Apr 4, 2016
Africa
Visit site
✟30,738.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
No I do not. I do remember, however, suggesting that if you had questions about genetics we have a working geneticist here who would me more than willing to answer any questions you have.

Riiiiight... Here's what you posted a short while ago...

- Why humans and chimpazees share 203,000 endogenous retroviral insertions?
- Why all primates including humans share a broken GULO gene?
- Why cetaceans have a non-functioning gene pathway for hind limb development and actually develop hind limb buds in utero which are absorbed back into the body as the fetus develops?
- Why all eutherians and marsupials have pseudogenes for egg yolk sac development when none of us birth our offspring as eggs?

This doesn't deal with genetics? Lol, c'mon. Don't try to pretend you didn't, for a moment, fall back into believing you could score a point by overwhelming me with jargon. Look at all that stuff up there!

Upvote 0

Endtime Survivors

prophecy link in my profile!
Apr 4, 2016
Africa
Visit site
✟30,738.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
See, the thing is Creationists always want to argue semantics and hypotheticals, but when presented with actual evidence, they tend to avoid it entirely, respond with a non sequitur or go on a Gish Gallop.

I understand that you have specific examples of scientific, biological occurrences which lead you to a belief in the theory of evolution. I also suggested earlier that I recognized asking you to put those examples into simpler terms (so that people who don't specialize in such fields could understand them) would put you at a disadvantage, because it is within the language of how you define those examples where you find your most convincing evidence (i.e. Asking why humans and chimpanzee dna could be so similar doesn't quite have the same impact as presenting a percentage).

I am not unsympathetic to your experience or your ability to interpret complex information. Your understanding of how genetics works is clearly superior to mine, and if this was a topic about how genetics works or example which support evolution, then I would not argue with you in the same way.

But, my issue is not how genetics work. Nor the validity of evolution (well, not directly). My issue from the beginning has been an attempt to clarify the meaning behind the words we use and to be consistent about that meaning. The fundamental purpose of evolution is to explain change without any need for intelligence behind it. It is an alternative to creationism. That's what natural selection is meant to be, right? Not a supernatural selection, but a natural one, based on environment, laws of nature, and mutation acting as natural selectors, alone.

Some people will say that evolution does have room for intelligence behind it, in the sense that an intelligent being could have created and set in motion this mechanism and then stood back to watch what happens. I'm not against this idea as an interesting concept to explore, but again this would be creation (not evolution), just as the machine which always rolls random numbers on a set of dice would be created to do so regardless of any lack of maintenance along the way.

Now, I'd like to relate this to a real life example to show why I think it's important in practical terms. I'm sorry to reference you so much, speedwell, but your comments basically reflect the essence of my point. If you feel uncomfortable just let me know and I'll try to find a way to make my comments more general. In the meantime, I really appreciate your patience.

Put it all together; Being associated with anything related to creationism deeply upsets you. It was like pulling teeth to get you to even type the word on the screen once.

Your "magical book" argument (especially since it seems to have come out of nowhere) indicates to me that you've been strongly affected by the atheists, with whom you keep company, as that's an argument I typically hear from atheists.

You believe there is a God, but you do not believe what he did was "design" (I'll quote you on that if you want) which is irrational in itself, but understandable in the context; like creationism, you also don't want to be associated with anything to do with intelligent design, because those guys can also be pretty extreme.

Out of the various options available to you, evolution comes across as the most respectable. But if there is a God, create and design is what he did. Do you understand what I'm saying? I'm not questioning your faith in God; I'm questioning your desire for respectability and reputation. If you were to talk about creation, and intelligence, and design, your atheist buddies may suddenly start looking at you differently, or questioning your intelligence. Never underestimate the desire to be respected, especially by those whom we already respect.

Here is an example of the subtly of divisive comments...

The TOE explains the mechanisms that bought about of the development and diversity of life on Earth, there's no need to bring meaning or purpose into it, that's what religion is for.

On the surface it sounds okay, but look deeper. Is Jimmy, an atheist, really saying he thinks religion brings meaning and purpose? Nah, of course not. If that were true he wouldn't be an atheist. So why did he say it? Isn't he damning religion through faint praise? Yep, of course he is. Otherwise he would have ended the sentence at "diversity of life on Earth".

But someone who fiercly wants the respect of his atheist buddies is unlikely to recognize it. These little comments can add up over time and even a sincere Christian can be worn down and eventually trained away from challenging them.

So, what the world sees is a Christian who promotes Evolution so that he can have the respect that comes with it, while secretly (or perhaps just extremely discreetly) believes in a creator. It reminds me of John 19:38.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Endtime Survivors

Apr 4, 2016
Africa
Visit site
✟30,738.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It seems that you have difficulty understanding that people have different beliefs than you do.

Sometimes, of course. And it's possible this may be happening to some degree here, though that would be true for all of us, I think, since none of us has perfect understanding of all truth. Try to be fair with me, LM.

Upvote 0

Endtime Survivors

Apr 4, 2016
Africa
Visit site
✟30,738.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
According to whom? I have never seen a single biology text book or primary article that says evolution is uncaused.

If it is caused, then there must be something behind the cause. And you will say, natural selection, and I will say that according to the theory of evolution animals are selected to die just as they are selected to live, which means referring to it as selection becomes pointless. That we think the selection which causes them to live is more important than the selection which causes them to die is something we put onto the theory. The theory itself makes no pretense at having a preference or considering one option to be more important than the other.

The essential point behind evolution is that it is caused by random mutations, natural selection, and other natural processes. Evolution makes no claim that no intelligence is involved since no scientific theory makes universally negative claims.

Theories only communicate what we tell them communicate. The theory of evolution communicates that there was no intelligence behind why we are here. If you want to include the possibility of intelligence, then you've left the theory of evolution for some other theory. That is point of making distinctions, to separate ideas and concepts into various categories for better clarity.

If you want a theory to suggest that it is possible while also not possible that there was intelligence behind our being here, then neither creation nor evolution are suitable theories to communicate this idea, because those theories are already taken.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟870,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I also suggested earlier that I recognized asking you to put those examples into simpler terms

You did no such thing. If you merely wanted me to clarify what I was referring to - as a layman that's right up my alley - you could have done so three hours ago instead of cutting 3/4 of my post and making a silly comment about chimpanzees.

If you want me to explain my questions in simple, layman's language, just ask.

Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0

Endtime Survivors

Apr 4, 2016
Africa
Visit site
✟30,738.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You did no such thing. If you merely wanted me to clarify what I was referring to - as a layman that's right up my alley - you could have done so three hours ago instead of cutting 3/4 of my post and making a silly comment about chimpanzees.

If you want me to explain my questions in simple, layman's language, just ask.

I get where you're coming from, but if people have to go talk to this geneticist guy just to understand your point, then you probably won't get very far with anyone outside of your specialized field. That's why I suggested earlier that we try to stick to general principles rather than technical examples.

I realize this may not come across as particularly fair to you since it is in those technical details that you think you have proof (I guess) but it is not the technical details which I dispute. You probably are right in some of your conclusions and observations. But being right about a detail doesn't mean we've got the bigger picture.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,907,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Excellent point. They've actually got it chopped up into three parts; the appearance of time/ space/ matter, then abiogenesis, then evolution of life; all nicely separated and confined to their independent little compartments. How convenient.
It's seven compartments now.

Cosmic_Evolution.jpg

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟349,850.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Hi Warden. I hope you don't mind if I ask a favor that you not refer to me as Mister (it's something Jesus taught). Just call me ETS. Thanks.

Mmm... no. Especially since I was intentionally being sarcastic.

As for your comments on science, I think it makes sense that God invented science, and that the most likely reason so many Christians today distrust science is because so many atheists have tried to use science to discredit God. There have been a lot of overreactions on both sides, I think.

I'm inclined to believe that all the various geniuses throughout history were specifically made that way by God because he wanted us to learn more about just how amazing his creation really is. Some of them used their gifts properly and we learned a great deal about the world around us.

It creates a bemusing paradox for some scientists in that, the more they discover just how complex life and the universe really are, the more they feel there is no need for any intelligence behind that complexity; In other words, the complexity becomes the explanation for the complexity.

A few years ago a new Science series was released called "Cosmos" (I think), narrated by Neil DeGrass Tyson. I watched all of it and it was really good (he's got a really soothing voice, I think). They put a lot of quality into that show, but it also heavily stressed the theme that a belief in God is what barbarians did in the past when they had no other explanation for all the complexity around them.

These people were definitely pushing a godless evolution, very, very strongly. No ambiguity with those guys, which, while I disagree with, I still respect, especially compared to all the waffling I've found here.

Haha, it actually makes me feel like praying for an atheist who's clear on the issues, instead of all this waffling around about the possibilities of God being behind evolution.

If you want to consider the possibility of a creator behind it all, then that's creation, not evolution, though I don't see any problem with considering the idea that God engineered evolution as a self-replocating system. I think it's good to consider the various possibilities even if we disagree on some of them. However, that would still be creation.

All of that has absolutely no bearing on my comment that Speedwell is a Christian even though he accepts the findings of actual science, despite your comments to the contrary.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟349,850.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
On the surface it sounds okay, but look deeper. Is Jimmy, an atheist, really saying he thinks religion brings meaning and purpose? Nah, of course not. If that were true he wouldn't be an atheist. So why did he say it? Isn't he damning religion through faint praise? Yep, of course he is. Otherwise he would have ended the sentence at "diversity of life on Earth".

But someone who fiercly wants the respect of his atheist buddies is unlikely to recognize it. These little comments can add up over time and even a sincere Christian can be worn down and eventually trained away from challenging them.

So, what the world sees is a Christian who promotes Evolution so that he can have the respect that comes with it, while secretly (or perhaps just extremely discreetly) believes in a creator. It reminds me of John 19:38.

You REALLY need to stop pretending to know what other people think when you obviously don't. The only thing you have shown is that you are an incredibly paranoid individual who is always on the defensive due to a persecution complex.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟341,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
For the same reason people talk about "theistic evolution".
I talk about "theistic evolution" because there are some poorly informed people who think that evolution is inherently atheistic. Now could you try answering the question?

• Optimistic
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟239,872.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Hello Ophiolite.

All events are caused events, therefore there is pattern and predictability to all events. The word, 'random', describes a temporary phenomenon, in time all will be understood.
Thank you for informing me that you do not understand what random means. It rather makes further discussion with you on a science thread quite pointless. If you ever choose to be educated in the matter I can, with some little effort, point you in the right direction. Just let me know.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟239,872.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Is there a third party that can tell me what I'm missing? :scratch:
You are still working on the charming hypothesis that all humans are responsive to rational thought and can respond with structured argument. It is a lovely idea and one day it may come true. However there are dedicated individuals determined to prevent that day ever dawning. In these circumstances it is best to smile rather than grimace.

Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hello bhstme.

People believe the ideology they are taught.

I think it depends on a person's individual psychology, what they believe. Some folks, will cling to what they are taught and anything that goes against that is simply rejected out of hand. Other folks, learn and accept new information in their life and this will cause them to understand, it becomes too painful for them to keep denying well evidenced reality and all the energy that needs to be expended to keep the defense mechanisms on full alert.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You REALLY need to stop pretending to know what other people think when you obviously don't. The only thing you have shown is that you are an incredibly paranoid individual who is always on the defensive due to a persecution complex.

Some folks need to pretend they know how other people think and apply labels to those who disagree with them. It brings, temporary comfort, when trying to protect a tightly held belief.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
If you had any evidence that I was doing so, your argument would have some validity. I make comments on your views toward evolution based on what you've actually said here in this thread and I'm pretty careful to include quotes, so my comments actually relate to the topic at hand. In fact, my comments have only been limited to what you've said here in this thread. I don't know anything about you outside of this particular topic so I don't comment on issues which fall outside of this topic.

If you have some quotes on my views regarding the Bible, then go ahead and quote them, so that you also can be accountable to the same standards I'm using when coming to conclusions on your stance. Be fair with me, speedwell.
Quite right, I should have said "Creationists bow down..." I don't know for a fact that you are a Creationist; you have not been as forthcoming with your beliefs as I have.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Put it all together; Being associated with anything related to creationism deeply upsets you. It was like pulling teeth to get you to even type the word on the screen once.
Yes, it does. For my sins, I had to live in the Bible Belt for several years, which is enough to explain my attitude towards creationists without reference to atheism.

Your "magical book" argument (especially since it seems to have come out of nowhere) indicates to me that you've been strongly affected by the atheists, with whom you keep company, as that's an argument I typically hear from atheists.
Not by atheists, but by people who attribute magical properties to the Bible. Again, I apologize if you are not one of them. But it is a common ploy of such people to try and recruit Christians to their cause by trying to show them that evolution is inherently ungodly.

You believe there is a God, but you do not believe what he did was "design" (I'll quote you on that if you want) which is irrational in itself, but understandable in the context; like creationism, you also don't want to be associated with anything to do with intelligent design, because those guys can also be pretty extreme.

Out of the various options available to you, evolution comes across as the most respectable. But if there is a God, create and design is what he did. Do you understand what I'm saying? I'm not questioning your faith in God; I'm questioning your desire for respectability and reputation. If you were to talk about creation, and intelligence, and design, your atheist buddies may suddenly start looking at you differently, or questioning your intelligence. Never underestimate the desire to be respected, especially by those whom we already respect.

I don't know why you think the respect of atheists is so important.

Of course; he's an atheist. But he makes a good point: it is not the mechanics of evolution which brings meaning and purpose to life. It is Christ who brings meaning to my life. As to Jimmy, I couldn't say, but we agree that it is not to be found in a mere scientific theory, nor having been found, put at risk by it.

But someone who fiercely wants the respect of his atheist buddies is unlikely to recognize it. These little comments can add up over time and even a sincere Christian can be worn down and eventually trained away from challenging them.
Why should I challenge him? He is not challenging me--on a board specifically set up by the Christians who run this forum to be a proselytizing-free zone in which non-Christians can participate comfortably.

I hardly think you can regard my belief in God as something I have hidden or attempted to be discreet about.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for informing me that you do not understand what random means. It rather makes further discussion with you on a science thread quite pointless. If you ever choose to be educated in the matter I can, with some little effort, point you in the right direction. Just let me know.
Hello Ophiolite.

I wonder which way you are pointing?

Upvote 0