Divorced single men, ministry profession

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Someone told me that there is one profession that frowns upon divorced, single men. Ones that are in the ministry. Apparently, if you divorced while in this position, this would not bode well for your career in the ministry, yes?

Not really! A God fearing preacher can't help that his wife leaves him for the world, or that she just doesn't want to be involved in the ministry any longer.

Upvote 0

HisGraceAbounds

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2019
Central Illinois
✟267,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
I think that's a very narrow-minded view. Certainly, a pastor is held up as an example, but they still put their pants on one leg at a time like the rest of us and are just as human as any member of the congregation.

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Teleevangelist Paster John Hagee had an affair with a younger woman in his church and left his wife and kids to marry her.

Not all pastors are living Christian lives. A pastor should not be actively living a sinful life. A man who has deserted his family is living a sinful life and can't be trusted to lead a church or ministries. Fact in point. His choices and lifestyle show his character and his relationship with God.

• Agree
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Teleevangelist Paster John Hagee had an affair with a younger woman in his church and left his wife and kids to marry her.

Not all pastors are living Christian lives. A pastor should not be actively living a sinful life. A man who has deserted his family is living a sinful life and can't be trusted to lead a church or ministries. Fact in point. His choices and lifestyle show his character and his relationship with God.
I did not know this. Off to wikipedia I go.

Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟382,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It wouldn't bode well for their career in ministry, no, but people can and do overcome obstacles in life. Sometimes, in a way that glorifies God and inspires others. I wouldn't say that it's the end, but more of a challenge. Either way, I would wish them well.

As a member of the congregation, however, I might go elsewhere or just read my Bible at home. Why is this person so insistent on leading others' spiritual lives when they should be focused on their own healing? That would be a red flag for me. It isn't about looking for perfection, or anyone being better in God's eyes, but about priorities. Then there's also the element of leading by example. Regardless of who is at fault, should the most prominent example set for the congregation be a broken home? I'm not inclined to think so. It wouldn't matter if they were running a local business, but it might matter when leading others in such a personal thing as spirituality.

If they were divorced before becoming a Christian, however, it probably wouldn't be as much of an issue. Perhaps not an issue at all, given the doctrine of being a new creation in Christ.

True

Part of the problem is that it isn't always so clear who is to blame for a divorce. The situation tends to be "he said, she said", often with the victim looking worse than the perpetrator. The reason for this is that those who are at fault have fewer scruples, and are more likely to lie about what happened.

Also, pastors are in a position of influence, and tend to have lots of charm and charisma. Those aren't bad things, but they do make it easier to put one's story out there and persuade others. Who are people more inclined to believe; the pastor, or the pastor's spouse?

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I would not necessarily refuse to support a pstor who is divorced. It would depend on the situation. However, it would be fair to wonder how a man could lead a church successfully when he cant lead his own family to live a Christ-like life. GOD - FAMILY - CHURCH

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums