Bristol
✟15,971.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I can relate with her sentiment about Deuteronomy 22. Back when this was written men didn't know much about the human body. The hymen was just a loose piece of skin left over from birth and was never ment to be used to determine if a woman has had sex or not. Another issue with this is that not all hymen form the same and can stretch in everyday activities. Sadly many women were probable shamed, put out as sinners or stoned because they did not bleed on their wedding night. This is another myth that all women bleed the first time they have sex. I am sure many women used blood from an animal to put on the bed sheets to show their husband that they were pure.

As for rape it is another hard thing in the bible that you just been brutally raped and now face the community of why your not a virgin anymore. They say either you marry the man and live with the man who did this to you or you face the shame of not being a virgin and the prospect of finding a husband is much more difficult. Men wanted to be the first to be with their wife and not be seconds. Though waiting to marriage is still important if you love the person you have to decide if your willing to look past what they did if they asked God for forgiveness of the sin.

There are a lot of brutal practices in the Bible that we no longer do today like slavery and murder of whole cities that were common in biblical times.

As for the OP I think a lot of the reason I hear of some women staying in an unhappy or abusive relationship is that some churches teach unless your husband commits adultery to separate
from your husband would be frowned upon by the church. With women being taught that they need to be stay at home moms makes it harder for some to start over because they are financially dependent on the husband's income.
I

Well there is nothing in Bible forbidding women to work and be independent and educated before they marry, so a wise woman needs to learn skills to make her employable before she marries, if possible. But that isn't always possible.

I thank God for women's refuges and the Duluth Model etc

Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
These things are life altering decisions usually based on emotions instead of reasonable logical facts.

Unfortunately, some of us have it thrust on to us through no fault of our own. I was essentially abandoned and divorced. I had to take part in the proceedings only to be sure that I had fair access to my children and it was a fair child support amount taken from me.

Thankfully, after some time and prayer and praying for God to bring someone into my life that He has for me, He brought my girlfriend into my life and she has the same story of prayer as well after her husband repeatedly cheated on her. He actually told her he would never change.

Upvote 0