Digital SLRs

onfire4Jesus

Mar 26, 2004
✟8,510.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What I would give for a Canon Digital Rebel. *sighs dreamily* DSLRs are incredibly expensive, so I'll have to stick with what I've got for now. I have an Olympus Camedia E10. It's decent, just not quite what I wanted. One day, the Rebel shall be mine!!!!
Good luck with your camera search! Hope you find something you like. :)

Upvote 0

Piano Player

Order of the Candle
Apr 12, 2004
Cleveland, Ohio
✟15,881.00
Faith
Methodist
Politics
US-Democrat
Redguard said:
I want one really badly.

Any suggestions? I'd like something with a panoramic option because I like taking landscape pictures.

... or you can just talk about your own dslr here.
Also look into the Nikon D70. Don't worry about "panoramic" option since in the SLRs you are considering all it does is just crop the frame to a panoramic frame. Something you can do with more flexibility in photoshop.

Upvote 0

Southern Cross

Conservative Republican Hippy People Shooter
Oct 29, 2004
Sunny Central Florida, USA (woo hoo!)
✟17,034.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have a D70 and Fuji S2 pro. Soon to own a S3 pro. If you are looking to get into photography with a digital SLR, the Nikon D70 and Canon Digital Rebel are decent starting points. Pick a system you feel comfortable with and start from there.

Just be prepared for the investment and steep learning curve. It's not just the camera. It's computers, software, lenses. Sometimes it's better to stick with film unless you absolutely must switch to digital.

About shooting with digital - someone above mentioned the sky. They're probably referring to digital noise, which isn't really a problem unless you are shooting blank, blue sky, then you'll see some noise (sort of the same thing as mild film grain). But the benefits of digital far outweigh film as far as I'm concerned, except for the up front expense.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go for the D70 with the Nikon 18-70mm kit lens. It's a great package with a great performing lens, and I use it for weddings and corporate events. Think about a flash at some point too.

As for enlargements and panoramas, you can shoot at high resolution then crop down, or stitch together photos using software. Both are reasonable options.

Upvote 0

Southern Cross

Conservative Republican Hippy People Shooter
Oct 29, 2004
Sunny Central Florida, USA (woo hoo!)
✟17,034.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, the S2 is a great camera, without a doubt. Best color rendition and image files right out of the camera that I've ever seen. Incredibly good native black & white images up to 1600 ISO with very little noise. Very little post processing work needs to be done. It's a huge blessing when I shoot several hundred wedding images at one wedding and then have to download hundreds more images from my regular family photo sessions, etc.

The auto focus is a bit slow compared to my F100 or the D2H, but overall, it's very good with AF-S lenses. And the dual battery feature is a pain. But those are the only negatives! Prices are really dropping since the S3 hit the market this month.

I'm booking quite a few weddings where I'll be travelling quite a bit (from FL to NJ and CT) and I won't have time for tons of image processing and color correction. The Fuji S2 will probably be my primary camera for those reasons.

The only area the D70 beats the S2 pro is in flash capability and AF speed. That high 1/500 second flash sync makes shooting images in bright light a snap. It takes a close second place to the S2 Pro in image quality, and that's with custom curves downloaded into the camera for people shooting.

Upvote 0

MooTipping

Oct 26, 2004
Northfield, Minnesota
Visit site
✟15,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm not sure of the exact name, but it's along the Canon Eos line. They're beautiful...but lenses for them are so much..like 3x more than the camera itself. I want one so badly, but $$$! ...I'll check eBay...Hmmm.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

utdbear

Catalina Wine Mixer....POW!
Jul 6, 2004
Dallas, TX
✟4,578.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have the Digital Rebel. I shoot for news, so its not quite what I am wanting because I need a high burst rate, so I am gonna be wanting to step up pretty soon, probably to the Canon 20D. As far as lenses go, I stick with Sigma, they have great quality and the prices are extremely reasonable(50 percent of what a Canon lens costs). Also, if you go with the Rebel, make sure you get the Batter Grip BG-E1, it will hold 2 batteries and make the camera feel a lot more heavy, like an SLR should. I'll just list my equipment, so you'll know what I'm dealing with

Canon 300D Digital Rebel body
Sigma 28-90mm f/3.5-5.6
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 70-200 f/2.8

Upvote 0

utdbear

Catalina Wine Mixer....POW!
Jul 6, 2004
Dallas, TX
✟4,578.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Here are some pictures taken with my camera at a volleyball and soccer game.

Attachments

• utdsoccer.jpg
    utdsoccer.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 62
  • utdvolleyballpic.jpg
    utdvolleyballpic.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 60
Upvote 0

Jer

Contributor
Nov 3, 2004
Trondheim, Norway
Visit site
✟14,066.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I would really like one. Unfortunatly they are wwwwaaaayyyyy beyond my price range at the moment. I've played about with a EOS-1DS, EOS 10D and EOS 20D. My mum is considering getting one but I'm not sure if she will. My dad has a pretty decent negative/slide scanner (Minolta Dimage Scan Elite II) so it might be better to keep my old SLR and keep scanning film until there are digital camera's as good as them and as cheap. At the moment you don't buy a digital camera, you "rent" it for a year or two and then buy or upgrade to a new one.

Upvote 0

snapshot39

Sep 6, 2004
philly/pa/usa
✟15,133.00
Faith
Catholic
I own a Nikon D100, and love it. Shot film for 45 years, and still do, and film will always near and dear, but digitals time has come.

Now that I have the camera and computer, I can shoot as much as I want without the processing charges. Still costs a few bucks for printing, but I only print those pics that are worth printing.

You don't really need a DSLR to start, a good P+S is a good learning tool. I still shoot with a 5 year old Nikon 990, and most people couldn't tell between it and a DSLR.

The hardest part of photography is composition, and you can learn that on any camera.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums