Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When person A claiming to have the gift of interpretation of tongues interprets person B's tongue speaking, how can we go about discerning whether the interpretation is genuine or made-up? How can we know whether B's tongue speaking is genuine and A's interpretation is also genuine?

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
When person A claiming to have the gift of interpretation of tongues interprets person B's tongue speaking, how can we go about discerning whether the interpretation is genuine or made-up? How can we know whether B's tongue speaking is genuine and A's interpretation is also genuine?
You can't.

The lesson here is to go about the business God has given you to do instead of getting distracted by your other fellow servants.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You can. 1 Cor 14:32, the spirit of prophets are subject to prophets. Season prophetic voices are tasked and trusted with discerning prophetic words, including tongues that have been interpreted.

Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You can't.

The lesson here is to go about the business God has given you to do instead of getting distracted by your other fellow servants.

But what if the interpretation is genuine (comes from God)? Wouldn't it be inappropriate to dismiss a genuine interpretation?

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟728,236.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
But what if the interpretation is genuine (comes from God)? Wouldn't it be inappropriate to dismiss a genuine interpretation?

It wouldn't be difficult to check. Figure out what language is being spoken, and see if the interpretation accurately conveys what was being said in the original language.

If that isn't possible, then it probably wasn't genuine glossolalia to being with.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

We have the word of God to guide us, and time, to know what is true and what is false. It is best to be aware of itchy ears. When people say what everyone wants to hear then it is best to take it with a grain of salt. (Like all those Trump will win the 2020 election prediction we have had to hear.) Some people like to get attention, and use false demonstration of God's gifts, knowingly or unknowingly, to get it.

Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It wouldn't be difficult to check. Figure out what language is being spoken, and see if the interpretation accurately conveys what was being said in the original language.

If that isn't possible, then it probably wasn't genuine glossolalia to being with.

-CryptoLutheran

What if it is an ancient language, such as Sanskrit, or an undocumented dialect spoken by a lost jungle tribe?

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

-CryptoLutheran
You are referring to a different kind of tongues. Generally tongues for interpretation is not in a natural language.

• Agree
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟728,236.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
You are referring to a different kind of tongues. Generally tongues for interpretation is not in a natural language.

I've never seen a rational or biblical justification to suggest that tongues are anything other than actual language.

The idea of a "private prayer language" is common in Charismatic and Pentecostal circles, but is foreign to Scripture.

I say this as someone who used to do the whole tongues thing back in my Pentecostal days (and for some years after); but I simply could not justify it with a meaningful and serious exposition and study of Scripture.

That said, because it was a learned behavior, it would be very easy for me to convincingly fake it (I'm not saying I used to fake it, I believed it was very genuine at the time).

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: SashaMaria
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gregory Thompson

Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I was saying, give the benefit of the doubt.

Even if the person is deluded that they have the gift of tongues and someone is mistaken about the interpretation, because there is none - if the message is edifying to the body of Christ, then it can be used.

There are tongues without interpretation, so in these cases, the person is instructed to lower their voice, and continue praying to God - also to pray so they can interpret what is being said so the whole church can be edified.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
In terms of a tongue without interpretation:

1 Corinthians 14

2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
3 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.
4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟728,236.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
What if it is an ancient language, such as Sanskrit, or an undocumented dialect spoken by a lost jungle tribe?

Then do as St. John says and "test the spirits". Is what was said in line with established and revealed truth? Then be edified by it. That may or may not do anything to guarantee its genuineness--but as long as there has been no introduction of error, and if it edifies the body, then let it be edifying.

If it promotes heresy or brings harm to the body, then dismiss it.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: TruthSeek3r
Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've never seen a rational or biblical justification to suggest that tongues are anything other than actual language.

The idea of a "private prayer language" is common in Charismatic and Pentecostal circles, but is foreign to Scripture.

I say this as someone who used to do the whole tongues thing back in my Pentecostal days (and for some years after); but I simply could not justify it with a meaningful and serious exposition and study of Scripture.

That said, because it was a learned behavior, it would be very easy for me to convincingly fake it (I'm not saying I used to fake it, I believed it was very genuine at the time).

-CryptoLutheran
If that is true you shouldn't be here commenting. It IS absolutely scriptural and this is supposed to be a place where we don't have to explain that ad nauseum.

• Agree
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟728,236.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
If that is true you shouldn't be here commenting. It IS absolutely scriptural and this is supposed to be a place where we don't have to explain that ad nauseum.

I wasn't aware that this board required subscribing to a particular view of glossolalia. If that's the case I don't mind bowing out.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

1 Cor 14:14 (NIV)
For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
People, the gifts were given for us to use, to flow in (as He wills). We are told to earnestly desire them. We are told the motivation behind them (love). We are told to use them decently and in order, but we are absolutely encouraged to flow in them.

If they are meant to be used, why then would we ever listen to someone who acts as though they are an expert but doesn't ever use them?

Would you take marriage advice, better yet go to a marriage seminar, from someone who has never been married? Could such a person speak some truth? Sure. But, can they actually know how it works? Can they relate? No, not really.

There are many activities the Bible teaches us AND encourages us to walk in. Shouldn't we be listening to those who, you know, actually walk in them rather than self proclaimed experts with zero actual experience?

Reactions: TruthSeek3r
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
What if the interpreted message includes words of knowledge that are incredibly spot-on and specific? Can we use that as evidence that the interpretation comes from God (and thus that the original message in tongues also comes from God)?

Not necessarily.

The person could have another gift which combines the thoughts in a room and then says what everyone is thinking.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What if the interpreted message includes words of knowledge that are incredibly spot-on and specific? Can we view that as evidence that the interpretation comes from God (and thus that the original message in tongues also comes from God)?
Yes, that is the word confirming itself. But it should still be spiritually evaluated because words with the wrong motivation behind them can still be factually accurate.

Upvote 0