FrenchyBearpaw

Take time for granite.
Jun 13, 2011
✟4,283.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It does make me laugh when I see this question. A theory to non-scientists is just a hypothesis which has been around a while and not proved wrong YET. Theories are NOT facts and indeed are often tinkered to make them continue to work and theories throughout history have been proved wrong. I'm guessing that you will be asking proof of this too, because on the scientific side of the fence you can't take anything at face value.
The planet Vulcan was an accepted theory until Einstein came along with the theory of relativity. The Earth increasing in size was another theory until the theory of tectonic plates was raised. There was the blank slate theory, the aether theory, Einsteins static universe theory, cold fusion. You could write a book filled with failed theories.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5044/5269558397_64406aeb94_z.jpg

Upvote 0

CabVet

Question everything
Dec 7, 2011
Los Altos, CA
✟28,402.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you don't know anything about religion, why do you criticise it?

You have no idea what I know (or don't) about religion. So, can you answer the question? It is quite simple: what major dogma in Christianity (or any other religion) has changed in the past 2,000 years due to translation errors?

Upvote 0

nuttypiglet

Mar 23, 2012
✟8,299.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I spent 10 years on that side of the fence, thank you. I much prefer the side of the fence I'm on now, where magic and superstition are only real in Hollywood and book publishers offices.

Oh I see, so you prefer to call accurate prophecies "magic" ? whatever.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2012
✟15,179.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Oh I see, so you prefer to call accurate prophecies "magic" ? whatever.

Talking snakes, talking donkeys, water to wine, multi-hundred year old men, a wooden boat holding two of all the animals in the world, and a pair of creation stories that contradict each other and have reality with reality.

If not magic, what would you call it? To say nothing of what prophecies you think the bible has predicted accurately.

Upvote 0

CabVet

Question everything
Dec 7, 2011
Los Altos, CA
✟28,402.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One such dogma is the belief of what will happen in the tribulation, who will be involved and when it will take place.

I am still waiting to hear how it was interpreted before, what translation mistake was corrected, and how it is interpreted now.

Upvote 0

nuttypiglet

Mar 23, 2012
✟8,299.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Talking snakes, talking donkeys, water to wine, multi-hundred year old men, a wooden boat holding two of all the animals in the world, and a pair of creation stories that contradict each other and have reality with reality.

If not magic, what would you call it? To say nothing of what prophecies you think the bible has predicted accurately.

This is just my point. You say the boat was wooden, you say there are contradictions, which shows you don't keep up with the evolution of the scriptures.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2012
✟15,179.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
This is just my point. You say the boat was wooden, you say there are contradictions, which shows you don't keep up with the evolution of the scriptures.

The ark was supposedly guilt of gopher wood. Now, I'm no lumberjack or tree expert, but I'm pretty sure that gopher wood isn't made of iron, bronze, copper or any other form of metal that would have been available at the time.

And for contradictions, all you have to do is look at the first two chapters of Genesis. Chapter one is the familiar story with all the "and the yadda yadda was the first day" and so forth, and ends with man and woman being created at the same time on the sixth day after all the other animals were created, along with plants a previous day (which incidently occured before the sun was supposedly created, so yeah not alot of credibility even by this point in the book). Chapter two begins with Adam, a barren earth that then gets populated by animals and plants that Adam has to name, and then the nap-and-nip to pull out a rib and make Eve.

But I do have to say, I enjoy the irony immensely of the phrase "evolution of scripture" from the side that is denying evolution in the first place.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CabVet

Question everything
Dec 7, 2011
Los Altos, CA
✟28,402.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you want to know how it was interpreted before, then I suggest you do some studying. Do you know how long it would take to teach the book of revelation to you?
Come back when you've studied it and then we can take it from there.

Yeah, as I thought all made up stuff.

Upvote 0

nuttypiglet

Mar 23, 2012
✟8,299.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Gopher wood was used by the translators but is incorrect. People of the time were also had skills in metallurgy. Is the 'rib' the correct interpretation also? it could also men 'side'. The scriptures you refer to are simple, they are the same but one gives more detail than the other. Now as for evolution. You speak as if evolution only applies to life. Guess what? it doesn't. For a simple example, the Universe evolved.

Upvote 0

CabVet

Question everything
Dec 7, 2011
Los Altos, CA
✟28,402.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Gopher wood was used by the translators but is incorrect. People of the time were also had skills in metallurgy. Is the 'rib' the correct interpretation also? it could also men 'side'. The scriptures you refer to are simple, they are the same but one gives more detail than the other.

What Christian dogma has changed because of the translation of "gopher wood"? How did the translation of gopher wood affect the interpretation of Revelations?

Now as for evolution. You speak as if evolution only applies to life. Guess what? it doesn't. For a simple example, the Universe evolved.

In case you didn't notice, the topic of this thread is biological evolution. Any idea what that is?

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2012
✟15,179.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Gopher wood was used by the translators but is incorrect. People of the time were also had skills in metallurgy. Is the 'rib' the correct interpretation also? it could also men 'side'. The scriptures you refer to are simple, they are the same but one gives more detail than the other. Now as for evolution. You speak as if evolution only applies to life. Guess what? it doesn't. For a simple example, the Universe evolved.

So the divine word of an all mighty deity can be undone by simple human grammar errors? I guess it's true that the pen really is the most powerful weapon in the world.

And none of the suggestions you offer makes the story any more plausible. Building a boat that large out of metals of the day would have been hugely expensive, time consuming and labor intensive. Plus I suppose you're going to say that the part about sealing the wood with pitch is also mis-translated as well. Likewise, simply saying that Eve was created from Adam's side rather than from a rib, doesn't help the myth either.

And evolution technically applies only to biological organisms. Other disciplines, such as astronomy, talk about things evolving because it's easier to say "stellar evolution" than it is "stellar transition from dust cloud to main sequence to death". But there is no natural selection going on inside a star.

Upvote 0

nuttypiglet

Mar 23, 2012
✟8,299.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So the divine word of an all mighty deity can be undone by simple human grammar errors? I guess it's true that the pen really is the most powerful weapon in the world.

And none of the suggestions you offer makes the story any more plausible. Building a boat that large out of metals of the day would have been hugely expensive, time consuming and labor intensive. Plus I suppose you're going to say that the part about sealing the wood with pitch is also mis-translated as well. Likewise, simply saying that Eve was created from Adam's side rather than from a rib, doesn't help the myth either.

And evolution technically applies only to biological organisms. Other disciplines, such as astronomy, talk about things evolving because it's easier to say "stellar evolution" than it is "stellar transition from dust cloud to main sequence to death". But there is no natural selection going on inside a star.

Clearly the evolution I spoke of was related to christianity. Evolution means to develop gradually. You could apply this to a painting, a book, a sculpture and many things.
So tell me, how much would it have cost for metal thousands of years ago?
I never said it was made ENTIRELY of metal. Do all evolutions have this problem with reading? Ah pitch is actually interesting, it was used but resin was mixed in with the material used to make the ark. You do know how long Noah was given to build the ark right? EASILY enough time for 4 men and some women to build it, with time to spare.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

nuttypiglet

Mar 23, 2012
✟8,299.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What Christian dogma has changed because of the translation of "gopher wood"? How did the translation of gopher wood affect the interpretation of Revelations?

In case you didn't notice, the topic of this thread is biological evolution. Any idea what that is?

I didn't suggest that gopher wood was in the book of revelation (it's singular by the way). This was by someone suggesting the magic involved with boat building.
The book of revelation in part deals with the last days, and the reference to 666 is seriously being debated now. It does have slight translation issues, but the biggest problem is that always western views are being applied to it rather than middle eastern views. Western people are applying it to rome and the vatican, but middle eastern people don't see it that way at all.
Rome isn't going to rise again, and the UN is nothing to do with 666. We should be looking at where the people of Rome went after it fell apart.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2012
✟15,179.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Clearly the evolution I spoke of was related to christianity. Evolution means to develop gradually. You could apply this to a painting, a book, a sculpture and many things.
So tell me, how much would it have cost for metal thousands of years ago?
I never said it was made ENTIRELY of metal. Do all evolutions have this problem with reading? Ah pitch is actually interesting, it was used but resin was mixed in with the material used to make the ark. You do know how long Noah was given to build the ark right? EASILY enough time for 4 men and some women to build it, with time to spare.

Some metals in the past were worth more than gold is today. During the Bronze age, if someone found a tin deposit they would become very wealthy because it was such a critical component and was rarer to find in easily mined deposits than was copper.

I know how much time the bible says he had to do it, but considering there's no evidence to back up the bible's account, that gives it as much credibility as saying elves exist because you read it in a Tolkein novel.

Upvote 0

nuttypiglet

Mar 23, 2012
✟8,299.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Science doesn't accept evidence that disproves evolution. I would LOVE to visit the back of some museums. There are lots of scientists who have been ridiculed and discredited because they have found evidence of dates being totally wrong, never to work in their field of work again. Why would science do this to people if it's so perfect?

Upvote 0

Oafman

Try telling that to these bog brained murphys
Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
Science doesn't accept evidence that disproves evolution. I would LOVE to visit the back of some museums. There are lots of scientists who have been ridiculed and discredited because they have found evidence of dates being totally wrong, never to work in their field of work again. Why would science do this to people if it's so perfect?
Are you suggesting that science is a giant conspiracy?

Upvote 0

JamesKurtovich

Euphoric Neckbeard
Nov 18, 2008
Alaska
✟15,331.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Is it possible that they manipulated the data to support their conclusions and ruined their reputation?

Science is made up of many different individuals. Have they all agreed to silence any opposition to evolution? What other theories are they protecting? Maybe science is a secret society. Maybe they're reptilians.

Upvote 0