✟39,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Matthew 19:
3 The Pharisees also came to Him, testing Him, and saying to Him, Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any reason?
And He answered and said to them, Have you not read that He who made at the beginning ‘made them male and female,’
5 and said, For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and
be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh?
6 So then, they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together,
let not man separate.
7 They said to Him, Why then did Moses command to give a certificate of divorce,
and to put her away?
8 He said to them, Moses, because of the hardness of your hearts, permitted you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so.
9 And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced commits adultery.

Deuteronomy 24:
When a man takes a wife and marries her, and it happens that she finds no favor in his eyes because he has found some indecency in her, and he writes her a certificate of divorce and puts it in her hand and sends her out from his house,
2 and she leaves his house and goes and becomes another man’s wife,
3 and if the latter husband turns against her and writes her a certificate of divorce and puts it in her hand and sends her out of his house, or if the latter husband dies who took her to be his wife,
4 then her former husband who sent her away is not allowed to take her again to be his wife, since she has been defiled; for that is an abomination before the LORD, and you shall not bring sin on the land which the LORD your God gives you as an inheritance.

This is an interesting statute in that the certificate of divorce is acknowledged because of "some indecency in her". A second husband appears to have a similar experience and takes the same action. The statute prohibits the first husband from having a change of heart, as this would be a detestable act that brings sin upon the land. Note that the indecency must be an issue other than virginity.

Divorce or Judgment? Keeping the Torah can really get complicated.
Deuteronomy 22:
If any man takes a wife and goes in to her and then turns against her,
14 and charges her with shameful deeds and publicly defames her, and says, ‘I took this woman, but when I came near her, I did not find her a virgin,’
15 then the girl’s father and her mother shall take and bring out the evidence of the girl’s virginity to the elders of the city at the gate.
16 The girl’s father shall say to the elders, I gave my daughter to this man for a wife, but he turned against her;
17 and behold, he has charged her with shameful deeds, saying, I did not find your daughter a virgin. But this is the evidence of my daughter’s virginity. And they shall spread the garment before the elders of the city.
18 So the elders of that city shall take the man and chastise him,
19 and they shall fine him a hundred shekels of silver and give it to the girl’s father, because he publicly defamed a virgin of Israel. And she shall remain his wife; he cannot divorce her all his days.
20 But if this charge is true, that the girl was not found a virgin,
21 then they shall bring out the girl to the doorway of her father’s house, and the men of her city shall stone her to death because she has committed an act of folly in Israel by playing the harlot in her father’s house; thus you shall purge the evil from among you.

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God hate sin. That is the begining and ending of it.
It is legally minded people who are used to twisting words so a wrong deed is not wrong who try to differentiate between sins.

God hate sin, All sin, whether a Big Sin or a little white lie they are sin.

• Agree
Reactions: Mr. M
Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
God hate sin. That is the begining and ending of it.
It is legally minded people who are used to twisting words so a wrong deed is not wrong who try to differentiate between sins.

God hate sin, All sin, whether a Big Sin or a little white lie they are sin.
Yes, that is the spirit of the Pharisees who are questioning Yeshua. There is more to gain from the
narrative. Divorce was never the Father's intent. Granted, and yet the Lord makes this caveat:
except for sexual immorality. You may have noticed that I put that in bold to call to your attention.
Hence, a person can divorce their spouse in the case of infidelity. Or are you reading that differently?

Upvote 0