Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I agree with Gerbil that sometimes churches are just too loud for people on the autism spectrum. Whether its an oversized organ for the church, or loud, amplified instruments, the music can easily be the most irritating part of worship.

In the past I've had significant problems with sensory processing also. I always preferred a capella singing and chanting, something many churches, traditional and contemporary, don't often do. That could be an option to consider to accommodate people with sensory difficulties.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
just want to add this in case I missed it

Use the word "people" first, when describing disability. The point is that we want to acknowledge ones humanity first and foremost, and not describe a human being as BEING the disability itself.

So, say this "a person with hearing loss" instead of "that deaf person"

Upvote 0

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So I've been co-opted to a diocesan committee which is trying to work to help churches become more inclusive of people with disabilities.

I'm finding that often, raising the issue is met with one of two responses:

- Apathy. This isn't a problem.
- But disability inclusion will cost us a fortune so we shouldn't have to do it.

I'm wondering if I've just got a really weird sample, or whether this is a bigger problem in the church.

Does your church talk about disability inclusion? Does it do it well? If someone turned up at your church who was

- in a wheelchair
- deaf
- intellectually disabled
- with significant mental illness,

would your church know how to welcome that person, how to include them fully into the life of the church, and how to involve them in service as appropriate to their gifts and talents?

I'll be interested to hear others' experiences!

Big problem. My wife is legally blind; my best friend is totally blind. My position as ministry director for a charity takes me into a different church every week, and I find precious few that have a clue as to trying to assimilate the disabled. I've noticed that intellectual disabilities seem to be more likely to be welcomed, but physical disabilities, not so much.

Upvote 0

skahler

Aug 6, 2010
✟575.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My instinct is that if they struggle with any of the above, this is not a church you'd want to be a part of in the first place. Disability inclusion is a function of human nature. We've all been instructed in the proper ways of elementary school and know how to hold hands with our fellow wonderful friends. And so if we find ourselves deviating from this it should be obvious that the mission has been compromised. And so move forward.

So I've been co-opted to a diocesan committee which is trying to work to help churches become more inclusive of people with disabilities.

- But disability inclusion will cost us a fortune so we shouldn't have to do it.

I'm wondering if I've just got a really weird sample, or whether this is a bigger problem in the church.

Does your church talk about disability inclusion? Does it do it well? If someone turned up at your church who was

- in a wheelchair
- deaf

would your church know how to welcome that person, how to include them fully into the life of the church, and how to involve them in service as appropriate to their gifts and talents?

Reactions: MarleneJ
Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2018
United States
✟17,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Good morning.

I will not go into detail about the specific nature of my disabilities, but suffice it to say that they are the primary reason I do not attend a church. I find that while congregation members and church elders almost always mean well, often their intentions are misguided or their plans poorly executed. This results in logistical barriers to accessing the services. With that in mind, I encourage church elders who strive to be inclusive to consult directly with congregation members about any necessary accommodations. Two individuals with an identical disability may each require different accommodations.

I would like to address the deeper, theological level of inclusion. Most church members misunderstand the theology underlying disabilities, which causes some members to question our faith. While it is true that Jesus' healing power is unlimited, it is not necessarily true that a disability, be it physical or mental, is evidence of straying from Him. Jesus has certain plans in store for each of us. In some cases, His plan is for the individual to be healed; in other cases, His plan is for the individual to experience the body, mind, and Earthly life through a given disability. In yet other cases, His plan is for the person to experience the disability for some time, and to later be healed.

When it has been His vision, He has either healed my condition effortlessly or conveyed to me through inner guidance the physical actions needed to cure the condition. When the symptoms have been a result of my straying from His vision, He has conveyed to me in clear terms exactly which behaviors need to change, and why, to prevent the symptoms from resurfacing. When it has not been His vision, no matter how fervent the prayers of His followers, healing has not taken place. His will cannot be overridden.

I have come to understand that it is His vision that I continue to live with certain health conditions. He has asked that I use the experience of these conditions to provide a different perspective of our Earthly world. Illness and affliction create a contrast that allows us to truly appreciate how intricately designed and miraculous our bodies and minds are.

Please bear in mind that Jesus does not have a uniform plan for all of us on Earth. In some cases, a follower is on the path, and yet disability is part of God's vision for that individual. In other cases, a disability is a symptom of straying. Only God can determine whether disability is part of the path or a result of straying. In either case, it is an incredibly private and deeply spiritual matter. It is not the role of congregation members or church elders to presume the underlying spiritual cause of a person's disabilities. It is through welcoming all to the congregation that all are encouraged to stay on the path Jesus set forth for them.

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟758,158.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It's one thing to have a policy or code of practice - it's another thing to try to cope with all the disabilities and mental illnesses that exist. Someone with schizophrenia can be a challenge to other people if they're not aware of the problem. Simillarly with Aspergus Syndrome as someone else stated. Incidentally I'm in a Toastmasters Club, and we've got one member who has a higher level autism disorder, who wants to become a spokesperson for that disability group, and she's well on the way to doing so.

Sometimes I think it helps if the affected person addresses the Congregation and tells them what their problems is, with teh priest's or pastor's permission of course. and what people can do to help, even if it's just on a social level.

My experience of churches is that they'll do what they can, but their means are offen limited. Making toilets wheelchair accessible can be pretty expensive for the average church, apart from ramps to the car park, widening the doors etc.

To cater for deaf people, the church needs someone who is proficient in sign language, or prepared to become proficient in sign language.

For every single disability, there would be a slightly different need, and individuals or group of people would need to be prepared to handle that need.

So I think most churches could make some effort to help. And while I haven't struck too many of the "if your'e not healed, you lack faith" crowd, I haven't got much time for them. They're arrogant in my opinion.

Upvote 0

MarleneJ

Aug 16, 2016
British Columbia
✟18,935.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I attend the most wheelchair accessible church in town! We have no steps anywhere, a large bathroom for disabled people, large hallways, and chairs instead of pews. One couple fostered a daughter with spina bifida, and she is in a wheelchair, now in her 20's, and she has invited all her friends in wheelchairs. So, a van pulls up every Sunday morning, and the wheelchairs come out. Plus, other disabled people, in wheelchairs have found out about how easy our church is for people in wheelchairs and they come too. When I was so disabled I could not walk, I also used my wheelchair, and may have to again, one day.

The last church I was in, they had a whole ministry to the deaf community, including a paid for professional ASL interpreter for both church and Bible studies.

Yet, when I proposed a support group for people with mood disorders, it was met with stoney silence. I pushed and pushed, and they agreed to a "depression" support group. Somehow, that became paying a local celebrity big bucks for his depression story, and 6 week courses with a nurse trained to deal with mental illness. I was highly disappointed. There had been a mood disorder support group in the city, when I first moved there, and it collapsed. This church only wanted its members in the group, even though it was actively involved in outreach in so many other areas in the community.

Anyway, 3 years later, they finally brought the guy in to speak, and the 400 seat sanctuary was filled, along with half the gymnasium, with a video feed. And not enough groups for people, even though they had to pay.

No, it never went to being a weekly support group, despite the enormous need in the community.

I have discussed a mood support group in my present church, which has made such an effort to be inclusive of the physically disabled. I guess I need to follow up on that?

I think there is a huge need for ALL churches to be inclusive. Because everyone, while maybe not disabled, has some kind of issue. And with disabled people, not providing for their needs, may mean they do not go to church at all.

My prayer is that the stigma of mental illness will grow less, and the contributions of the mentally ill will be acknowledged, and people will begin to be more open about their struggles.

A few years ago, my pastor was doing the psalms and asked me which one I wanted to preach on. I chose Psalm 42 &43, which in a modern version has the lines "Why am I so depressed?" A lot of people really related to what I said, either for themselves, or someone they knew and loved. I did talk a lot about the prevalence of mental illness in Canada, but also what the Bible says.

But, the amazing thing that God did, was that our pastor had been on extended medical leave, and no one except the elders knew why. The head of the elders got up, and she was in tears and happy. She said the pastor had finally given permission to explain why he was no longer in church. He was suffering from severe depression. It was so much more than a coincidence! It paved the way for more openness and acceptance.

In the end, he resigned as pastor, but he visited the church, and people loved him back to membership and involvement. I just wish we knew every person walking through that door with mental illness, and we could love them just as much!

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
There are many BIBLICAL Ways, completely in line with and harmony with all Scripture, concerning moods etc, severe and mild, long term and acute.

Most BIBLICAL Ways are not acknowledged (maybe usually not even permitted)
in most organizations I've ever heard of (including most church denoms).

As long as that trend continues, in and out of 'church' buildings, people
will possibly find help "outside" the gates.

I think there's a Scripture that says we are to follow Jesus "outside",
and
also to associate daily with the outcasts and the downtrodden and the poor;
as well as how to personally and directly help them. (if we don't kow what to do, we know who does know what to do - His Name is ALL THRU THE BIBLE ! Right?! )

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I've never heard of a church having a no-music option either. I wonder if this is a regional trend?
'Regional' ?
Sort of -
in a certain large communist country, the home assembly meetings of ekklesia (believers in Jesus, following Him), have no music.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Ehhh...not sure if/how I should respond to this, as things look pretty different from the 'Orient', as usual...

But speaking from experience, concessions are made. The worship itself is very physical (with full prostrations, bows, +/- 3 hours of standing per average liturgy, etc.), which can be a challenge, but so long as the relevant people are notified of what you need, I have never had a problem. Some people of my congregation would castigate me sometimes if I did full prostration before the body and blood, as that is what we do, saying instead that I could much more easily place my head down in the pew as some of the older people for whom prostrations are too difficult do, but I am the type of person where if I can do something, I want to do it. Still, over time abouna learned to stop asking me "Will you do the Pauline reading?" (I was the only native English speaker in the congregation, so it was not unusual to be asked), and instead ask "Can you do the Pauline reading today?", which was nice of him. Some of these readings can be quite long, and standing for a long period is incredibly painful for me, so sometimes I would have to say no, sadly, and he would say okay and ask someone else. Also little things like bringing the Bible and cross to me to be venerated (standard Orthodox practice is to kiss them both), instead of having to stand in the line to do so, and big things like arranging for me to sit in the front pew or row of chairs (normally reserved for deacons) so that he could bring communion to me is a very, very big help. After three hours during which in some parts standing is unavoidable (for the reading of the Gospel, for the blessing of the cross during the censing of the church, for the kiss of peace, etc.), it was really a help to me.

Although this is just in response to my own circumstances, which I realize are my own and not necessarily indicative of every type of problem a church may have to deal with, I do not see why these kinds of things could not be done in any church. Everyone who wants to worship God in spirit and truth must be allowed to do so. If they are not, how can we call ourselves servants?

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This article on how we speak well of mental illness in worship is really helpful:

Speaking Well in Worship about Mental Illnesses | Reformed Worship

This is a great article, thank you paidiski.

At mass, one of the various priests from our diocese, almost always includes in his homily, some sort of mental illness, such as severe anxiety, panic and depression as well as despair.

He may have used the terms schizophrenia or biploar, in previous homily's, but I've not been there long enough to know.

Recently, he incorporated into the homily, deep breathing and meditation as we sat in our pews, and he asked us to focus on relaxation, as he said prayers and read scripture for us to be calm and to be healed, and to concentrate on the love of god.

It floored me.

Right there in a mass, we were doing a relaxation exercise, while were were being lovingly told to be not afraid.

He openly uses himself as the example of fear and stress as well as depression...

I am in a sort of happy shock....as it seems we are being given real, christian therapy, but at mass!

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ChristianGirl_96

Jan 13, 2019
Epsom
✟131,109.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Inclusion is important. My son and daughter are physically disabled. We started going back to Church when they were babies of six months old. My local church is inclusive. In terms of disabilities my son and daughter have visible disabilities aka physical disabilities. DS has some bowel and bladder issues caused by his birth defect and DD’s disability is dwarfism. She tends to suffer from horrible ear infections. Tomorrow when we are in church I will ask.

Upvote 0

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
This is unfortunately an issue with no easy answer. To name one example children are generally accepted by most as an ordinary part of the church environment. However, they can often be a source of distractions, particular in the form of noise. That can be extremely hard on people who have sensory issues. I know of several people like that who often have trouble even attending church because the noises children make during the services(such as crying) are actually physically painful for them.

How do you resolve that without banning parents with young children from attending? As I said, there's often no easy answer.

• Agree
Upvote 0

polkaman

Jul 14, 2013
✟57,563.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Many church's locally provide nursery
That will take care of small children.
As for babies, that is an issue of common
Sense (which some seem to lack).
If the crying is distracting, the parents
Should know enough to take child/infant
Into foyer and get it calmed down

• Agree
Upvote 0

AnneY

Aug 19, 2015
Midwest
✟123,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Some churches also have cry rooms in addition to a nursery. This is for parents of infants or small children who prefer to keep their children with them but also want to listen to the sermon. A cry room is usually a small room in the back with a large glass window, usually soundproof, and allows for the noise and movement of children without distracting others. Some nurseries also have the service piped into the nursery so everyone can hear it, while at the same time taking care of infants and toddlers.

Upvote 0

God saves

Feb 11, 2019
China
✟44,440.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

- in a wheelchair
- deaf

I believe that people with additional needs are people first (and if they are a Christian, their identity is in Christ) and should be treated as such. I do think many people with disabilities may already be able to access church worship service and activities without needing significant accommodations. However, I feel that that sometimes it is true that disabilities may pose a barrier to accessing church worship services and/or church activities.

Not all disabilities are obvious, so unless the church leadership knows everyone quite well I don't understand how they would know "this isn't a problem", and even if it isn't, it may be later and I really do think that churches should make every attempt to welcome all people including people with disabilities. I think access to church worship services and church activities may be especially challenging for people with deaf-blindness, significant intellectual disabilities, people with severe comprehension difficulties (e.g. aphasia), perhaps some people with severe hearing impairment (especially those who cannot lipread) and some people with severe visual impairment, and people with severe expressive language difficulties (e.g. someone with normal intelligence who has severe cerebral palsy). For intellectual disabilities, I think how challenging access is depends on the severity of the intellectual disability since many people with mild intellectual disabilities are able to understand and use language. If there are children and youth ministries in the church, I think access should also be considered in these areas. I also don't think there is any harm with bringing a person with a severe intellectual disability to a local church's worship service regularly even if they do not seem to understand the sermon.

There may be ways to do disability inclusion other than having it cost a fortune e.g. if anyone attending the church knows sign language, is able to interpret for a deaf person and is willing to do so for another person in the church, or if there is a screen during the worship service perhaps just by putting more key points of the sermon on the screen.

The reason I think church services should be accessible to all people is so that everyone can focus on God during the worship services and church activities, and also if church services are a tool for sharing the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ to lost souls (though I believe ultimately only God can save a person), then it only makes sense for an effort for church services to be accessible to all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0