Discussion: Should the words 'gosh' and 'gee' be banned for TAW members?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Currently, there is no rule at foru.ms or TAW that forbids the use of gosh, gee, gee whiz, golly gee, or other words that are substitutes for the names of God and Jesus. These words do take the Lord's name in vain and are a violation of the Ten Commandments.

Many people are simply not aware of how much these words do offend God and their fellow Christians, but in every Orthodox Church where I have visited, these words are highly discouraged.

This is a thread for the discussion and formulation of a TAW rule that forbids the use of these words.

Etymology of the word in question
A definition
Another definition

If there is interest in pursuing this matter, and a rule is forumulated, then a poll will be established.

Please refer to this thread for more information:

http://foru.ms/t5972754

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
We are NOT asking for these words to be added to the foru.ms Profanity Word filter list.

We ARE asking that the members of TAW refrain from using these words to set a good example and to avoid scandal.

Furthermore, this is NOT done to punish and ban members or visitors. It would not be right to ban a member who has a bad habit of using these words. In other words, I would like a rule formulated so that a person has a chance to change, but is not banned or given a FSB for using these words. The only remedy asked is for an edit or postal deletion.

Upvote 0

Silentchapel

Saviour of the World, have mercy on us!
Jul 26, 2006
Belgrade, Serbia
✟9,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hmm... I never really considered them offensive - in fact, I always saw them a substitutes so people wouldn't use actual words (God and Jesus) in vain. In Serbian we have no minced oaths, so I guess I tend to see those as a Good Thing.
But if (some/all) TAW members do think it is offensive, then I'll vote for it, considering I do not hail from Englishland

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Another member brought up the word drat.

http://bartelby.com/61/17/D0381700.html

The words dang, darn and heck are substitute words for damn and hell. These words are not being considered here even though they are slang words that are likewise discouraged. However, they do not involve taking the name of the Lord in vain.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Just one example: "gosh"

According to the Online Etymology Dictionary

gosh
1757, altered pronunciation of God. Probably from by gosse (mid-16c.).

According to the American Heritage Dictionary:

1) gosh.
...Used to express mild surprise or delight. Alteration of God....

According to Merriam-Webster

gosh
One entry found for gosh.
Main Entry: gosh
Pronunciation: 'gäsh, 'gosh
Function: interjection
Etymology: euphemism for God
-- used as a mild oath or to express surprise

As most commonly used, this is nothing more than a socially accepted form of blasphemy.

I grew up using this word, and I always allowed my children to use this word. But with knowledge comes responsibility. Things will change at my home, and I hope people will agree with Aria and me, that these words should at least be voluntarily avoided, and voluntarily banned by TAW members for TAW members.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟432,591.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Russians are in big trouble if we put this on them. All of even the most devout Orthodox folk I know say "Gospodi" and "Bozhe moi", open addresses to God - the vocative case of "Lord" and "my God" respectively.

While I agree that our yes should be yes and we need to reduce and ideally eliminate idle talk, I don't think those terms necessarily represent taking God's name in vain in the sense meant in the Biblical injunction. We should, of course, avoid consciously offending others.

I personally won't let it ruffle my feathers. I think there are much bigger fish to fry.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Russians are in big trouble if we put this on them. All of even the most devout Orthodox folk I know say "Gospodi" and "Bozhe moi", open addresses to God - the vocative case of "Lord" and "my God" respectively.

While I agree that our yes should be yes and we need to reduce and ideally eliminate idle talk, I don't think those terms necessarily represent taking God's name in vain in the sense meant in the Biblical injunction. We should, of course, avoid consciously offending others. ....

Dear Rus:

A lot of Orthodox people here in the USA also use "Lord have mercy." And I have used it here at TAW, not as an expletive but only as a prayer, but would you believe that my use of it has been repeatedly deleted or edited out by TAW mods -- and not for blasphemy, but get this, for being off topic!

So, prayer in the midst of heated debates IS NOT allowed in TAW, yet cussing in frustration and using slang to take the Lord's name in vain during those same heated debates IS allowed.

Do you see the inconsistencies here?

So censoring has already happened here at CF, but in the old CF, I could not mention moderator actions inside or outside of the thread where the moderator action occurred. Now I can (until the rules are revised again). May we never return to all of the very draconian old CF rules.

[rule1.13]

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
oh geez. I've been working on using "gosh" instead of the Lord's name when saying "Oh my gosh!" I personally don't see a problem with those words, and I try to use words such as crumb instead of "crap" at home around my children, besides it's a less cruddy word. lol I also use "dang" and "daggumit." Hmmm.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Just one example: "gosh"

According to the Online Etymology Dictionary

gosh
1757, altered pronunciation of God. Probably from by gosse (mid-16c.).

According to the American Heritage Dictionary:

1) gosh.
...Used to express mild surprise or delight. Alteration of God....

According to Merriam-Webster

gosh
One entry found for gosh.
Main Entry: gosh
Pronunciation: 'gäsh, 'gosh
Function: interjection
Etymology: euphemism for God
-- used as a mild oath or to express surprise

As most commonly used, this is nothing more than a socially accepted form of blasphemy.

I grew up using this word, and I always allowed my children to use this word. But with knowledge comes responsibility. Things will change at my home, and I hope people will agree with Aria and me, that these words should at least be voluntarily avoided, and voluntarily banned by TAW members for TAW members.
Geez, I grew up throughout grade school saying "gosh." :o

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.