Auckland
✟379,628.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is being presented is one rather legalistic interpretation of these scriptures...

If anyone wants to seriously understand this issue I can post a careful study from a Prof. of NT studies who has devoted a chunk of his life to the study of this matter...

Upvote 0

Leet

Feb 24, 2015
✟77,484.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
If a man or woman is being abused physically, sexually or emotionally within their marriage, I'd be very leery of anyone who insisted they stay. And to further punish said person (and anyone else they meet) for leaving by insisting on a life of loneliness? It takes two people to maintain a marriage, even if at times it takes one to end it.

Upvote 0

Ashley Amos

May 25, 2020
Edmonton
Visit site
✟6,176.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If a man or woman is being abused physically, sexually or emotionally within their marriage, I'd be very leery of anyone who insisted they stay. And to further punish said person (and anyone else they meet) for leaving by insisting on a life of loneliness? It takes two people to maintain a marriage, even if at times it takes one to end it.

Please provide chapter and verse of where This is said in the bible.

Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Adultery or fornication is also used. No difference both are sexual intercourse outside the marriage.
And exactly why would an adulterous person get a divorce when they are dead by stoning?

Upvote 0

Ashley Amos

May 25, 2020
Edmonton
Visit site
✟6,176.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is being presented is one rather legalistic interpretation of these scriptures...

If anyone wants to seriously understand this issue I can post a careful study from a Prof. of NT studies who has devoted a chunk of his life to the study of this matter...

If your professor sees these scriptures another way then he has manipulated and compromised them since no matter how much you study them they will not change to say the opposite.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If your professor sees these scriptures another way then he has manipulated and compromised them since no matter how much you study them they will not change to say the opposite.

How about the original languages used... like the Hebrew and aramaic?

How about the history of the English translation of scriptures was made under which famous English King?
Why did that King commission an English translation?

Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you saying Jesus allows stoning?
I'm only asking because Stephan was stoned...
Then the passage you are referring to in John 8 is highly contested scripture.

And the stoning of an adulterous person is mandated by Moses.

Upvote 0

Ashley Amos

May 25, 2020
Edmonton
Visit site
✟6,176.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How about the original languages used... like the Hebrew and aramaic?

How about the history of the English translation of scriptures was made under which famous English King?
Why did that King commission an English translation?
Matthew 11:25

New International Version
At that time Jesus said, "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children.

• Agree
Reactions: EJ M
Upvote 0

Ashley Amos

May 25, 2020
Edmonton
Visit site
✟6,176.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm only asking because Stephan was stoned...
Then the passage you are referring to in John 8 is highly contested scripture.

And the stoning of an adulterous person is mandated by Moses.

Stephen was not stoned by followers of Christ was he?

Can you show me any scripture where Jesus does condone stoning?

And lastly Moses mandates divorce for any reason at all but Jesus reformed divorce to how it originally was intended to be which is no divorce unless a wife commits adultery.

Reactions: EJ M
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 11:25

New International Version
At that time Jesus said, "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children.

Well you haven't explained yet why or how God, who doesn't change, has completely reversed Himself on this subject.

In the Torah, adulterous people were stoned. Even Tamara was fixing to get stoned in Genesis when she became pregnant until she proved that Judah was indeed the biological father of her baby.

Men who were adulterous also were routinely stoned.

Upvote 0

Ashley Amos

May 25, 2020
Edmonton
Visit site
✟6,176.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well you haven't explained yet why or how God, who doesn't change, has completely reversed Himself on this subject.

In the Torah, adulterous people were stoned. Even Tamara was fixing to get stoned in Genesis when she became pregnant until she proved that Judah was indeed the biological father of her baby.

Men who were adulterous also were routinely stoned.
John 8

Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
John 8 is highly contested scripture. Most Bibles have footnotes explaining this. Why would you use the most contested scripture to form a very condemning theology? And condemnation is ALWAYS risky in a NT era.

And your creating a whole new meaning out of "Put Away" for a wife is in direct conflict with scriptures AND every anthropologist that has studied the Ancient Near East.

So...
Considering the King of England who commissioned the English translation of the scriptures
And
Considering that God is Immutable
And
Stoning of adulterers
And
You don't have any real knowledge of what "Put Away" means
And
You are using highly contested scriptures as proofs of a highly doubtful theology

I'm doubting your answers for divorce and remarriage.

Upvote 0