Midwest
✟157,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My precious Border/Basset Daphne was just diagnosed with liver cancer and it was guessed by the doctor that she has 6 months to a year left.
I apologize if I ever started a thread about whether dogs go to heaven or not, but, do they? I love the Rainbow Bridge poem and love the idea that my babies are waiting to greet me when I arrive.

Victor in Christ

Jehovah Tsidkenu
Jun 9, 2020
British Isles
✟17,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No darling they don't. Dogs in the bible are believers who profess faith and then return to their own vomit/their old ways, the type of life Christ brought them out from. Every believer will know what type of sinful life Christ has delivered them from, it will be different for everyone (when the holy Spirit convicts you). So we must push onwards and upwards towards Zion, leaving those worldy things which dragged us further into sin, behind. We are new creatures from the inside-out, not everyone dramatically changes their outward ways as James explains to believers. Our Father in Heaven (God) will chasten believers through the Holy Spirit to mould you more Christ-like and its all for your benefit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

J_B_

I have answers to questions no one ever asks.
May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm sorry about your bad news. I have 3 dogs, and one is 15 ... so ... she'll probably be leaving us soon. Such a sweet thing. It will be sad.

My preference would be to give comfort. Are you sure you want the LCMS answer to that question at this time?

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry about your bad news. I have 3 dogs, and one is 15 ... so ... she'll probably be leaving us soon. Such a sweet thing. It will be sad.

My preference would be to give comfort. Are you sure you want the LCMS answer to that question at this time?
Yes.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This is from the LCMS website:
Q: My four-year-old son wants to know if he will see his dog when he dies and goes to heaven. Willhe? Do I tell him that even though God created all the animals too, people are the only ones that go to heaven?
A: In the "Q&A" column of the January 1995 issue of the Northwestern Lutheran (the official periodical of the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod), Rev. John Brug gives the following helpful response to the question, "Will there be animals in heaven?"
Since animals do not have immortal souls, we might think the answer is no. Several facts, however, make one hesitant to be satisfied with a simple "no." Our eternal home is a new earth (Isaiah 65:17ff, 2 Peter 3:13, Revelation 21:1). Isaiah 65:25 speaks of it as a place in which the wolf and the lamb live together peacefully.
This may be figurative language, but one other passage suggests animals might be in our eternal home. Romans 8:21 says that "the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage." In this present, sin-cursed world, we inflict suffering on animals, and they inflict suffering on us. At Christ's coming, when this world is freed from the effects of sin, animals, too, will be freed from suffering. That text also says the creation will be "brought into the glorious freedom of the children of God." That might mean there may be plants and animals in the new earth as there were in the first earth. If there
are animals on the new earth, they will be good creatures of God as the animals of the first earth were.

In short, the answer is a cautious "maybe."

• Friendly
Reactions: Magnanimity
Upvote 0

J_B_

May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is from the LCMS website:
Q: My four-year-old son wants to know if he will see his dog when he dies and goes to heaven. Willhe? Do I tell him that even though God created all the animals too, people are the only ones that go to heaven?
A: In the "Q&A" column of the January 1995 issue of the Northwestern Lutheran (the official periodical of the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod), Rev. John Brug gives the following helpful response to the question, "Will there be animals in heaven?"
Since animals do not have immortal souls, we might think the answer is no. Several facts, however, make one hesitant to be satisfied with a simple "no." Our eternal home is a new earth (Isaiah 65:17ff, 2 Peter 3:13, Revelation 21:1). Isaiah 65:25 speaks of it as a place in which the wolf and the lamb live together peacefully.
This may be figurative language, but one other passage suggests animals might be in our eternal home. Romans 8:21 says that "the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage." In this present, sin-cursed world, we inflict suffering on animals, and they inflict suffering on us. At Christ's coming, when this world is freed from the effects of sin, animals, too, will be freed from suffering. That text also says the creation will be "brought into the glorious freedom of the children of God." That might mean there may be plants and animals in the new earth as there were in the first earth. If there
are animals on the new earth, they will be good creatures of God as the animals of the first earth were.

In short, the answer is a cautious "maybe."

No doubt animals will be present in heaven. That's different than saying my Rosie, the dog I knew on this earth, will be there. I'd rather not give false hope. Painful as it may be, doing so is how ideas such as Purgatory gain popular appeal.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

J_B_

May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My personal opinion is that the Bible isn’t clear on this and I’d like to think they do.

I understand, but I'm afraid the answer is no. The Bible never commands us to witness to the animals as it does with other people. If animals have souls, then God has done them a cruel disservice to leave them without the Gospel. It would mean some go to heaven and some go to hell, and we would need to take a much different approach.

Again, I'm sorry to say our pets, dear as they may be, will not be with us in heaven.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I understand, but I'm afraid the answer is no. The Bible never commands us to witness to the animals as it does with other people.
I don’t think the Bible is clear on the subject. I emailed my Pastor about this and am waiting for his reply.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

J_B_

May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If he says something different from what’s being said here does anyone want to hear what he told me, and accept it, or will you just argue about it?

I would like to hear it.

I hope my reply to @GreekOrthodox didn't sound overly argumentative. I believe he posted with sincere intent, and I tried to reply that way. I simply think he was reading into the quoted text things it wasn't saying. Again to clarify, it seems very likely there will be animals in heaven, and that is consistent with the text quoted from the LCMS website. But to say those animals are resurrected souls of our departed pets is something quite different.

My concern with a "cautious maybe" is that it will be received as a tacit yes.

If your pastor says, "we don't know", that's an answer I can accept even if it differs from my firm no. Anything else will make me scratch my head, and I'll want to know more. If we can do that without arguing, I'm all for it.

Upvote 0