MI
✟8,330.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We as Christians know that non-believers are lost and hopeless without Christ. And so we try to lead them to Christ, and rightfully so, since that's what the Bible tells us to do.

However I'm thinking sometimes we might get overzealous. If someone's unsure of whether or not to believe, we might say: "Well hurry up and make a decision. You could die tomorrow and it will be too late."

While yes, anyone can die at any time. However is this really the way we should witness? Is our God not a patient God who is willing to wait for people to come to him? God certainly knows that people are sometimes unsure about what to believe. And I believe he is patient. Are we as Christians not to model that patience as best we can?

Saying "Start believing NOW or it may be too late" really doesn't show a whole lot of patience, does it?

Any thoughts?

Tangnefedd

A Liberal Christian
Feb 10, 2004
✟18,900.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Faithful83 said:
We as Christians know that non-believers are lost and hopeless without Christ. And so we try to lead them to Christ, and rightfully so, since that's what the Bible tells us to do.

However I'm thinking sometimes we might get overzealous. If someone's unsure of whether or not to believe, we might say: "Well hurry up and make a decision. You could die tomorrow and it will be too late."

While yes, anyone can die at any time. However is this really the way we should witness? Is our God not a patient God who is willing to wait for people to come to him? God certainly knows that people are sometimes unsure about what to believe. And I believe he is patient. Are we as Christians not to model that patience as best we can?

Saying "Start believing NOW or it may be too late" really doesn't show a whole lot of patience, does it?

Any thoughts?
A friend of my daughter, has the most embarrassing of fathers, poor girl. He is a devout born again fundie, and could be found in the city centre most Saturdays asking folk if the were saved. As can be imagined people thought he was mentally unhinged and gave him a wide berth. He certainly brought Christianity into disrepute!

Upvote 0

AdJesumPerMariam

To Jesus through Mary
Jan 26, 2004
At Home
Visit site
✟51,621.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Tangnefedd said:
A friend of my daughter, has the most embarrassing of fathers, poor girl. He is a devout born again fundie, and could be found in the city centre most Saturdays asking folk if the were saved. As can be imagined people thought he was mentally unhinged and gave him a wide berth. He certainly brought Christianity into disrepute!

Well, its kinda like the old saying...you can lead a horse to water, but not make him drink. I use the Law to bring people to Christ. I don't pressure for a decision, nor do I ask then to say a memorized prayer. The Way of the Master is a very good source.

Also, if your friend were heading towards a cliff, and didn't know it, would you just ignore him, or would you go after him? Remember, no one is guaranteed another minute, much less another day. Do you really want to stand in front of God and say "I was afraid of being too pushy," or "afraid of what people would think"?

It is everyone's job.

Love-n-Blessings
dee

Upvote 0

Tangnefedd

A Liberal Christian
Feb 10, 2004
✟18,900.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
dede10 said:
Well, its kinda like the old saying...you can lead a horse to water, but not make him drink. I use the Law to bring people to Christ. I don't pressure for a decision, nor do I ask then to say a memorized prayer. The Way of the Master is a very good source.

Also, if your friend were heading towards a cliff, and didn't know it, would you just ignore him, or would you go after him? Remember, no one is guaranteed another minute, much less another day. Do you really want to stand in front of God and say "I was afraid of being too pushy," or "afraid of what people would think"?

It is everyone's job.

Love-n-Blessings
dee
What do you mean you use the law to bring people to Christ?

Upvote 0

clonenomore

I will be a Clone No More
Feb 1, 2004
Northwest, GA
✟15,593.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I am reading a great book, Share Jesus Without Fear by William Fay. This is a marvelous book about witnessing and evangelism. He speaks to this topic. I agree that beating a person over the head with the Bible is a poor way to witness. We can beat anyone into submission, but how many stay in the faith over the long haul?

William Fay brings out a good point in his book: our sole job is to present the Great News of the Gospel. We are required to share our faith. We cannot win souls to Christ -- only the Holy Spirit can do that. We cannot "force" someone to believe, and all of the threats of hellfire will not work until the Spirit moves in the person. We must be willing to share our faith when God sends people our way, and then get out of the way to let God speak through us. I am constantly surprised at how God can use even me when I move aside to let Him work.

By the way, I consider myself to be a fundametalist, Bible-believing preacher -- so the connotations associated with the term "fundamentalist" do not always hold true!

Upvote 0

Faithful83

A smiling Christian
Feb 29, 2004
MI
✟8,330.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

It is everyone's job.
Okay, please forgive me for having a bit of a tough time being able to compare someone walking off a cliff to someone not believing. I mean, I know once they do die they've pretty much walked off the cliff, but here's my uneasiness about that comparison:

If someone is a non-believer, they aren't guaranteed another minute, but they're not guaranteed not to have another minute either. Meaning that if a non-Christian is sitting at their computer, they are not likely to die. If they are walking toward a cliff and didn't know it, they pretty much are likely to die. See the difference?

Also, I wouldn't want to stand in front of God and say "I was afraid of being too pushy" but I don't want to stand in front of Him and say "I was too pushy and therefore pushed Joe Schmoe further away from You." What I'm trying to say there is there must be a fine line.

Upvote 0

Bonhoffer

Hoping......
Dec 17, 2003
Preston, Lancashire, UK
✟10,043.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Remember its Jesus that does the converting!!

Although non-beleivers arent garenteed another minute alive, remember whos in control of when people die. So if Gods planning for someone to be saved he won't let them die if they are to be saved.

I think with evangelism there are too extremes; one can be too pushy and put people off. but some are too quiet and don't do their Christian duty to tell others about Jesus.

Upvote 0

Echoes Peak

Willing Servant
Nov 4, 2003
✟8,900.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Yeah, I feel your dilemna. I think about the same thing too when talking to my non-Christian friends. I have found that trying to live by example often speaks volumes than the words that I say. I have tendency to sometimes not be able to express what I would like and it comes out not the way I intend it to. Often, I find that something in my life will intrigue a friend and that will often lead to a conversation about Christianity. I think because we're all individuals, God has placed in each of us, different ways to be a testimony to His existence. I think it's a matter of finding the method He's chosen for you. You might be surprised to find out, it is something you already do.

Upvote 0

Tangnefedd

A Liberal Christian
Feb 10, 2004
✟18,900.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My husband is an atheist, after being a 'born again' Christian in his youth. He said that if someone came up to him and asked, 'Are you saved' he would respond 'Have you had sexual intercourse today?' feeling that both questions are intrusive and nobody's business but their own!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

clonenomore

I will be a Clone No More
Feb 1, 2004
Northwest, GA
✟15,593.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Tangnefedd said:
What do you mean you use the law to bring people to Christ?

I realize that this answer is late in coming, but I hope that you don't think that we were ignoring the question.

Using the Law to witness is not only showing people that "all have sinned and fall short", but you use the 10 Commandments (The Law) to show how people have sinned. How can we expect non-believers to repent if they don't know what they are repenting of? A way to visualize this is to imagine that you are called to appear in court, and the prosecution says that you are a criminal. The judge asks "How do you plead?" You don't even know what the charge is.

For example, if you ask many non-believers if they are a good person, they would answer "Yes". If you ask them if they are good enough to get into Heaven, many would still answer "Yes". You then ask if they have ever told a lie; lusted after another person; taken anything that did not belong to them; hated someone; etc. These are all part of the Big 10, and we have all broken these commandments.

This method is often associated with Kirk Cameron and Ray Comfort. More information can be found at the websites: livingwaters.com and thewayofthemaster.com. They can explain it better than I can.

Upvote 0