DO A GOOD DEED! If you can converrt me, DO IT PLEASE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DongTanks

Jan 20, 2009
✟7,653.00
Faith
Seeker
Dear Mrs Brady,

Anyway, you make a strong point about me being more easily inclined toward Christianity than others might be. I remember being 7 years old, and I had just come home from going to church with my teengage aunt. My mother was talking to someone on the phone and said about me, "Yeah, she went to church with Donna. She really digs religion." (Early 70's, hence the word "dig.") The rest of my mother's side of the family never did go to church with any kind of regularity, despite my mother's grandfather having been a preacher. They profess belief, but they don't act like it matters very much, and it doesn't seem to affect their activities any. I don't know why I seem to have a predisposition to believing and embracing Christianity, as does my aunt and apparently my great-grandfather, but the rest of the family seems pretty much "meh."

However, it doesn't sound to me like you're such a difficult case. The fact that God's existence and Christ's gift of salvation are on your mind, shows that God is reaching out to you. All of your questions won't be answered at once, probably never will be until the next life. But you may have heard that saying about the longest journey beginning with one step. You don't have to know all there is to know about aviation and aerodynamics before you can fly an airplane, and you don't have to know all there is to know about God and the Bible before you can accept Christ.

By the way, I don't mean to be judgmental of my family. I was going to church by choice at age 7, just as my grandchildren (ages 8, 9, and 12) go voluntarily with us now. But until I asked Christ into my heart and gave Him my life, I don't think I was actually "saved." Going to church doesn't save us. Living by the Bible doesn't save us. Nothing we do saves us. Only accepting Christ's gift for us will do it.

And, might I add, I accepted that gift long before I understood how it worked. I still don't see all the logic in it, but I understand a little more as time goes by. One day, when I see Him, I can ask Him about what I still don't understand.

I've been praying for you.

Thank you. It is ok if you cannot find an answer to my question on God's biasness. I am truly grateful that you have prayed for me. I am truly moved to know that, while you could pray for the well-beings of others and yourself, you have chosen to pray for me, whom to you is a total stranger.

Thank you. I have never know how to do a proper prayer, but still, I will try to pray for you :D I hope my words will reach God's ears... :p

To visionary,

Be like thomas asking the LOrd to help your unbelief.. ask Him to give you the assurances that you need. Let's face it.. only He can satisfy your soul's needs.

Although I am not in Christianity, that is what I am doing........ so far, there comes no answer for me yet. Not even a sign, nor a hint. I asked, "If You are there, and the answer is yes, make me fall the moment I take my next step. If the answer is no, make me bang my head on the wall...."

I know the latter cannot happen if God do not exist, but still....

....neither happenned.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

soul_biscuit

Jan 19, 2009
✟15,476.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The long response I wrote appears to have been deleted, so I'll just hit the major points quickly, and with hope that I won't cross whatever line led to my my last post being wiped. (If it was wiped at all; perhaps I just made a mistake.)

On the Bible being reason to believe: It is not a good reason to believe in God until there is external verification of its accuracy. When such verification exists, I will be the first to acknowledge it. As God is supernatural, however, and the supernatural is not amenable to investigation, I don't believe such evidence is possible.

On the supposed paradox with free will: If free will exists, then we are free to accept or deny evidence presented to us. There is no contradiction here. Examples of people denying evidence: conspiracy theorists, anti-vaccination fanatics, and creationists. If free will does not exist, then everyone will accept or deny evidence based on their predispositions. Again, no contradiction.

On my being closed-minded and dogmatic: You do not know me, and you cannot see into my mind, so kindly do not make assumptions about my disposition that are outside your knowledge. My mind is just open enough to accept evidence and reasoned argument, and just closed enough to exclude woo and waffle. Again, at the first publication of confirmed, reproducible evidence of God's existence, I'll change my position.

On why I cared so much about clarifying your position: I was not able to gather what your position was, and I wanted to know for the benefit of future discussion. Thank you for clearing it up for me.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
This is what Christians had always tell me, and this is what I have always be telling them - as a joke.

Probably you haven't read the post about "God's holiness killing all of us in rays of light", which is why He cannot get close to us, and therefore, cannot reveal himself to us. Seriously, I am still waiting for the person who suggested this to show me how he had gotten this idea.

I think people have the idea that being in God's presence would be only a little more impressive than being in the presence of the President of the United States. The common view, it seems, is that God is just another guy but with a lot of power. As far as the Christian is concerned, nothing could be farther from the truth, however. Only a little clear thought on who God really is leads to a very different conclusion. Perhaps you have seen or read about the vastness of space and the material bodies that fill it. Maybe you have read of the awesome and staggering power of an exploding star or the all-consuming strength of a black hole. Possibly you have witnessed the beauty of a sunset or the destructive force of a tornado. Place all these things within the biblical truth that God made them all and is greater than them all. What then do you think it would be like to stand in the presence of such an One? The sheer force of His presence would destroy you if He did not suppress it. The Bible says that when Moses received the Ten Commandments from God and asked to look upon His face he was told that doing such a thing would destroy him. Instead, Moses was permitted only to see His "hinder parts" and even then the effect of doing so made Moses's face brilliantly radiant with light.

The Bible also says that "God is light and in Him is no darkness at all." Apart from the sheer crushing weight of His power, God is also absolutely holy. He is light in the fullest and purest sense. What this means is, I think, more difficult to grasp even than that which I have just tried so miserably to describe. I think it is God's purity, His holiness, more than anything else, that will undo any who stand before Him. Surely the measure of God's power is incomprehensible, but the piercing brilliance of His holiness consumes utterly. In the record of the Bible, men who found themselves in the presence of God, however shielded, fell upon their faces in terror and shame. It was first and foremost the awareness of God's perfect purity that brought those who stood before Him to their knees.

I do not believe that anyone could stand before God and simply walk away. The strength and holiness of His presence alone, without word or action, would carry such force that without God's intervention it would consume any and all who faced it.

God is not some kind, old, bearded guy with too much time on His hands. He is the unstoppable, incomparable Lord God Almighty of all that is.

I think even Christians forget this sometimes.

Peace to you.

Upvote 0

DongTanks

Jan 20, 2009
✟7,653.00
Faith
Seeker
The long response I wrote appears to have been deleted, so I'll just hit the major points quickly, and with hope that I won't cross whatever line led to my my last post being wiped. (If it was wiped at all; perhaps I just made a mistake.)

Really, you did make a mistake.

On the Bible being reason to believe: It is not a good reason to believe in God until there is external verification of its accuracy. When such verification exists, I will be the first to acknowledge it. As God is supernatural, however, and the supernatural is not amenable to investigation, I don't believe such evidence is possible.

Any external verification of its accuracy can never be a good reason to believe in God. Seriously. I have provided an explantion on my previous reply to you.

On the supposed paradox with free will: If free will exists, then we are free to accept or deny evidence presented to us. There is no contradiction here. Examples of people denying evidence: conspiracy theorists, anti-vaccination fanatics, and creationists. If free will does not exist, then everyone will accept or deny evidence based on their predispositions. Again, no contradiction.

Anyone have a choice to accept if Free Will exists or not, and this ability for us to make a choice is Free Will. Yet, when we realise this knowledge, the idea of Free Will is implied as the truth to us, not due to evidence, but logical reasoning. So, for the idea of Free Will to be implied to us as the truth, the idea of Free Will actually ceases to exist, for we have no ability to choose if Free Will exists. From your words, I can easily show you the paradox. It is not about the evidence nor the choice to accept evidence, is it? Rather, it is about the logical reasoning ad the ability to accept it as true or false.

When one talks about religion, sceintific evidences hold weak arguements regarding the existence/non-existence of God. With scientific verification to prove the existence of God, there will not be 'faith'. Reagarding this point, you have claimed that since the existence/non-existence of God cannot be externally verified, there is no reason for us to invent or assume the existence of God - but, not assuming if God is there is not equivalent that God is not there. We just do not know, yet. But I hope, somehow, that the discussion in this thread can give us a more sensible idea about His existence. Now, this topic on external verification is period. Your point about external verification (gentics and radiometric dating and stuff) is proved to be invalid, and I think it should not be brought up again. Probably, we should start trying 'logical reasoning' to pave a way to a more sensible idea about the God question, for the benefit of both of us.

On my being closed-minded and dogmatic: You do not know me, and you cannot see into my mind, so kindly do not make assumptions about my disposition that are outside your knowledge. My mind is just open enough to accept evidence and reasoned argument, and just closed enough to exclude woo and waffle. Again, at the first publication of confirmed, reproducible evidence of God's existence, I'll change my position.

I am not commenting on your character - certainly, I do not know you well enough to comment on it. But I was commenting on your behaviour. You have stubbornly and repititively brought up similar arguements, which have been answered before.

What is 'woo and waffle'?

Your point on 'external verification' is actually one of them, do you not notice? If you have any doubts about it, refer to the previous part of this reply (do not miss my words again).

On why I cared so much about clarifying your position: I was not able to gather what your position was, and I wanted to know for the benefit of future discussion. Thank you for clearing it up for me.

No problem. You are trying to help me too :D

Upvote 0

DongTanks

Jan 20, 2009
✟7,653.00
Faith
Seeker
I think we have reached a checkpoint in our discussion thread.

To clear things up a bit in this thread, for the benefit of all of us - let us sum up some the points.

1. External verifications - are they invalid in the 'God question'? If so, should 'logical reasonings' be used instead? (Note: logical reasonings is different from external verifications - when I refer to 'logical reasonings', I am refering to intellectual reasoning without the involvement of any physical evidences, sequentially in a step-by-step and logical manner).

2. Paradox on Free Will (refer to post #36)

3. A question on God's biasness (refer to post #36)

4. Telling about your experience with God can be helpful :D

It will be helpful if you inform on which 3 of the topics you are touching on before you start your post on this thread, to keep things tidy.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I am a seeker. If you can convince me of His existence, you will have done a good deed, for you will have saved me from damnation, and I will thank you.

I am glad you are a seeker, DT. Please be assured that God is not about to damn you for your doubts, so the best advice I can give you is, keep on seeking.

And the best place to look is in the gospels. Look at the actual words, and the actual deeds, of our Lord. Ignore the rest, to start with, and simply compare his life with your own, and make your choice. Nothing else matters, beside this.

It is certain that you will make the right choice in the end.

:wave:

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I have one last question for you: Can we gain entrance into heaven even if I have no faith? I dare say, I am a good person, and sure thing He will not reject a good, but lost, soul a ticket to heaven?

Don't ask other people. Read Matthew 25, and decide for yourself what the Lord's answer to this question is.

Upvote 0

Markus6

Veteran
Jul 19, 2006
Houston
✟22,034.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Greetings!

I'm not sure I can convince you of God's existence, the task seems quite daunting, but I'm certainly willing to dialogue with you.

I hate to disrespect my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ but I would suggest you ignore all those who are trying to defend overly literal interpretations of certain passages of the bible (which really don't justify a literal interpretation) against the accuracy of modern science. You do not have to reject evolution, or the big bang to believe in God. Somebody claimed in this thread that DNA disproves Darwin. However, I'm sure you know that before the discovery of Mendelian inheritance, and then DNA, Darwin's theory was left without a mechanism. DNA is the single biggest support for the theory of evolution.

Someone who knows this better than most is Francis Collins, the former head of the Human Genome Project who managed to map the full human genome, and also a Christian. I would recommend his book The Language of God to you which I think does a good job of showing how a top scientist can still be a Christian. Another book worth reading is Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis which was instrumental in Collins' discovery of Jesus from atheism. Actually I could probably recommend a library of books to you and a seminary full of preachers if you are interested.

If you'd rather just chat without me hiding behind the arguments of those more intelligent and more learned that myself feel free to ask me any questions. This thread is a little messy so my PM box is open.

But...but....but..... (speaking nervously now) the Bible is the only evidence left of His existence, for it is meant to contain His words! If the Bible cannot be trusted, then there will be no more support for Christianity, is there?

Big thanks, I will check out the books you reccommend.
Sorry to take so long in replying, life has been rather hectic. I'm also afraid I haven't been able to keep up with the whole thread so I'll just stick to our little conversation.

Firstly, I never said you couldn't trust the bible. My point was simply that the literal interpretation, used to reject evolution etc., isn't justified by the text. Believing a non-literal interpretation is no less trusting.

However, I don't think the bible is the only evidence left of his existence (what do you mean by "left"?). I've had debates on the use of the word evidence here so I'll avoid using it and instead say: there are reasons, outside of the bible, to believe in God.

Upvote 0

Markus6

Veteran
Jul 19, 2006
Houston
✟22,034.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

To clear things up a bit in this thread, for the benefit of all of us - let us sum up some the points.

1. External verifications - are they invalid in the 'God question'? If so, should 'logical reasonings' be used instead? (Note: logical reasonings is different from external verifications - when I refer to 'logical reasonings', I am refering to intellectual reasoning without the involvement of any physical evidences, sequentially in a step-by-step and logical manner).

It will be helpful if you inform on which 3 of the topics you are touching on before you start your post on this thread, to keep things tidy.

Thanks.
I think trying to do all your seeking into Christianity in one thread is quite ambitious. Perhaps it would be better to create separate threads for each topic to try and keep things a bit more manageable?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed

Thanks.

There is a question to consider before any of the above, DT.

The question is; why are you looking?

In anthropomorphical terms, the answer might be that every human culture has a concept of the divine; that which is above and beyond us, and which is either the Creator or the Great Spirit of life. Each human therefore has something innate within which reaches to that which is beyond the concrete and becomes the ineffable.

In Christian terms, this innate seeking within each human culture, each human being for meaning, whether found in faith, or humanity, or anywhere else, is the proof you are looking for that God exists.

God is not sitting on his fluffy cloud waiting for you to make up your mind. Rather it is he who is actively prompting this need in you to find out, and to find the truth. None of us finds God. He finds us.

In other words, the proof you seek is within you. It is God himself who is moving already in your life to prompt you to reach towards him, and it is God himself who will lead you safely home.

The rest of us can tell you of our journeys, but it really is not up to us to convince you of anything. It looks to me as if God already has it covered, and rather than wondering whether to start on this particular journey of faith or not, you are already several miles into your journey. Now all that remains is to decide who you want to accompany you.

I wish you well.

:wave:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As far as the Paradox (a great choice of words where two things that seem to be in direct conflict are both true) about free will and our choices...

God, by means of Jesus and Paul, has said that not everyone will be judged by the same plumb line. God is omnicient (knows E v e r y t h i n g) A person raised in a Muslim country who knows nothing about God or Christians (except that they are to be beheaded) or the stuff written in the Koran are going to be judged by a very different standard than you will which might be different (and likely so) than the one that I will.
God holds each of us accountable to be and do with the skills(and information) that He knows that we have. A main principle taught in the Bible is all about judging/condemning others...and not to do it. (we are not to touch God's stuff...and I agree. I ain't anywhere near smart enough) In post 36 you spoke about a programmer writing programs. If a program doesn't work the program is either re-written, added to, or deleted altogether. (God though is perfect) Where God may know what is going to happen...that doesn't neccesarily mean that He will cause it to happen. (very few special exceptions to this are found in the Bible) Those that are consistantly passionate for God (in truth and not just in name only) though do seem to get some added special assistance...go figure eh?

So, The question above does have me curious though.
What are you going to do with what you have learned here?

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
If God doesn't know whether or not he is going to cause something to happen, then he doesn't know what is going to happen, and he is not omniscient. It's one or the other.

God does know whether or not He is going to cause something to happen. But that foreknowledge doesn't mean He is the cause of that happening. I may know that all the licking my cat is doing to herself is going to cause a hairball - and then some other unfortunate things - but this knowledge isn't the cause of my cat's hairballs. ;)

If God is omniscient, then he knows everything, including everything that is going to happen. In that case, he can't make any decisions, because to do so would mean that he didn't know what was going to happen, and therefore wouldn't be omniscient.

Well, you're assuming that God's experience is the same as your own. You're assuming that God sees things along a continuum of time just as you and I do: One thing follows another, and another, and so on in a linear progression of moments. But God exists outside of time. His perspective takes in all of time at once. I don't think there is future, present and past with God like there is with us human beings.

Also, making a decision doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't know what is going to happen. When I decide to take a shower I know very well what is going to happen. In fact, it is precisely because I know what will happen when I take a shower that I choose to do so. So, no, making a decision does not necessarily mean you don't know what's going to happen.

Similarly, we are not free to make decisions, because if we were God wouldn't know what we were going to do, and therefore wouldn't be omniscient. Free will and omniscience cannot co-exist.

Because of the problems I've identified with your earlier statements, this conclusion does not follow from those statements.

Peace to you.

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2009
✟117.00
Faith
Hindu
Marital Status
Private
Free will and omniscience cannot co-exist

This is only true if you feel that your will and God's will are actually separate things.

This illusion of separateness must be addressed before any useful conversation will happen.

Dawkins is all well and good, but do we really need another fundamentalist?

Awaken Beloved and emerge into the knowledge of the holy science of symbiosis.

Please be converted to the information below. message me with questions.

MARCH 15TH

OBAMA DECEPTION

infowars com

Upvote 0

Quaero

Anglo-Catholic
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2009
England
✟23,833.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I am often in a dilema, of whether or not to adhere myself to Christianity. Scientific knowledge can usually destroy any religious claims surprisingly effectively, and the lack of intelligent inidviduals that can convince me of His existence is a major contriubtion to my state of dilema.

I am a seeker. If you can convince me of His existence, you will have done a good deed, for you will have saved me from damnation, and I will thank you.

You might want to take note that the benefits of adhering to the Christianity religion (as in spiritual release and such) is not relevant to this thread, as what I want to achieve aren't the benefits, buit the ability for me to make the CORRECT and SENSIBLE CHOICE of whther to abide to this religion.

Atheist are welcome to dissuade me the way of Christianity too. All that matters is that you can help me make the right choice.

Have you tried meditation? I've found it incredibly relaxing. In fact whilst mediating I've had what I would describe as religions experiences (yes even I can pick holes in that rhetoric). As a former anti-apologist I've realized that trying to choose a religion based on dogma is a waste of time, instead take it slowly, decide whether you believe in a God and take it from there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DongTanks

Jan 20, 2009
✟7,653.00
Faith
Seeker
To Catherineanne,

God is not sitting on his fluffy cloud waiting for you to make up your mind. Rather it is he who is actively prompting this need in you to find out, and to find the truth. None of us finds God. He finds us.

If He finds us, then what about free will? You mean our decision to follow God is not about free will, but about us being found by God instead? What about those who are never found by God? Why don't God just 'find' everyone.

To JohnDB

So, The question above does have me curious though.
What are you going to do with what you have learned here?

With an answer, I will come up with a decision I feel right, and having the decision being 'right' to me, I will want to help the people around me to choose what I believe to be right, like what you are doing now.

To soul_biscuit

You assumed that just because I didn't immediately acknowledge your arguments, I was being closedminded and doggedly dogmatic. You couldn't have known how offensive would find that, and that's not really your problem anyway, but the fact is your assumption was unfounded. You failed to consider that I simply don't agree with your arguments, or that I read them but didn't understand them, whether my fault or yours.

That's why they say "ASSUME makes a donkey out of U and ME."

I will like to address this issue FIRST, because I will like to end this needless arguement.

First, I didn't say anything about you not acknowleding any of my arguments and thus you being dogmatic and close-minded. I said, "You have stubbornly and repititively brought up similar arguements, which have been answered before."

I just do not want people to get too naggy and repeat the same points all over and over again, and therefore, you must open yourself to new ideas instead of being stuck to the few you have always mentioned. Did I say anything about you not acknowledging any of my arguments? No. You are definitely welcomed to dispute my points and convince me what you feel is right.

You may have found my words to be insulting or offensive, but I have emphasised time and again that my words do not reflect my tone of voice in this situation. I feel I had directed no harm nor personal attacks, but advice. Whether if you accept this explanation of mine or not is up to you, but I'll tell you that this is the case. You are still frequent in answering posts in this thread, and I do not want to spoil any harmony among us.

By the way, to assume is to make an ASS out of U and ME, not donkeys.

Ok, now let's move on.

I ask, then, what do you regard as a good reason for believing in God? You've intimated that the Bible may be such a reason, and I have responded that from the standpoint of reason and science, that simply isn't so. Is there another standpoint from which teh Bible can be regarded a good reason? Are there other good reasons?

It is good that you mentioned this. If no external verifications can prove God's existence effectively, probably we should try it through reasoning: to guess the thoughts of God, and to see in His point of view. First, we have to assume that God exist. To assume is not to accept, but to assume is to create a possible scenario for us to work our reasonings on, and from the level of reasoning we can acquire from the scenario, we can determine it's level of possibility, with a higher level proving that our assumption is the truth, or with a lower level proving that our assumption is flase.

Note that to assume is not to make claims that He exists, but to create a variable for out thought experiment in which we work on the possiblity of His existent.

An example of a topic of reasoning will be on the question of 'God's biasness' (refer to post 36) First, we have to decide if He is being biased, and if so, what is the purpose behind such biasness? And finally, is there a possible conclusion by God to solve this problem? If this question could be answered, we have made logical sense out of His actions, and this might prove that the assumption of His existence is true, otherwise it's false.

External verifications do not solve argue the question on God effectively. Physical evidence either disproves His existence or non-existence on the face-value, but if we probe further into the purpose of the existence of these 'physical evidences', we are into 'logical reasonings'. Again, this is to assume that He exists, and to assume is not to make claims that He exists, but to create a variable for out thought experiment in which we work on the possiblity of His existence.
---------------
And to quote two of your sentences.

If your only point about external verification is that it can never show that God does not exist, then I am completely in agreement.

and

Something that has not been shown to exist is the same as something whch does not exist, until evidence is presented.

Are these two sentences contradicting each other? Have I misintepreted the meanings of 'evidence' and 'external verifications wrongly (as in 'are they the same things, or different')?

Since when? It is absolutely not invalid. You've acknowledged it yourself. There is no empirical evidence for God's existence. This is a problem, is it not?

Since you said, "If your only point about external verification is that it can never show that God does not exist, then I am completely in agreement," then external verifications cannot effectively prove God's existence, and therefore should not be used, rendering any use of it to be invalid. Makes sense?
------------

Even if someone is presented with evidence that free will exists, they are still free to accept or deny that evidence as well.

We are able to do thus, because a paradox exists. With the existence of a paradox, we are given 2 options to choose from. This ability to choose an option, in itself, is free will.

If someone is given evidences of free will, how do you deny that evidence? Unless it is not concrete evidence, like the external verifications to God's existence, one cannot deny truths that are the equivalent of '2 plus 2 = 4'.

Upvote 0

DongTanks

Jan 20, 2009
✟7,653.00
Faith
Seeker
Well, you're assuming that God's experience is the same as your own. You're assuming that God sees things along a continuum of time just as you and I do: One thing follows another, and another, and so on in a linear progression of moments. But God exists outside of time. His perspective takes in all of time at once. I don't think there is future, present and past with God like there is with us human beings.
This is a good point. There's plenty of evidence that time exists as a fourth dimension to compliment three dimensions of space, and on this view our perception of time as a continuum is certainly a human illusion. This, of course, only compounds the problem. If God can see the whole of time all at once, he certainly can see the outcome of all of our decisions. This means our decisions are predetermined, and free will cannot exist.
Also, making a decision doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't know what is going to happen. When I decide to take a shower I know very well what is going to happen. In fact, it is precisely because I know what will happen when I take a shower that I choose to do so. So, no, making a decision does not necessarily mean you don't know what's going to happen.
Before you decided to take the shower, did you know you were going to take a shower?

Regarding the issue on making decisions....

When one makes a decision, there must be choices. And for there to be choices, there is uncertainty. If you know you are going for a shower, aiki, you have not decided on anything at all, but you are determined on your task, that's all. There's no choice, thus no decision is made. I have to agree on souol_biscuit's point on the 'shower' issue.

Anyway, I think this 'shower' thingy do not illustrate the free will issue well enough.

Well, soul_biscuit, you could be wrong when you said that 'If God can see the whole of time all at once, he certainly can see the outcome of all of our decisions. This means our decisions are predetermined, and free will cannot exist.'

I say you COULD BE.

If you check the Merriam Webster Dictionary definition on 'omniscient' - it means having infinite awareness. He can be inifitely aware about everything, including our decisions and the number of people God is going to salvage at the End Times, but that does not mean he can interfere in our decision making process. Why is our decisions predetermined if he can see the outcome of our decisions?

'He can SEE the outcome', does not neccessary be equivalent to 'He can RESULT in the outcome'.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DongTanks

Jan 20, 2009
✟7,653.00
Faith
Seeker
To soul_biscuit

OK, I think you may have what I'm saying here. I'll try to say it again clearly to be sure. Because God's existence is an unfalsifiable proposition, I contend that there is no evidence that could possibly establish God's existence. From that standpoint, I would expect to be able to show how any use of evidence to establish God's existence is based on a fallacy. I am open to being proven wrong, though.

You are right. Since no evidence can either prove or disprove the existence of God, it will be of no help to the 'God question'. Therefore, all we can do to make a better sense out of the 'God question' is to guess the thoughts of God, by first assuming that He exist, and conclude on the possibility of the assumption to be true. Of course, we may not come out with a right conclusion, but this is the only line of thought from which we can grasp the 'God question'.

The questions on Free Will and God's biasness (both describe in detail on post 36), should be considered as similar attempts to 'guess the thoughts of God'.

If someone is given evidences of free will, how do you deny that evidence? Unless it is not concrete evidence, like the external verifications to God's existence, one cannot deny truths that are the equivalent of '2 plus 2 = 4'.
Sure they can. People can deny anything. Do you know that there are people who claim that George W. Bush was responsible for the attacks on the World Trade Center? This is a transparently absurd claim without any evidential backing, but people happily put it forward, and deny any evidence that contradicts it. Conspirary theorists are experts at denying and re-interpreting the clearest of evidence. So are young earth creationists.

Are you stating the non-existence of the 'Free Will Paradox'? If the answer is yes, then we should have come to the next question on Free Will - do Free Will really exist in our world, or is it just an individual perception in a deterministic world?

Upvote 0

DongTanks

Jan 20, 2009
✟7,653.00
Faith
Seeker
'He can SEE the outcome', does not neccessary be equivalent to 'He can RESULT in the outcome'.
I'm not sure I follow. If he can see the outcome, then the outcome exists, and therefore we are not free to choose it.

It is like you reading a book. You, as the reader of the book, are omniscient to the characters in the story. You can refer to their stories in certain chapters, and has infinite awareness of what is happenning at when, but, as you are not the characters in the book, you cannot decide on the ending of the story. You can read and re-read the ending of the book, or any parts of it, but despite having this omniscient awareness, it does not mean you can decide on how the story is going to end. The end is decided by the characters, which is resulted by the decisions of the characters as the story unfolds.

Being aware does not mean you have the power to intervene the decision made by the characters in the story.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.