Discussion: Should the words 'gosh' and 'gee' be banned for TAW members?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think that when your friends are dead or are dying ..

And I lost my dad in 2004
And my dear college professor this June.
And now dear John R. is dying of a stroke and congestive heart failure...

It just really gets to you how people can justify using slang and language that they know has a HISTORY.

God is love and we treat Him so badly.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am not aware how much these word offend God -

I AM however somewhat aware how much my actions, words and thoughts offend God -

the words mentioned (Gosh, Gee and whatever else) are just words and mean nothing to me - I do not use them nor does anyone I know - you can vote and decide - but it looks like a cosmetic issue to me -

Also, if you start banning words - why not ban them all - that way we can make sure that we do not offend - while we're at it - let's ban thinking too....

Many years.

Set a guard, O Lord, round about my lips. ...

Upvote 0

Shubunkin

Antiochian Orthodox Christian
Jun 18, 2005
✟17,565.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am not aware how much these word offend God -

I AM however somewhat aware how much my actions, words and thoughts offend God -

the words mentioned (Gosh, Gee and whatever else) are just words and mean nothing to me - I do not use them nor does anyone I know - you can vote and decide - but it looks like a cosmetic issue to me -

Also, if you start banning words - why not ban them all - that way we can make sure that we do not offend - while we're at it - let's ban thinking too....

Many years.
Ban thinking? This is a little over the top for me :scratch: to accuse anyone of simply stating a fact, and a little known fact, obviously, and then be accused of being "thought police" and all of that. You aren't the only one here that was offended because, obviously, they love to use these words in questions all of the time, and seem quite defensive about it. I'm sorry you don't want to know the truth!

My mother taught me a long time ago it was swearing. It was just a way of hiding the swear words, so I never got into the practice of using them. If you never use them, you won't miss them. Believe me. I don't care how surprised I am, I won't use them because it hasn't become habit. If you want to use them, go ahead, and people that have been taught against it (usually us older folk) will hear it and know either the person doesn't care, or is ignorant of the facts.

This thread was started as a suggestion, and also to inform. The attacks on Aria, and anyone else here that understand and support the idea have been also attacked. Now just how offensive is that? You attack your own just because you want to defend some questionable words. What is more important, your words that you can thoughtlessly use, or to attack your friends? Y'all should be nicer about it. It is okay to disagree with this idea, but to falsely accuse is going beyond what was necessary.

Upvote 0

TrueHope

Senior Veteran
Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
✟10,944.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
On a personal note, I always taught my kids that many words were considered swears (that most did not....) now, I got the reverse effect in my home...every stinky word they can use in playing, fighting, rebelling, ALL get thrown at me....The Greek culture is a very heavy swearing culture....I wish they could read this thread to see how people think even of what "appears" to be harmless wording. Sigh.

Upvote 0

aaron816

Apr 16, 2004
Lee's Summit, Missouri USA
✟7,628.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have not read this entire thread, so hopefully I am not covering ground which has already been covered.

It was not until I started attending Christian school in 9th grade that I learned some considered "gosh" and "gee" to be bad words. I had never associated either term with the divine. I never understood how me saying "oh my gosh" was any different than the people who told me I shouldn't say that saying "oh my word".

I certainly hope that mundane matters such as this are not the focus in Orthodox culture. As an inquirer, I thought I was leaving such matters behind in the protestant Churches I grew up in. My desire is to focus on my personal relationship with Jesus Christ and to share that relationship with others through legitimate fellowship and sharing in the Liturgical experience together.

The judgementalism and focus on mundane matters I have seen in the past is something I hope to avoid as I move into a more ancient tradition!

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
On second thought, let's not go there...

It's a silly place.

*OrthodoxyUSA unsubscribes*

final words...

We should be contemplating on our own sins, and not those of others. No matter what they are.

Forgive me...

Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
who told me I shouldn't say that saying "oh my word".

But then one is simply substituting word for God, and if you think about that in context of John 1:1 ... :)

I certainly hope that mundane matters such as this are not the focus in Orthodox culture. As an inquirer, I thought I was leaving such matters behind in the protestant Churches I grew up in. My desire is to focus on my personal relationship with Jesus Christ and to share that relationship with others through legitimate fellowship and sharing in the Liturgical experience together.

They're not :)

It just that we are in agreement on ALL the important things so our CFAR detector false alarms on nitnoid things such as gee-willikers :)

Just wait till the next Calendar debate starts :eek:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cobweb

Cranky octogenarian at heart
Jan 12, 2006
Georgia, USA
✟20,938.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
:crosseo:

Please no... ;) There are several (3-4 main ones) topics, related to Orthodoxy, that every time I see them I groan inwardly because I have never seen anything positive develop from them when they have come up on Othodox forums.
No kidding

tollhouse.jpg

:p

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I find this quote quite appropriate to the discussion at hand:

"When I want to free myself
from a particular obnoxious person
at a cocktail party, all I have to do
is tell him I'm a grammarian . . .
When I like the person and
want to continue the conversation,
I say I'm a linguist.
-- Max Morenberg

I'll have to remember that one.
Since I wear the hat of a grammarian
whenever I tutor students in the Writing Lab
or that of a linguist when I teach pronunciation.

I guess I have been quite the grammarian here in TAW
because it is so easy to rationalize mistakes and offer excuses.

I will admit when I first came into the Orthodox Church,
I was a bit shocked at how sober my fellow parishioners were,
and how they looked so strangely at me because of my use of slang.
Oh yes, the children used slang, but they were in the public schools :o
and didn't know any better. However,
adults had no excuse and were supposed to be good role models. :doh:

Well, I must go and write an essay on self-esteem, and how
teaching children to use proper grammar and avoid slang
can hurt their poor little egos. ;)

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Guess what?

My essay on self-esteem bombed big time.

Even though the teacher cannot use slang, she will not discourage a student from using cuss words and reprobate words that are banned here at foru.ms because it will hurt their self-esteem.

Self-esteem rules.

Salvation doesn't.

:doh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
aha.... and you are wondering about what? this decision.... but we are the "adulterous and evil" generation... You just have to remember His words and it all makes sense.

Cussing is nothing nowadays. Do not forget other things that are nothing like : marriage, abortion, having children outside of marriage, premarital sex, extra merital sex, and the list goes on and on.....

Like cussing will not improve the respect the school system needs for the students.... but why bother? The teachers will have to discipline and that is so problematic since they are scared of their students...

God bless,
Philothei

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.