klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
In scientific discourse "random" simply means "unpredictable." It does not mean uncaused or without purpose.
Hello Speedwell.

Perhaps you can explain the following?

Randomness can be seen as conflicting with the deterministic ideas of some religions, such as those where the universe is created by an omniscient deity who is aware of all past and future events. If the universe is regarded to have a purpose, then randomness can be seen as impossible. This is one of the rationales for religious opposition to evolution, which states that non-random selection is applied to the results of random genetic variation.(Wikipedia)

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hello Speedwell.

Randomness can be seen as conflicting with the deterministic ideas of some religions, such as those where the universe is created by an omniscient deity who is aware of all past and future events. If the universe is regarded to have a purpose, then randomness can be seen as impossible. This is one of the rationales for religious opposition to evolution, which states that non-random selection is applied to the results of random genetic variation.(Wikipedia)

Why do some religions and so many religious people, firmly accept evolution?

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
As has been pointed out, random doesn't mean uncaused. Although, as I understand it, there is a question mark over the direct cause of a radioactive decay at the level of an individual atom.

You miss the point - the numbers drawn may not be random, but that doesn't matter; as long as there's no way for participants to discover the numbers before buying their tickets, the lottery is random from their perspective.

Whether the draw really is 'random' is an interesting point - if the world is classically deterministic, then the observer effect together with the Butterfly Effect (sensitive dependence on initial conditions) may make it impossible in practice to know all the variables, because a measurement will disturb the system and the Butterfly Effect will amplify that disturbance, invalidating the prediction (also, the relativity of simultaneity might make it impossible to simultaneously measure all the variables)... so it would be random in the sense of being unpredictable in practice.

On the other hand, the uncertainty principle and stochastic quantum mechanics may mean that there really are no definite variables to base a prediction on... so it would be random in the sense of being unpredictable in principle.

I think the jury is still out on QM randomness; for example, the 'Many Worlds' interpretation is deterministic, positing that the randomness we experience is an artifact of our perspective in much the same way as the randomness the lottery participants see is an artifact of theirs.
Hello FB.

A very good reply.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Do you deny that random events occur?
Do you understand that random does not mean without cause?
Hello Ophiolite.

All events are caused events, therefore there is pattern and predictability to all events. The word, 'random', describes a temporary phenomenon, in time all will be understood.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Hello Speedwell.

Evolution is a process which contains a randomizing element, but such an element need not be a barrier to telos. For example, in the electronics industry, processes based on random variation and selection are widely used, both in manufacturing and design. A semiconductor device, a transistor, say, can be built to exacting and expensive standards so that all of the transistors are precisely to type. On the other hand, it turns out to be cheaper to allow the performance parameters to vary randomly during production, then test and select the transistors afterwards, rejecting those which do not meet the standards for the type. These devices are produced by random variation and selection, but no one would say they were without purpose.

Upvote 0

Endtime Survivors

prophecy link in my profile!
Apr 4, 2016
Africa
Visit site
✟30,738.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Could you please address this fundamental question: why do you think evolution at its core rules out any intelligence, design, or intent behind it?

For the same reason people talk about "theistic evolution". There's a reason why they put "theistic" there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟870,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Because they are seriously cute. Would love to play with one someday. Thanks for the pleasant reminder.

So, not only do not have an answer for the three examples you cut out of my quote, you don't have an answer for the one you actually did quote.

See, the thing is Creationists always want to argue semantics and hypotheticals, but when presented with actual evidence, they tend to avoid it entirely, respond with a non sequitur or go on a Gish Gallop.

My questions were actually pretty simple to answer.

Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0

Endtime Survivors

Apr 4, 2016
Africa
Visit site
✟30,738.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Nor would I want to risk being associated with the fascist extremists at the Discovery Institute who invented Intelligent Design as a cover for their political agenda.

It sounds like the basis for all this arguing, from the very beginning, is just you having one big reaction to not wanting to be associated with certain kinds of people who have various extreme views, hence your strong desire to get away from "creationism" and to shelter under the more respectable "evolution".

Ya know, many Christians today seem to think that if Shadrach, Meshach, and abednego had just bowed to the golden statue, while pretending it was really God they were bowing to in their hearts, they could have saved themselves a lot of trouble, so that's how many Christians today behave. They go around bowing to the various golden statues of our time, pretending that in their heart they really serve their creator.

Upvote 0

Endtime Survivors

Apr 4, 2016
Africa
Visit site
✟30,738.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
My questions were actually pretty simple to answer.

Remember that time you suggested I go talk to a professional geneticist if I wanted to understand your point of view? Overwhelming me with a bunch of vernacular and technical jargon won't get you anywhere except perhaps a good feeling that you managed to contribute in a way that I could not properly address. Well, It worked. Ya got me. You know more technical jargon than I do. Congratulations.

Upvote 0

Endtime Survivors

Apr 4, 2016
Africa
Visit site
✟30,738.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
That didn't answer his question at all.

I think it answers the question just fine. Recall an earlier example from speedwell...

You have never heard of theistic evolutionists?

Why do you think he felt a need to qualify that it is theistic evolution he referring to. In fact, why did anyone at any time ever feel the need to talk about theistic evolution? The answer is obvious. You just need to be reasonable about it.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
It sounds like the basis for all this arguing, from the very beginning, is just you having one big reaction to not wanting to be associated with certain kinds of people who have various extreme views, hence your strong desire to get away from "creationism" and to shelter under the more respectable "evolution"
You bet I want nothing to do with creationism. But I don't care that much about evolution. If the theory of evolution was overturned tomorrow, it still wouldn't change my mind about the Bible.

Ya know, many Christians today seem to think that if Shadrach, Meshach, and abednego had just bowed to the golden statue, while pretending it was really God they were bowing to in their hearts, they could have saved themselves a lot of trouble, so that's how many Christians today behave. They go around bowing to the various golden statues of our time, pretending that in their heart they really serve their creator.
While you bow down to a book which you have endowed with magical properties. Comes to the same thing in the end.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Endtime Survivors

Apr 4, 2016
Africa
Visit site
✟30,738.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Of these thousands of paper biologists you've read/listened to, how many of them mentioned 'abiogenesis'?

Excellent point. They've actually got it chopped up into three parts; the appearance of time/ space/ matter, then abiogenesis, then evolution of life; all nicely separated and confined to their independent little compartments. How convenient.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I think it answers the question just fine. Recall an earlier example from speedwell...

Why do you think he felt a need to qualify that it is theistic evolution he referring to. In fact, why did anyone at any time ever feel the need to talk about theistic evolution? The answer is obvious. You just need to be reasonable about it.
The point being that evolution, as an observable process in the material world, is the same for the theistic evolutionist as for the atheist. The term wouldn't even be necessary if it were not for people like you trying to spread the falsehood that evolution is inherently atheistic.

• Agree
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

Endtime Survivors

Apr 4, 2016
Africa
Visit site
✟30,738.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
While you bow down to a book which you have endowed with magical properties. Comes to the same thing in the end.

If you had any evidence that I was doing so, your argument would have some validity. I make comments on your views toward evolution based on what you've actually said here in this thread and I'm pretty careful to include quotes, so my comments actually relate to the topic at hand. In fact, my comments have only been limited to what you've said here in this thread. I don't know anything about you outside of this particular topic so I don't comment on issues which fall outside of this topic.

If you have some quotes on my views regarding the Bible, then go ahead and quote them, so that you also can be accountable to the same standards I'm using when coming to conclusions on your stance. Be fair with me, speedwell.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟870,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Remember that time you suggested I go talk to a professional geneticist if I wanted to understand your point of view?

No I do not. I do remember, however, suggesting that if you had questions about genetics we have a working geneticist here who would me more than willing to answer any questions you have.

Overwhelming me with a bunch of vernacular and technical jargon...

Everything I posted could be plugged into a search engine in less than 10 seconds.

Upvote 0

Endtime Survivors

Apr 4, 2016
Africa
Visit site
✟30,738.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
OR, and here's a better idea, he accepts actual science and also believes in God at the same time! Now how's that for a novel idea, Mister Mindreader?

Hi Warden. I hope you don't mind if I ask a favor that you not refer to me as Mister (it's something Jesus taught). Just call me ETS. Thanks.

As for your comments on science, I think it makes sense that God invented science, and that the most likely reason so many Christians today distrust science is because so many atheists have tried to use science to discredit God. There have been a lot of overreactions on both sides, I think.

I'm inclined to believe that all the various geniuses throughout history were specifically made that way by God because he wanted us to learn more about just how amazing his creation really is. Some of them used their gifts properly and we learned a great deal about the world around us.

It creates a bemusing paradox for some scientists in that, the more they discover just how complex life and the universe really are, the more they feel there is no need for any intelligence behind that complexity; In other words, the complexity becomes the explanation for the complexity.

A few years ago a new Science series was released called "Cosmos" (I think), narrated by Neil DeGrass Tyson. I watched all of it and it was really good (he's got a really soothing voice, I think). They put a lot of quality into that show, but it also heavily stressed the theme that a belief in God is what barbarians did in the past when they had no other explanation for all the complexity around them.

These people were definitely pushing a godless evolution, very, very strongly. No ambiguity with those guys, which, while I disagree with, I still respect, especially compared to all the waffling I've found here.

Haha, it actually makes me feel like praying for an atheist who's clear on the issues, instead of all this waffling around about the possibilities of God being behind evolution.

If you want to consider the possibility of a creator behind it all, then that's creation, not evolution, though I don't see any problem with considering the idea that God engineered evolution as a self-replocating system. I think it's good to consider the various possibilities even if we disagree on some of them. However, that would still be creation.

Upvote 0