Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have no idea if omnipotence is a coherent concept. i don't have a frame of reference to base any claims of omnipotence off of. I'm just going by how Christians typically describe their god. It certainly seems to make theology easier if you conclude that whatever god you believe in isn't omnipotent. Takes care of some thorny theological problems.
What do you think makes those Christians say such a thing?

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How long does it take for you to decide what to have for breakfast in the morning? Does it take up to 8 weeks?
Usually not that type of decision. Usually it is a problem to be solved. Note: some decisions are easy while others aren't, and habits are predetermined patterns for decisions going forward.

Upvote 0

Davian

fallible
May 30, 2011
West Coast of Canada
✟38,603.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
Usually not that type of decision. Usually it is a problem to be solved. Note: some decisions are easy while others aren't, and habits are predetermined patterns for decisions going forward.
Usually not? But, sometimes, it takes you up to 8 weeks to decide what to have for breakfast?

Upvote 0

Davian

fallible
May 30, 2011
West Coast of Canada
✟38,603.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
The proper context is "usually not that type of decision". Hope this helps.
It doesn't. "Usually" still leaves the possibility of you taking (or having taken) 8 weeks to decide what to have for breakfast. I am just trying to determine what you mean when you say "decide".

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It doesn't. "Usually" still leaves the possibility of you taking (or having taken) 8 weeks to decide what to have for breakfast. I am just trying to determine what you mean when you say "decide".
It doesn't take 8 weeks to make that kind of decision. I meant usually I don't even need to consider what to eat for breakfast, I just need to figure out what to eat.

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am just trying to determine what you mean when you say "decide".
Ok, for this WRT sexual orientation, you can consider key words I have used: comfort and taste. We must decide at some point whether we will become comfortable with the idea of developing that sense of taste or not. Sometimes the sense of taste is developed by accident, or before we even realise it has happened, and sometimes there is no stigma. Likewise, we can decide any time to change our preferences, which is a mindset (desire vs disgust), but I cannot suggest that I have skills to do it effectively, only that I know it happens.

I would like to suggest that we assess the nature of making decisions, because I think that is really not well understood or agreed upon, and I think most people with opinions such as the one you are presenting think that decisions are something quite different than I think they are. I consider it a fork in the road. One or the other. I am accustomed to this view since having learned to write computer software.

Upvote 0

Davian

fallible
May 30, 2011
West Coast of Canada
✟38,603.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
It doesn't take 8 weeks to make that kind of decision. I meant usually I don't even need to consider what to eat for breakfast, I just need to figure out what to eat.
So there are multiple kinds of decisions.
Ok, for this WRT sexual orientation, you can consider key words I have used: comfort and taste. We must decide at some point whether we will become comfortable with the idea of developing that sense of taste or not. Sometimes the sense of taste is developed by accident, or before we even realise it has happened, and sometimes there is no stigma. Likewise, we can decide any time to change our preferences, which is a mindset (desire vs disgust), but I cannot suggest that I have skills to do it effectively, only that I know it happens.
I gather from the OP that he feels that there are individuals that will be held accountable (by his hypothetical deity) for certain things, things that are beyond their current ability to change, much like you just related here. I personaly do not think that people should be held accountable for things beyond their control. What is your position on this?
I would like to suggest that we assess the nature of making decisions, because I think that is really not well understood or agreed upon, and I think most people with opinions such as the one you are presenting think that decisions are something quite different than I think they are. I consider it a fork in the road. One or the other. I am accustomed to this view since having learned to write computer software.
As a computer programmer myself, I do not see how you make this comparison.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,748,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
MOD HAT

The Philosophy Forum Statement of Purpose includes this:
Note what I made red.
Philosophy of religion is a philosophical study of religion which seeks to discuss questions regarding the nature of religion as a whole, including the nature and existence of God, rather than examining or arguing against the theology of a particular belief system. The philosophy of religion is rational, critical thought and exploration of general religious themes and concepts. Philosophy of religion is focused on investigating religion itself, rather than the truth of any particular religion. The CF Philosophy forum is not intended for general apologetics of Christianity, i.e., the defense of the Christian faith against arguments, objections or attacks from non-Christians. Nor is this forum intended as a means for Christian evangelism (persuasion) of unbelievers. We ask that you would show respect for the Christian faith and not make posts which insult or mock Christianity or any part of the Trinity-Father (God), Son (Jesus) and the Holy Spirit. Threads which staff determines are intended for the sole purpose of attacking or arguing against Christianity will be closed.

This is closed.

(Link for staff)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.