Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Did Catholics change their opinion on this? Because I’m a former Catholic and thought that they say dogs don’t go to heaven.

I think the idea of pets in heaven is only a few hundred years old so we Christians struggle with the answer, but here's from Luther himself about his dog "Clownie" in heaven

Asked about the restoration of all things and whether there would be dogs and other animals in that kingdom, he said: “Certainly there will be, for Peter calls that day the time of the restitution of all things. Then, as is clearly said elsewhere, he will create a new heaven and a new earth. He will also create new Clownies with skin of gold and hair of pearls. There and then God will be all in all. No animal will eat any other. Snakes and toads and other beasts which are poisonous on account of original sin will then be not only innocuous but even pleasing and nice to play with. Why is it that we cannot believe that all things will happen as the Bible says, even in this article of the resurrection? Original sin is at fault.”
[from Preserved Smith, The Life and Letters of Martin Luther, (London: John Murray, 1911) p. 362. ]

My own favorite quote about dogs (well and cats...) is "A dog is better than I am, for he has love and does not judge." -St. Xanthias, The Sayings of the Desert Fathers

(Okay cats judge but they ARE the center of the universe... :) )

Reactions: LesSme
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,035.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I would like to hear it.

I hope my reply to @GreekOrthodox didn't sound overly argumentative. I believe he posted with sincere intent, and I tried to reply that way. I simply think he was reading into the quoted text things it wasn't saying. Again to clarify, it seems very likely there will be animals in heaven, and that is consistent with the text quoted from the LCMS website. But to say those animals are resurrected souls of our departed pets is something quite different.

My concern with a "cautious maybe" is that it will be received as a tacit yes.

If your pastor says, "we don't know", that's an answer I can accept even if it differs from my firm no. Anything else will make me scratch my head, and I'll want to know more. If we can do that without arguing, I'm all for it.
It’s just that in these forums there are a lot of people with a lot of opinions. And things can become argumentative fast. I don’t want anyone to argue with what my pastor may say, if he doesn’t agree with the majority here.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,035.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think the idea of pets in heaven is only a few hundred years old so we Christians struggle with the answer, but here's from Luther himself about his dog "Clownie" in heaven

Asked about the restoration of all things and whether there would be dogs and other animals in that kingdom, he said: “Certainly there will be, for Peter calls that day the time of the restitution of all things. Then, as is clearly said elsewhere, he will create a new heaven and a new earth. He will also create new Clownies with skin of gold and hair of pearls. There and then God will be all in all. No animal will eat any other. Snakes and toads and other beasts which are poisonous on account of original sin will then be not only innocuous but even pleasing and nice to play with. Why is it that we cannot believe that all things will happen as the Bible says, even in this article of the resurrection? Original sin is at fault.”
[from Preserved Smith, The Life and Letters of Martin Luther, (London: John Murray, 1911) p. 362. ]

My own favorite quote about dogs (well and cats...) is "A dog is better than I am, for he has love and does not judge." -St. Xanthias, The Sayings of the Desert Fathers

(Okay cats judge but they ARE the center of the universe... :) )
Well, my Daphne (the dog I’ve been posting about) is kind of cat-like in that she is kind of aloof and standoffish. But that’s her. She’s always been that way. My other dog, Kiki is a Velcro dog.

Upvote 0

J_B_

I have answers to questions no one ever asks.
May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It’s just that in these forums there are a lot of people with a lot of opinions. And things can become argumentative fast. I don’t want anyone to argue with what my pastor may say, if he doesn’t agree with the majority here.

Understood.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ok, so nothing without a soul will be allowed in heaven, at least that has always been my stance and still is. However, since Revelation gives us the deminsions of actual heaven, we know it is a city on the new earth, so that leaves the rest of the new earth for the animals or what have you, the lamb and the lion and such. So since anything is possible with God, is it so out of the realm of possibilities, our animals will be allowed in the new earth?

And remember, that's a questions and not disagreement, and actually my first sentence apparently agrees with Lutheran theology.

Giving an answer that differs from Lutheran theology is not allowed.

See his avatar, its a dog, he was joking.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

J_B_

May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Since anything is possible with God, is it so out of the realm of possibilities, our animals will be allowed in the new earth?

There is already a lot to unpack in just your brief post. What I will say is that it would imply many complex issues few seem to have considered. The theological burden alone begs the answer.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I understand, but I'm afraid the answer is no. The Bible never commands us to witness to the animals as it does with other people. If animals have souls, then God has done them a cruel disservice to leave them without the Gospel. It would mean some go to heaven and some go to hell, and we would need to take a much different approach.

Again, I'm sorry to say our pets, dear as they may be, will not be with us in heaven.

I know that my grandparent's shih tzu, Patches, is Satan's lapdog. He hated everyone. Actually, no, even the devil himself wouldnt put up with that dog. Rather that dog wouldnt put up with anyone, including Old Scratch.

Upvote 0

J_B_

May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Interesting opinion.

If I'm going to be honest, I'd have fun stepping through all the implications (which are many), but I don't think this is the appropriate time. As I said early on, it seems to me this is a time of mourning and what @Hope1960 needs is comfort.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,035.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If I'm going to be honest, I'd have fun stepping through all the implications (which are many), but I don't think this is the appropriate time. As I said early on, it seems to me this is a time of mourning and what @Hope1960 needs is comfort.
Thank you. My Pastor also later said that he thinks there will be animals in heaven, just not the way we are thinking about our pets.
I replied by asking him if he’s familiar with Rainbow Bridge and that I choose to believe they will be and that I don’t think God minds.

Upvote 0

J_B_

May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thank you. My Pastor also later said that he thinks there will be animals in heaven, just not the way we are thinking about our pets.
I replied by asking him if he’s familiar with Rainbow Bridge and that I choose to believe they will be and that I don’t think God minds.

I'm hesitant to discuss it further unless you want to proceed. I'm sure you can tell I don't agree.

God's blessings.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,035.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm hesitant to discuss it further unless you want to proceed. I'm sure you can tell I don't agree.

God's blessings.
I don’t mind continuing the conversation.....I still like to think that my fur babies will be there. At least I hope so, and two things:

1) I don’t think the Bible is clear about this, and

2) someone posted something from Luther, and is sounded very much like he was on my side of the issue.

• Agree
Reactions: LesSme
Upvote 0

J_B_

May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don’t mind continuing the conversation.

Thank you, but I need to ask what can come of this? It doesn't seem your opinion will be changed.

1) I don’t think the Bible is clear about this.

There is no verse saying, "Dogs don't go to heaven." But neither is there a verse saying, "There is no Purgatory." Yet from my perspective, what Scripture does say makes it clear there is no Purgatory ... and clear animals don't go to heaven.

2) someone posted something from Luther, and is sounded very much like he was on my side of the issue.

I'm afraid that is wishful thinking. Luther refers to "new Clownies", not the Clownie he knew on earth. Regardless, Luther is not infallible. He, just as much as anyone else, must support what he says with Scripture.

If you really want to do this, I would begin with the only place in the Bible I know that mentions the issue. Ecclesiastes 3:21 poses a rhetorical question. It is asking: Should I trust this bit of wisdom (among other things) that people ascend to heaven and animals descend into the earth?

My answer is, yes, that bit of wisdom is correct. If someone were to say, "I don't know," I couldn't argue with them. The answer could just as easily be that Ecclesiastes is saying we don't know and all we can do is trust God.

But if your answer is no, that bit of wisdom is incorrect, animals don't just descend into the earth, then my next question would be: Does that mean they have an eternal spirit, or do they enter heaven as "just an animal"? So, that is what I would ask you: Do animals have an eternal spirit?

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,035.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thank you, but I need to ask what can come of this? It doesn't seem your opinion will be changed.

There is no verse saying, "Dogs don't go to heaven." But neither is there a verse saying, "There is no Purgatory." Yet from my perspective, what Scripture does say makes it clear there is no Purgatory ... and clear animals don't go to heaven.

I'm afraid that is wishful thinking. Luther refers to "new Clownies", not the Clownie he knew on earth. Regardless, Luther is not infallible. He, just as much as anyone else, must support what he says with Scripture.

If you really want to do this, I would begin with the only place in the Bible I know that mentions the issue. Ecclesiastes 3:21 poses a rhetorical question. It is asking: Should I trust this bit of wisdom (among other things) that people ascend to heaven and animals descend into the earth?

My answer is, yes, that bit of wisdom is correct. If someone were to say, "I don't know," I couldn't argue with them. The answer could just as easily be that Ecclesiastes is saying we don't know and all we can do is trust God.

But if your answer is no, that bit of wisdom is incorrect, animals don't just descend into the earth, then my next question would be: Does that mean they have an eternal spirit, or do they enter heaven as "just an animal"? So, that is what I would ask you: Do animals have an eternal spirit?
I’m having this conversation as a means to find like minded people.

Upvote 0