Highland Park, Texas
✟4,196.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Today, I was talking to a friend about being Christians. The church I go to meets on Saturday and follow the Jewish traditions. I told her that I’m not Jewish in passing. And then she said that once we become Christians/saved we become spiritual Jews. Is that true? Is there any truth to that? I wasn’t sure what to say to her and so I didn’t say anything. I’m not trying to start an debate or anything, but I was just wondering if that was Biblical. Any thoughts and insights on this would be great.

Thanks,
Elsa

T

TrustingmyLord

I am not really sure, but I dont think so. I vaguely recall something in the New Testament that talks about Gentiles calling themselves Jews when they are not.

I went to a church that taught this way. They too met on Saturday. I stayed 6 months before I realized this denomination was very, very unBiblical. Well, in some senses they were TOO Biblical, going by old laws that we are not required to keep... in Galatians it talks much about this. I would advise you to keep an eye out for false teachings. It could very well be a different kind of church, one that isnt smothered in false teachings, but it sounds alot like the one I went to. If you want any more info on which specific type of church I went to, feel free to PM me. I dont want to post the name here.... although I feel people should know, I dont feel like debating right now.

On the issue of Spiritual Jews, I am interested in hearing what others have to say. As I said, I am not real sure on that.

Upvote 0

cubanito

Nov 16, 2005
Southeast Florida, US (Coral Gables near Miami)
✟4,071.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It is part of Covenant Theology to say that all saved are spiritual Jews. It is also taught so by the Roman Catholics.
Those with a dispensational hermeneutics deny this, some in the extreme that Gentiles and Jews will forever have a separate destiny, and those in the "milder" (progressive) dispy camps that this is a temporary condition (which is my stance).

It is actually a somewhat complicated answer, without general agreement among Christians. It is fair to say that for the great majority of Christian history, it has been taught that all true Christians are spiritual Jews, but need not follow the Mosaic Laws as they were fulfilled by Jesus on the cross.

JR

Upvote 0

wonderwaleye

Dec 23, 2005
MISSISSIPPI
✟5,952.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dear FrauleinElsa

You didn't read this in GOD'S WORD so blow it away!!!

What you will find in GOD'S WORD:

" 1 Corinthians

Chapter 12:13

For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, slaves or free persons, and we were all given to drink of one Spirit. "

When we all become one spirit there are no Jews or Greeks. We are then of GOD.

What you heard came from man and NOT GOD!!!

ALWAYS REMEMBER:

X Even though you can't see him, GOD is there!!! O
( click on the x and drag to the O ) ( then see who is with you ) steven

Upvote 0

sistakrista

PLEASE, PLEASE FEED YOUR PET! THEY ARE HUNGRY!
Aug 30, 2006
by the Arch
✟11,471.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
They say this, based on Romans 11, here's just a small part:
READ THE ENTIRE CHAPTER & YOU'LL PROBABLY UNDERSTAND.

18do not be arrogant toward the branches; but if you are arrogant, remember that it is not you who supports the root, but the root supports you. 19You will say then, "Branches were broken off so that I might be grafted in."
20Quite right, they were broken off for their unbelief, but you stand by your faith Do not be conceited, but fear;(Romans 11: 18-20 NAS)

PLEASE BE @ PEACE!

Upvote 0

BoranJarami

Apr 12, 2006
✟15,790.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
From what I understand, the term Jew refers to the decendents of Judah, not to Israel as a whole. We use the term in the general sence because the only Israelites that we know of now are Jews. The other tribes were "lost" during captivity. So the question should be if we become Hebrew.

Something else to consider is this. Were Job and Enoch "spiritual Jews"? They lived long before Abraham was even born but they were people of God. Enoch so much so that God took him before he died. How about Melchizadek? He was a priest of the Most High God, and he was a contemprary of Abraham. Was he a "Spiritual Jew"? Or, perhaps, is it better to simply call them and us people of God?

What I find interesting is how some Messianic Jews refuse to call themselves Christians on the grounds that there is a difference. Christian means little Christ, or follower of Christ. It seems to me that this would apply to everyone who follows Christ. I think it is better to say that when the Jews before Christ's birth truely worshiped God and placed their faith in Christ ( yeah, you heard me right, before Christ even came, I Corinthians 10:1-4) that they were spiritual Christians, not that we become "spiritual Jews".

Upvote 0

FrauleinElsa

Veni,Veni Emanuel...
Sep 19, 2005
Highland Park, Texas
✟4,196.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
From what I understand, the term Jew refers to the decendents of Judah, not to Israel as a whole. We use the term in the general sence because the only Israelites that we know of now are Jews. The other tribes were "lost" during captivity. So the question should be if we become Hebrew.

Something else to consider is this. Were Job and Enoch "spiritual Jews"? They lived long before Abraham was even born but they were people of God. Enoch so much so that God took him before he died. How about Melchizadek? He was a priest of the Most High God, and he was a contemprary of Abraham. Was he a "Spiritual Jew"? Or, perhaps, is it better to simply call them and us people of God?

What I find interesting is how some Messianic Jews refuse to call themselves Christians on the grounds that there is a difference. Christian means little Christ, or follower of Christ. It seems to me that this would apply to everyone who follows Christ. I think it is better to say that when the Jews before Christ's birth truely worshiped God and placed their faith in Christ ( yeah, you heard me right, before Christ even came, I Corinthians 10:1-4) that they were spiritual Christians, not that we become "spiritual Jews".

Yeah, I agree with some of that. Especially with Messianic Jews aversion to calling themselves “Christian”. From my experience of being around them, there is an unusual dislike for the word. I’m like you in that respect. If you are a believer in Jesus, or follower then you are a Christian. I don’t understand what their problem is with that word. I’m still not 100% certain where I stand on this, but I don’t believe that we become Jews in spirit or that we’re spiritual Jews. The Hebrew thing might be more accurate, but if I were go around saying that people would look at me like I had two heads or something. I like being what I am. I like my identity and I don’t want it taken away by someone saying that because I’m a Christian, I’m now in essence Jewish. No offence but I’m happy with who I am. I hate people who try to be someone and something they’re not. When my friend said that it felt like what I am is not good enough, or that it didn’t matter anymore. I wonder how a new or potential convert would react. They might say, well if I “become” Jewish when I get saved I don’t want to get saved. And that kind of theology would definitely not work well in Arab and Muslim countries. Correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t it sound just a little bit like Replacement Theology? It does to me. I’d like to know my gut feeling about that is correct.

Elsa

Upvote 0

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Spiritual Jews is only a label used by Jews to indicate a Jew who has left their faith and have become a born-again Christians.

It's the same as some Christians being referred to other Christians as being spirit-filled Christian, liberalised Christian, conservative Christian, and so on.

It's just a label.

By the way, I don't understand it properly, but you are going to a Jewish Christian Church or a Jewish Synagoue?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dace

Nov 11, 2006
UK
✟7,711.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Also, my friend meant that we become Jews in spirit, not actual flesh or anything but that we become Jews in all but birth or something like that. That was how I understood her comments.

Elsa
Well yes thats more or less right so far as I understand it.

Matthew 3:9
And do not presume to say to yourselves, 'We have Abraham as our father,' for I tell you, God is able from these stones to raise up children for Abraham.

Essentially saying that the promises made to the decendants of Abraham apply to the spiritual decendants of Abraham, not the physical decendants.

Romans 4:16
Therefore, the promise comes by faith, so that it may be by grace and may be guaranteed to all Abraham's offspring—not only to those who are of the law but also to those who are of the faith of Abraham. He is the father of us all.

Upvote 0

FrauleinElsa

Veni,Veni Emanuel...
Sep 19, 2005
Highland Park, Texas
✟4,196.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Dace,

With all due respect, I have to disagree with you. Another member sent me a link that I'm including in this message. It explains things better, but I am now of the mind that *we do not become spiritual Jews or Jews in spirit. Yes, Abraham is our spiritual "father" but since we are not the physical children of him, we can't be Jews. Thank you for taking the time to reply though.

Elsa
*Gentile Christians
http://www.layhands.com/AreGentilesSpiritualJews.htm

Upvote 0

wonderwaleye

Dec 23, 2005
MISSISSIPPI
✟5,952.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dear FrauleinElsa

GOD'S WORD gives us the answer:

" Galatians
Chapter 3

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free person, there is not male and female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. "

Might be she is unaware of this verse.

REMEMBER:

X Even though you can't see him, GOD is there!!! O
( click on the x and drag to the O ) ( then see who is with you ) steven

Upvote 0