual dumps all that he/she has learned through the world's education systems and learn of God, and then give that knowledge freely to others.

It matters what is in your heart, really. Even partaking of any man made thing is as partaking of this world. This brings to mind the story of Jesus when he went into the wilderness for 40 days and 40 nights to be tempted by the devil but Jesus refused all of that the devil offered. I see this wilderness as not a desolate land like a desert but a land without knowledge of God and the people were wicked, and Jesus had to mingle with all of the temptations that we face and yet he refused all things.

The disciples were instructed to depart from their homesteads with nothing except the clothes on their back and their shoes and they went out to preach the truth from house to house. They were also instructed to take no script with them, this means written scripture. The Holy Spirit gave them utterance and they needed no scripts. Today, every single person who canvases the neighborhoods with a religious agenda all have some sort of script or the Bible with them. This is sort of leading off-topic but the idea is that there is more corruption in this world than you can imagine and it's nearly impossible to sort out what is okay and what is not. It's easier to say that nothing is sacred, and to do exactly as the disciples did.

To depart from all man made things would be impossible for us today because of our dependency on all things that we have created and made. Heaven will be natural and man will not have any need for the former things that have passed away, he can't when they're gone.

Our eyes should be on heaven and what we do to store up our treasure there, and our hearts will dictate to our conscience the right things to do. There's a song that says when we turn our eyes upon Jesus and look full into his wonderful face the things of this world will grow strangely dim in the light of his glory and grace.

I suppose that we must learn what we may be trusted with, some have much but by their own means, while others have less by their own means. But what and how much will God trust us with? Are the material things of any spiritual value? Then why would it matter if we had nothing and died to this flesh?

I suppose that we must not be afraid of death and much less about this world of material objects; this then says that nothing of this world is of any value to God nor to his people who are like Christ in heart.

It really all or nothing, and has no place for compromise. A converted heart will learn to hate the wicked things that it once loved and love the holy things that it once hated, and the person's life will change accordingly and proportionately to their change of heart. Just as one acquires a taste for a special food, they must also learn to lose that acquired taste for worldly things. You may ask yourself: "How much can I do away with and still live and live for God?

God bless

Upvote 0

Nig

Aug 8, 2012
✟11,938.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
It is interesting to note that in the scriptures we have a word for world and a word for earth. They are not the same. It could be expressed thus that the world is that that is expressing dominion over the earth. We are not to love that dominion of darkness that is over the earth. We are those that inherit the earth. It is ours to bring the kingdom of God from heaven and see it brought to earth; displacing the kingdom of darkness that as a result of mans sin is in illegitimate authority over the earth.

Upvote 0

A New Day

Jan 7, 2013
✟16,921.00
Faith
Christian
thank you Jesusisgood for the interesting topic.

SG9 thank you that is an interesting, and I have a question for you, Or for anyone that likes to answer.

About the question of Jesusisgood:
Why then do we miss this verse, or love those things (like the verse says) more than God that we can't give them up?
you said:
It matters what is in your heart, really. Even partaking of any man made thing is as partaking of this world.

do you mean that 1 John 2:15 is impossible for us today?

Upvote 0
thank you Jesusisgood for the interesting topic.

SG9 thank you that is an interesting, and I have a question for you, Or for anyone that likes to answer.

About the question of Jesusisgood:

you said:

do you mean that 1 John 2:15 is impossible for us today?

Hello my friend,

I'll post the related verses to support my point of view.

1 John 2:15-17
King James Version (KJV)
15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

It's impossible to go the length that this might require to explain. I can best use other passages that may offer another perspective to your present viewpoint. I see that this involves more of our character than what is in the world. It's what we make of it and the things that we use. Each and every item in this world could make a topic of discussion when determining whether it's okay or not okay for a Christian, etc. There are too many debates about each so I just looked deeper and I see underlining issues that could address a mass majority of other issues.

The more that I examine the world and what it is becoming, the unusual things become more obvious, and I see a great amount of deception all around. We are swimming in the flood waters of corruption and we can't stay afloat forever so God comes to save our souls from being drowned in the waters. Our flesh is one thing and our spirit is another; store up our treasures in heaven and not on earth. It's impossible for a wealthy man to enter into heaven. There are many things that we have accepted of this world and it matters what you love most. And it goes beyond as to what is permitted by God. I then question our human practices and wonder if God will destroy those who destroy the earth? I believe that He means what is written.

Look at every component that assembles a cell phone, for example. Each part requires a blueprint, a manufacturer or many, and then what wastes and pollution will result from the manufacturing of every individual part? Consider the industry that is required just for making particular parts that make up everything that is in this world. Is it better to have a job while we are alive and neglect our future generations? There is nothing left for them, we hogged it up.

We are told that man sins, continually; no man is righteous, we are a wicked generation, we are adulterous, and so much more if I took time to list them.

All of this is time sensitive and in our present day but I feel that things will change soon when the world faces greater issues besides the natural disasters.

The verses are accurate to identify a certain group or groups, i.e., believers vs non-believers, good and evil, etc., and to further explain, yes, it's impossible for us right now. I think that something big is soon to happen, particularly in politics.

Upvote 0

A New Day

Jan 7, 2013
✟16,921.00
Faith
Christian
Thank you for being objective and you think like the example that Jesus said:
Matthew 24:32 Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its twigs get tender and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near.

yes, it's impossible for us right now. I think that something big is soon to happen, particularly in politics.

After what you said a question arises:

Jesus said:
Revelation 22:11 Let the one who does wrong continue to do wrong; let the vile person continue to be vile; let the one who does right continue to do right; and let the holy person continue to be holy.

What does it all mean?

I come to a thought that 1 John 2:15 is possible for us today.

Let me think about it more and i will write it next.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

A New Day

Jan 7, 2013
✟16,921.00
Faith
Christian
SG9.

After that Jesus gave us his teaching he said in the end Revelation 22:11 what means: I show the truth to you and you are free to choose it or not.

There is a verse like that of Revelation 22:11 in Ezekiel 3:27 But when I speak to you, I will open your mouth and you shall say to them, “This is what the Sovereign Lord says.” Whoever will listen let them listen, and whoever will refuse let them refuse; for they are a rebellious people.

And in the end Jesus will collect the weeds and tie them in bundles to be burned; then gather the wheat and bring it into my barn Matthew 13.

I think that 1 John 2:15 is possible for us today.

Jesus said if your hand or foot causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It's better to enter eternal life with only one hand or one foot than to be thrown into eternal fire with both of your hands and feet Matthew 18:8.
and
Paul and Barnabas used to preach together: ACts 14 strengthening the disciples and encouraging them to remain true to the faith. ‘We must go through many hardships to enter the kingdom of God,’ they said.
Jesus said that there will be persecutions but i think that we are able to not surrender to them.

Is it better to have a job while we are alive and neglect our future generations? There is nothing left for them, we hogged it up.

We can leave the word that we received to them, if the first christians surrendered to the persecutions what would we be today?

Ecclesiastes 1:9 What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.
10 Is there anything of which one can say,
“Look! This is something new”?
It was here already, long ago;
it was here before our time.
11 No one remembers the former generations,
and even those yet to come
will not be remembered
by those who follow them.

I think that the Ecclesiastes is right, it is the same like before and now and in the future and because it is the same thing let us not surrender. 2 Timothy 3:12 In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, 13 while evildoers and impostors will go from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived. 14 But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, 15 and how from infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

It really all or nothing, and has no place for compromise. A converted heart will learn to hate the wicked things that it once loved and love the holy things that it once hated, and the person's life will change accordingly and proportionately to their change of heart. Just as one acquires a taste for a special food, they must also learn to lose that acquired taste for worldly things. You may ask yourself: "How much can I do away with and still live and live for God?

:thumbsup:

John 17:14 I have given them your word. The world hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. 15 I pray not that you would take them from the world, but that you would keep them from the evil one.

Like you know in the end will return to where we come from. Philippians 3:20 But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Saviour from there, the Lord Jesus Christ

Jesus said:
Matthew 15:11 What makes a person unclean is not what goes into his mouth; rather, what comes out of his mouth, that is what makes him unclean!”
and Paul said:
1 Corinthians 10:31 Whether therefore you eat, or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.
and
1 Corinthians 13:7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Upvote 0
You have a good perspective, keep on truckin' :)

SG9.

After that Jesus gave us his teaching he said in the end Revelation 22:11 what means: I show the truth to you and you are free to choose it or not.

There is a verse like that of Revelation 22:11 in Ezekiel 3:27 But when I speak to you, I will open your mouth and you shall say to them, “This is what the Sovereign Lord says.” Whoever will listen let them listen, and whoever will refuse let them refuse; for they are a rebellious people.

And in the end Jesus will collect the weeds and tie them in bundles to be burned; then gather the wheat and bring it into my barn Matthew 13.

I think that 1 John 2:15 is possible for us today.

Jesus said if your hand or foot causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It's better to enter eternal life with only one hand or one foot than to be thrown into eternal fire with both of your hands and feet Matthew 18:8.
and
Paul and Barnabas used to preach together: ACts 14 strengthening the disciples and encouraging them to remain true to the faith. ‘We must go through many hardships to enter the kingdom of God,’ they said.
Jesus said that there will be persecutions but i think that we are able to not surrender to them.

We can leave the word that we received to them, if the first christians surrendered to the persecutions what would we be today?

Ecclesiastes 1:9 What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.
10 Is there anything of which one can say,
“Look! This is something new”?
It was here already, long ago;
it was here before our time.
11 No one remembers the former generations,
and even those yet to come
will not be remembered
by those who follow them.

I think that the Ecclesiastes is right, it is the same like before and now and in the future and because it is the same thing let us not surrender. 2 Timothy 3:12 In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, 13 while evildoers and impostors will go from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived. 14 But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, 15 and how from infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

:thumbsup:

John 17:14 I have given them your word. The world hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. 15 I pray not that you would take them from the world, but that you would keep them from the evil one.

Like you know in the end will return to where we come from. Philippians 3:20 But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Saviour from there, the Lord Jesus Christ

Jesus said:
Matthew 15:11 What makes a person unclean is not what goes into his mouth; rather, what comes out of his mouth, that is what makes him unclean!”
and Paul said:
1 Corinthians 10:31 Whether therefore you eat, or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.
and
1 Corinthians 13:7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Upvote 0