Dispensationalism in Church History

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 24, 2003
The Dalles, OR
✟5,260.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
John Nelson Darby was an Anglican priest. He heard the theory of dispensationalism from a tongue speaker in Scotland in 1830. Darbyites like to point to a a Jesuit and his theorys to justify that it was not a tongue speaker in Scotland that dreamed up the whole fantasy of the rapture.
Jeff the Finn

Upvote 0

Maximus

Orthodox Christian
Jun 24, 2003
✟7,903.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've read Engleman's Ultimate Things. It's okay, but Engleman advances the idea that the "He [or he] who restrains" of 2 Thess. 2:7 was the Russian Czar. I don't buy it, and I don't think many others will either. It hurts Engleman's credibility.

T.L. Frazier's A Second Look at the Second Coming is far and away the better of the two books. In fact, it is the best thing I have read on eschatology.

Another good one is Will Catholics Be Left Behind?, by Carl E. Olson.

If Reformed Baptist knows his Reformed theology at all, he will realize that it is most definitely NOT Dispensationalist or even Premillenialist.

If he is interested in some good books on eschatology from the Reformed perspective, he should check out this site and look for books on eschatology. There are some there that will slice and dice Dispensationalism for him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Reformed Baptist

Dec 3, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
✟7,942.00
Faith
Christian
Maximus said:
If Reformed Baptist knows his Reformed theology at all, he will realize that it is most definitely NOT Dispensationalist or even Premillenialist.

If he is interested in some good books on eschatology from the Reformed perspective, he should check out this site and look for books on eschatology. There are some there that will slice and dice Dispensationalism for him.
Thanks for the comment Maximus, but I do know what I believe and I do know what Reformed Baptists believe. :hug:

Upvote 0

Maximus

Orthodox Christian
Jun 24, 2003
✟7,903.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Reformed Baptist said:
Thanks for the comment Maximus, but I do know what I believe and I do know what Reformed Baptists believe. :hug:
Okay, if you say so. But I used to be a pretty heavy-duty Calvinist/Reformed guy myself, and Reformed eschatology has always been pretty uniformly amillenial, with a smattering here and there of postmillenialism (e.g., Lorraine Boettner).

Upvote 0

nyj

Goodbye, my puppy
Feb 5, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟39,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Maximus said:
But I used to be a pretty heavy-duty Calvinist/Reformed guy myself, and Reformed eschatology has always been pretty uniformly amillenial, with a smattering here and there of postmillenialism (e.g., Lorraine Boettner).
Every Calvinist/Reformed person I've ever talked to has been at the very least, a partial preterist.

Upvote 0

Maximus

Orthodox Christian
Jun 24, 2003
✟7,903.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
nyj said:
Every Calvinist/Reformed person I've ever talked to has been at the very least, a partial preterist.
I agree.

But partial preterism (not whacky full preterism) is the historical, patristic position and goes hand-in-glove with amillenialism.

Eschatology is one of the very few things that the Reformed get somewhat right.

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day. ;)

Reactions: MariaRegina
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.