Disney Finds 'Little Mermaid' Star in Singer Halle Bailey

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Singer-actress Halle Bailey will be part of Disney's world.

Bailey, who with her sister forms R&B duo Chloe x Halle, has nabbed the starring role in Disney's live-action remake of The Little Mermaid, and will play the role of Ariel, the rebellious daughter of King Triton who longs to live on dry land.

Disney is really going to remake every single one of their animated films. When are we going to get The Emperor's New Groove (a completely underrated film)?

Another thing, when I first glanced at the headline I saw 'Halle Berry' and thought, "Isn't she a little old for the part?"

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Disney is really going to remake every single one of their animated films. When are we going to get The Emperor's New Groove (a completely underrated film)?

Another thing, when I first glanced at the headline I saw 'Halle Berry' and thought, "Isn't she a little old for the part?"
Yeah, I first read “Halle Berry” too.

But on first glance, after looking her up to listen to her voice, I think it was a good decision. Her look seems right, and she has a beautiful voice that fits with the story of the movie.

[I do wish Disney (and so many other studios) would stop all these remakes though, and come out with new stories and ideas…I’ve never been much of a remake/reboot/re-imagining fan.]

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I used to feel the same way about remakes, but if you think about it, this is made for children, this isn’t for the audience that saw it before, it’s for the newer generation to enjoy and when they get older, they can complain about all the new remakes of “classics.” :p

Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I used to feel the same way about remakes, but if you think about it, this is made for children, this isn’t for the audience that saw it before, it’s for the newer generation to enjoy and when they get older, they can complain about all the new remakes of “classics.” :p
That is a healthy and charitable way to view them. I’m just a grumpy old man.

Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,933.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
actual redheads don't show up well on film footage what with having no soul
While this might have been true in the age of silver based physical film, since the invention of electronic cameras the differences are negligible.

• Haha
Reactions: Arcangl86
Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Right now, Disney's got problems.

Galaxy's Edge, which they spent so much to get going, is a flop.

They've had several high-profile movies, like "Solo" and "A Wrinkle In Time" flop.

They're trying to launch their own streaming service, and so they're pulling shows and movies from other streaming sites... thus denying themselves the income while they get their own service going.

Merchandise sales for Star Wars and other properties have cratered, meaning that long-time license holders like Hasbro and Mattel are getting irritated.

Disney needs all the quick cash grabs it can get, and so we'll probably soon be seeing remakes of remakes. They could rake in a horde of cash if they monetized what they got when they bought Saban, but we'll still be seeing remakes upon remakes.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I have not watched many of the remake/reboot properties because I already enjoyed them in the past. When Disney bought Stars Wars from Lucasfilm, I didn’t think it was a good move because I didn’t think the public would be that into Star Wars... and I think that’s what we’re seeing.

With toy sales, I would argue that the toy market overall is in decline because more people are into digital/video games, so action figures and playsets are less appealing.

But even with their flops, they’ve been profitable. I would like to see these live-action remakes flop so we can get some new ideas/creations, but that never seems to happen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
And the trend of casting redhead characters as something else continues.

Lol I was going to say she's a dead ringer...

Then again, I don't know much about the storyline other than she's a mermaid who has crabs. Does her hair change in the original?

• Haha
Reactions: Moral Orel
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,770.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Right now, Disney's got problems.

Galaxy's Edge, which they spent so much to get going, is a flop.

They've had several high-profile movies, like "Solo" and "A Wrinkle In Time" flop.

They're trying to launch their own streaming service, and so they're pulling shows and movies from other streaming sites... thus denying themselves the income while they get their own service going.

Merchandise sales for Star Wars and other properties have cratered, meaning that long-time license holders like Hasbro and Mattel are getting irritated.

Disney needs all the quick cash grabs it can get, and so we'll probably soon be seeing remakes of remakes. They could rake in a horde of cash if they monetized what they got when they bought Saban, but we'll still be seeing remakes upon remakes.

Solo, which was the only one of the new ones to have a domestic gross under half a billion dollars still had a worldwide gross of $392m on a production budget of $214m. Not a blockbuster but hardly a flop.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Solo, which was the only one of the new ones to have a domestic gross under half a billion dollars still had a worldwide gross of $392m on a production budget of $214m. Not a blockbuster but hardly a flop.

You can't do raw numbers like that.

1. For the box office totals, you have to divide the take in half to account for what the theaters and film distributors take as their cut.

2. For the production budget, you have to double it. This is the general rule of thumb to account for the cost of marketing and promotion above and beyond production.

Put it together, and Solo lost between $50 to $100 million depending upon what numbers you go by and if you include home video sales.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
You can't do raw numbers like that.

1. For the box office totals, you have to divide the take in half to account for what the theaters and film distributors take as their cut.

2. For the production budget, you have to double it. This is the general rule of thumb to account for the cost of marketing and promotion above and beyond production.

Put it together, and Solo lost between $50 to $100 million depending upon what numbers you go by and if you include home video sales.
Why so much emphasis on Solo? The movie was a loss, but they still had more profit in 2018 than 2017. And when the profits are all counted for 2019, I'm sure it will be higher than 2018 (especially after Endgame and Spider-Man). I didn't like the look of Aladdin, but it still brought in almost $900 billion as the audience liked it.

I have a feeling the complaint here is related to sour grapes about The Last Jedi and is more related to the geek rage regarding that movie as opposed to any genuine analysis that spells doom and gloom for Disney. They produce remakes because they are profitable and because the audience wants to see them.

There seems to be a very ugly trend of adults screaming at the products produced by Disney as if the company is supposed to cater to them. These are adults complaining that a company is not making movies that appeal to them, but is targeted at children to teenagers. This is not new; we saw the same behavior directed at the Star Wars prequel trilogy, yet the current crop of fans act as though those films are sacred text. Don't worry about it, you can post your, "I told you so," when the next Star Wars movie doesn't cross some unspecified, undetermined line that will suggest doom and gloom for Disney.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,933.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Lol I was going to say she's a dead ringer...

Then again, I don't know much about the storyline other than she's a mermaid who has crabs. Does her hair change in the original?
You mean the Hans Christian Andersen story? I can't remember her hair color ever mentioned. In my childrens book, I think she was blonde.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,933.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Why so much emphasis on Solo? The movie was a loss, but they still had more profit in 2018 than 2017. And when the profits are all counted for 2019, I'm sure it will be higher than 2018 (especially after Endgame and Spider-Man). I didn't like the look of Aladdin, but it still brought in almost $900 billion as the audience liked it.

I have a feeling the complaint here is related to sour grapes about The Last Jedi and is more related to the geek rage regarding that movie as opposed to any genuine analysis that spells doom and gloom for Disney. They produce remakes because they are profitable and because the audience wants to see them.

There seems to be a very ugly trend of adults screaming at the products produced by Disney as if the company is supposed to cater to them. These are adults complaining that a company is not making movies that appeal to them, but is targeted at children to teenagers. This is not new; we saw the same behavior directed at the Star Wars prequel trilogy, yet the current crop of fans act as though those films are sacred text. Don't worry about it, you can post your, "I told you so," when the next Star Wars movie doesn't cross some unspecified, undetermined line that will suggest doom and gloom for Disney.
If they want to make movies for children, why are they banking so hard on nostalgia with the remakes? If they want to make something for a new generation, why don't they make something new?

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Proud Citizen of Moralton
Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
And the trend of casting redhead characters as something else continues.
So redheads and brunettes would have something to do on a Saturday night.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
If they want to make movies for children, why are they banking so hard on nostalgia with the remakes? If they want to make something for a new generation, why don't they make something new?

This.

Disney's trying to have it both ways, and the end result have been films that are, on the whole, so lackluster as to make one nostalgic for the prequels.

Actual weapons experts have torn Rey's fighting technique apart (she'd have been killed repeatedly if she had tried to fight like that in real life), any credible tactical analysis of The Last Jedi shows that Poe was right & Holdo was incompetent, the "fill the gap" movies are artificially constricted by their having to fit into established spaces, et cetra.

They're doing too much at once, none of it is being done well, and individual creatives in particular are failing miserably.

The franchise as a whole has largely suffered under Disney's watch, so much so that it can't even support a theme attraction.

Upvote 0