St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This topic is about discernment, and that is what I am providing... FROM GOD'S WORD by The Holy Spirit.

Those who keep trying to suggest that 1 Corinthians 14 is about the cloven tongue of Pentecost mislead brethren away... from what is actually written. PROPHESYING per Apostle Paul in that Chapter means TEACHING, not speaking an unknown tongue.

1 Cor 14:1-6
14 Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.

The idea of Paul's to "prophesy" means to TEACH with understanding.

2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

Paul shows that speaking a tongue that no one understands is NOT the idea of prophesying.

3 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.

4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

5 I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

6 Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?

KJV

In all these cases of 'tongue' or 'tongues' is this chapter, in the Greek, it is the Greek word 'glossa' which means language. The word "unknown" in the KJV is an added word!

Prophesying is about teaching with understanding in known languages that people can understand. It's that simple, and that is the real subject Paul is teaching in 1 Corinthians 14.
When was the last time you prophesied or prayed in tongues?

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,283.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Wonder if they ever consider Scripture says divers kinds of tongues:
_“
To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:” I Cor 12:10

_“And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues. I Cor 12:28

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do you even know what the Joel 2 prophecy that Peter quoted in Acts 2 on Pentecost is about, and what 'timing' it is for??
I'm going to take that as a no. God gave us instructions concerning spiritual gifts. So we could flow in them appropriately and not be in ignorance concerning them. You are talking from a place of zero experience. That is a form of ignorance. All you have is opinion and no substance. That is further evidenced by the fact that you continue to post this uninformed opinion in a forum that doesn't allow it.

And, btw, I know Joel 2 and Acts 2 intimately well. I've preached on them multiple times. I've prophesied through them multiple times. Something we both know you have not done.

Upvote 0

Davy

Site Supporter
Nov 25, 2017
USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Wonder if they ever consider Scripture says divers kinds of tongues:
_“
To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:” I Cor 12:10

_“And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues. I Cor 12:28

The idea of 'diversity' is in both examples in the Greek. So Paul is pointing to various known languages of the world that people speak, and not the cloven tongue of Pentecost.

My argument on this matter isn't about not believing in the existence in the 'cloven' tongue of Pentecost. I very much believe that tongue manifested on Pentecost and is real, and even likely the one tongue all peoples originally spoke prior to the tower of Babel event. In the Greek NT manuscripts, it is about Greek glossa which means language, and dialektos which means dialects. A language dialect is a very specific speech based on where one grew up involving the slang of that area. That's how accurate the multitude heard the Apostles speak, and it's written also in Acts 2 the people heard them speak about the wonderful works of God, so it means they understood with known words in their own languages.

But those speaking a gibberish and claiming that's the cloven tongue of Pentecost have no reason to think that if it does not manifest according to Acts 2.

So in a Church where some speaks a gibberish that only one stands up and says he can interpret, and it's not about interpreting a language of the world, then there's no telling what the source really is. It can most definitely be another spirit speaking, especially if it goes against Bible Scripture.

Upvote 0

Davy

Site Supporter
Nov 25, 2017
USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm going to take that as a no. God gave us instructions concerning spiritual gifts. So we could flow in them appropriately and not be in ignorance concerning them. You are talking from a place of zero experience. That is a form of ignorance. All you have is opinion and no substance. That is further evidenced by the fact that you continue to post this uninformed opinion in a forum that doesn't allow it.

And, btw, I know Joel 2 and Acts 2 intimately well. I've preached on them multiple times. I've prophesied through them multiple times. Something we both know you have not done.

You didn't answer my question, so I take that as a no, you don't know what 'timing' it is for.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You didn't answer my question, so I take that as a no, you don't know what 'timing' it is for.
You didn't answer mine, so I thought it was only fair. I do know what timing is for... question is do you know the difference between Kronos timing and Kairos timing? Giving the previous ignorance you've put on display, I'm going to assume no. But that's ok, you can google it now and get up to speed.

Upvote 0

Davy

Site Supporter
Nov 25, 2017
USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You didn't answer mine, so I thought it was only fair. I do know what timing is for... question is do you know the difference between Kronos timing and Kairos timing? Giving the previous ignorance you've put on display, I'm going to assume no. But that's ok, you can google it now and get up to speed.

No, you don't really know what timing the end of Joel 2 which Peter quoted is for, especially if you think you're not going to be here for the coming "great tribulation".

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No, you don't really know what timing the end of Joel 2 which Peter quoted is for, especially if you think you're not going to be here for the coming "great tribulation".
Right ok, I guess you know better than me what I know. Thanks for clearing that up.

Seriously this is hilarious. "especially if you think you're not going to be here for the coming 'great tribulation'". I've said nothing at all about what I think on that matter, yet you've got it all figured out what I think? You are literally all over the place. But, by all means though keep demonstrating exactly why no one should listen to you.

Upvote 0

Davy

Site Supporter
Nov 25, 2017
USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Right ok, I guess you know better than me what I know. Thanks for clearing that up.

Seriously this is hilarious. "especially if you think you're not going to be here for the coming 'great tribulation'". I've said nothing at all about what I think on that matter, yet you've got it all figured out what I think? You are literally all over the place. But, by all means though keep demonstrating exactly why no one should listen to you.

It's understandable that you 'wish'... no one would listen to me, but manifesting God's Word as written will always... appeal to His chosen people that He has given it to. For the hirelings, they're just playin' at it and really don't understand, but hope that others will help them confirm what they teach.

And it's very true, that many who claim the gibberish speech they have is evidence of The Holy Spirit, also hold to a Pre-trib Rapture theory, which believes Christ is going to rapture His Church out prior to the "great tribulation" He forewarned of.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's understandable that you 'wish'... no one would listen to me, but manifesting God's Word as written will always... appeal to His chosen people that He has given it to. For the hirelings, they're just playin' at it and really don't understand, but hope that others will help them confirm what they teach.

And it's very true, that many who claim the gibberish speech they have is evidence of The Holy Spirit, also hold to a Pre-trib Rapture theory, which believes Christ is going to rapture His Church out prior to the "great tribulation" He forewarned of.

And many people who like cake also worship the devil. Therefore cake cake is of the devil. BOOM! I think I've nailed your logic.

Upvote 0

Grace ambassador

Chris Endrizzi
Jul 16, 2016
Midwest USA
✟9,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Be advised that posters on this forum is only for those who believe in God's spiritual gifts and they're for today according to forum rules.

Plus more importantly "Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues." I COR 14:39

Your study needed to start off with that verse.

Sorry, I deeply apologize for the violation of the rules - Is there any way to "get my post Moved Over" to the Controversial Forum?

Upvote 0

Davy

Site Supporter
Nov 25, 2017
USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And many people who like cake also worship the devil. Therefore cake cake is of the devil. BOOM! I think I've nailed your logic.

Like I showed per Acts 2, EVERYONE present heard the Apostles speak their own dialects of their language of birth.

Acts 2:7-8
7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?
8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

KJV

Anyone saying that was gibberish speech is telling a lie.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Like I showed per Acts 2, EVERYONE present heard the Apostles speak their own dialects of their language of birth.

Acts 2:7-8
7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?
8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

KJV

Anyone saying that was gibberish speech is telling a lie.
You have been told over and over that this is a violation of this forums statement of purpose, yet you persist. Why should we listen to someone who is in open rebellion and shows no self control? You have now been reported. Please just stop. If you want to persist create your own thread in an appropriate forum.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Interesting how moving a thread to another forum basically meant the end of debate and discussion.
iirc, before it was still in a forum with the same sop, it was just moved to a more appropriate sub forum. And the forum doesn't end the discussion, it directs the type of discussion. The, "gibberish tongues" discussion has been done ad nauseum, the hope is here we can have discussions without having to address that particular issue every 5 posts or less. But look, it has totally hijacked the original discussion once again, like it always does.

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟177,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
When person A claiming to have the gift of interpretation of tongues interprets person B's tongue speaking, how can we go about discerning whether the interpretation is genuine or made-up? How can we know whether B's tongue speaking is genuine and A's interpretation is also genuine?

Do they actually know the language? That would be my solution. Otherwise, the gift of tongues is for the individuals benefit and not the congregations.

Upvote 0