Do creationists not know their own Bibles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Creationists: History will prove Biblical literalism!

Also creationists: History is wrong!
After all he’d been through, the Egyptian ruler no doubt had their historical record obscured to the point that exact dates will always be argued. Had it not been for the Bible we wouldn’t even have the details.

Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Against both police brutality and cop killing.
Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In another thread, a creationist claimed that Jesus was a literal 6 day creationist. There is nothing in the Bible that supports this claim (nada, zilch, zip).

I'm used to creationists not knowing anything about science. I'm even used to creationists not knowing anything about creationism. But I'm starting to wonder if creationists know anything about the Bible at all. :scratch:
Based on the tone of your post it sounds like you have harbored bitter resentment towards creationists. Would you like to talk about that instead? It may prove to be more helpful in your situation. But let me read through the hundreds of posts to get caught up.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Based on the tone of your post it sounds like you have harbored bitter resentment towards creationists. Would you like to talk about that instead? It may prove to be more helpful in your situation. But let me read through the hundreds of posts to get caught up.
I think disgust would be closer to the mark, but yes, many people do.

Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think disgust would be closer to the mark, but yes, many people do.
I find that in many situations it it better to address the emotion before you can reason. Perhaps we can hope for a respectful understanding and appreciation for other people's interpretations even if we do not agree with them.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I find that in many situations it it better to address the emotion before you can reason. Perhaps we can hope for a respectful understanding and appreciation for other people's interpretations even if we do not agree with them.
That seems to be an impossibility for creationists.

Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Creationists: History will prove Biblical literalism!

People also turn to science to disprove biblical literalism. But history have shown science to be wrong as well.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private

In the past, I mostly debated this for argument's sake. Debate is effectively a competition and I think most of us are here for that reason.

That said, recent world events have shifted my view somewhat. I've seen a lot of the same creationists here that reject evolution also engaging in science denialism regarding the current pandemic. Disbelieving in things like evolution doesn't really hurt anyone. Disbelieving in a disease that is killing people? That has lethal consequences.

And that is where I've realized that the undercurrent of science denialism that has fostered in places like the U.S. poses a real danger to society. The U.S. is living the consequences of it as we speak.

• Friendly
Reactions: Oompa Loompa
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
People also turn to science to disprove biblical literalism. But history have shown science to be wrong as well.
That is unnecessary and that is not what science is for or is trying to do. That is, it is not necessary to disprove biblical literalism. Biblical literalism is merely an interpretation and those who think they need it are welcome to it. What is unnecessary is the hostility towards those who don't think they need it and have a different interpretation.

But science is not a lie of Satan. Science is not a global atheist conspiracy to deny the existence of god. Christians who accept the theory of evolution are not apostates.

Reactions: pitabread
Upvote 0

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
In the past, I mostly debated this for argument's sake. Debate is effectively a competition and I think most of us are here for that reason.

That said, recent world events have shifted my view somewhat. I've seen a lot of the same creationists here that reject evolution also engaging in science denialism regarding the current pandemic. Disbelieving in things like evolution doesn't really hurt anyone. Disbelieving in a disease that is killing people? That has lethal consequences.

And that is where I've realized that the undercurrent of science denialism that has fostered in places like the U.S. poses a real danger to society. The U.S. is living the consequences of it as we speak.
I don’t think anyone here completely rejects science, just when improperly used or to get its way (like promoting macroevolution). As a whole, we benefit greatly from science. But, in regard to your last statement, the U.S. is primarily suffering the consequences of China’s recklessness with science.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I don’t think anyone here completely rejects science, just when improperly used or to get its way (like promoting macroevolution).

Level of science denialism does vary here, but on balance, creationists tend to reject a surprisingly lot of it. Even your rejection of macroevolution is a form of science denial.

As a whole, we benefit greatly from science.

We do, but that doesn't stop plenty on this forum from disparaging science or the work scientists do. I find there is a lot of hypocrisy among those who readily disparage science.

AV1611VET's tagline "science can take a hike" is a prime example. I told him it's not something I'd be proud of trumpeting during a time when everyone is turning to science for answers to the novel coronavirus.

But, in regard to your last statement, the U.S. is primarily suffering the consequences of China’s recklessness with science.

There are numerous reasons for the bungled U.S. response to the pandemic, but the U.S. holds a lot of the blame. When compared to most other Western countries, the U.S. is doing far worse. That's not on China; that's on the U.S.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You can say that again:

images

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Science can be wrong sometimes. But that is relatively early in any study. You will not find an example do science being severely wrong in any modern science. Yes, minor corrections occur. But saying that evolution does not exist is on the same order as saying that gravity does not exist. I don't care if your approach is Galilean, Newtonian, or Einsteinian, gravity exists. The same has occurred with evolution. We have corrected and moved on from Darwin's work as the early gravity work was corrected. But that does not mean that it is not the explanation for life.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Ya ... Egypt should have sent their army after him, shouldn't have they?

Oh ... wait!
No, the Exodus story is merely legend. It never happened. Countries do not react to events that never happened. Logic, a tool that you might want to investigate.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You complain about minor changes and do not realize your errors.
Those "minor changes" sparked a fury of complaint that went to the halls of government in three states (California, New Mexico, and Illinois?), and even gave us the word of the year for 2006.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Those "minor changes" sparked a fury of complaint that went to the halls of government in three states (California, New Mexico, and Illinois?), and even gave us the word of the year for 2006.
I notice that Pluto is still up there, unchanged, regardless.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I don’t think anyone here completely rejects science, just when improperly used or to get its way (like promoting macroevolution). As a whole, we benefit greatly from science. But, in regard to your last statement, the U.S. is primarily suffering the consequences of China’s recklessness with science.
Bible literalists have to deny all sciences. What they do is use the benefits of science while rejecting it. There is a term for that.

And no, China did not create coronavirus in a lab. Its origin was natural. It was found by using science:

Did coronavirus come from a lab?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.