Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,304.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If I'm going to be honest, I'd have fun stepping through all the implications (which are many), but I don't think this is the appropriate time. As I said early on, it seems to me this is a time of mourning and what @Hope1960 needs is comfort.

And I was giving her possibilities for comfort.

Upvote 0

Roymond

Feb 1, 2022
Oregon
✟7,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Single
I hope so!
My 11-month-old puppy and I went to the beach today. I always let him run beside my truck on the way out to the parking area.

He dashed too close to my truck today when he was running, but he got up again and was breathing fine and everything

Back at the house he was behaving normally except a limp

Then three hours later he started moaning horribly and started to walk over to me but he collapsed

He managed to try twice more but finally fell on his side

The symptoms suggest he had a broken rib I didn't find, and he probably fell and punctured a lung

He stopped breathing about twenty minutes later and then his heart stopped

He was becoming such a good service dog, and my best friend

I wasn't even holding him when he went, I was too focused on trying to get help

He didn't even get to have his first birthday

• Prayers
Reactions: GreekOrthodox
Upvote 0

MizmelzyWI

Jul 12, 2022
Watertown
✟7,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I see that this is an older thread, but I felt I needed to reply. I have had animals all my life. They most certainly have a soul 100%. If you look into a person's eyes, you can see and feel it. Just as there are people who you can look into their eyes and see nothing but a void of darkness. It's the same with animals. If you look into their eyes, you can see and feel a soul. Anyone who has had animals in their life, will tell you this. It's pure and real. Each animal has a personality all their own just as people do. I have had many experiences in my life that tell me that they do without a shadow of a doubt. I will not go into detail about them because I find that when discussing them in terms of religion it tends to stir people up. I believe in God and I believe Jesus died for my sins on the cross. I also know the bible doesn't explain in detail about some things very well, and I believe this is one of them. The only thing that gives me comfort when one of my animals passes on is that one day I KNOW I will see them again and they will be there to greet me just as all my family who has gone before me will be there to greet me. I hope that this gives the original poster some comfort.

Many Blessings,
Mel

Upvote 0

Roymond

Feb 1, 2022
Oregon
✟7,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Giving an answer that differs from Lutheran theology is not allowed.

Lutheran theology has nothing to say about the subject -- I don't think animals are even mentioned in the Book of Concord. That means that Lutherans are free to discuss the matter and decide for themselves.

Upvote 0

Roymond

Feb 1, 2022
Oregon
✟7,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Single
I see that this is an older thread, but I felt I needed to reply. I have had animals all my life. They most certainly have a soul 100%. If you look into a person's eyes, you can see and feel it. Just as there are people who you can look into their eyes and see nothing but a void of darkness. It's the same with animals. If you look into their eyes, you can see and feel a soul. Anyone who has had animals in their life, will tell you this. It's pure and real. Each animal has a personality all their own just as people do. I have had many experiences in my life that tell me that they do without a shadow of a doubt. I will not go into detail about them because I find that when discussing them in terms of religion it tends to stir people up. I believe in God and I believe Jesus died for my sins on the cross. I also know the bible doesn't explain in detail about some things very well, and I believe this is one of them. The only thing that gives me comfort when one of my animals passes on is that one day I KNOW I will see them again and they will be there to greet me just as all my family who has gone before me will be there to greet me. I hope that this gives the original poster some comfort.

Many Blessings,
Mel

This remains me of what C.S. Lewis had to say on the subject. His view was that our pets and other animals become so connected to us, and we to them, that they in effect become part of our souls, bringing us joy. Since in heaven our joy will be full, since our animals have been part of our joy, they will be there with us.

I've been taking comfort from that reasoning for nearly six months since I put my Skylix to rest under a tree near the beach where I do conservation work. Without him, my joy hasn't been anywhere near full.

Upvote 0