abc123xyz

Mar 16, 2012
✟15,141.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello to all,

So this shall be my first post on this forum. I want to start off by saying these questions are meant for fellow Christians mainly, but anyone against abortion can answer.

I would like to hear people's thoughts on how to possibly reply to the following points made by a Mr. "Tantalus Prime" on his blog? (The post can be found here: [What is a yellow concerto?], and the reply of Mr. Egnor can be found here ["But Tantalus, are you saying there are individuals who have more humanity than others?!" - Evolution News & Views], but I feel like the reply doesn't sufficiently answer all the objections.)

It's very long but there are several things to pay attention to because many issues arise.

I'll only include the main points, so if you want to see the full post, check out the link.

So here goes:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"What is a yellow concerto?

In the discussion of abortion, Mr. Egnor has asked me to answer a single question. Before I get to that, let me be clear on two points. First, there is nothing novel in any of the arguments that either Mr. Egnor or myself put forward. A simple Google search will allow you to follow along and predict, with a great deal of accuracy, what each of us will say. So if you aren't interested in that, move along. Second, the question(s), while apparently simple, are deceptively so. Philosophers have dealt with them for centuries without reaching a consensus and writing thoroughly on such a subject requires more space than a simple blog allows. So, if you are looking for some definitive answer, you won't get it.

Mr. Egnor has asked me a single question: What is a human embryo? Now, I must stop there because this is really two questions. The first is "What is an embryo?" I hope we can safely set aside the question of what an embryo is. Let's say a group of two or more dividing cells that, in placental mammals, is between the zygotic and fetal stages. I don't believe it is the question Mr. Egnor wants answered though. That means there is something about that dangling modifier "human". That would make the second question "What is a human?" Now, perhaps I am wrong, but I believe this is the key question Mr. Egnor wants answered. If that is the question to be answered, why not simply ask that question outright? Only Mr. Egnor knows why. So let me try rephrasing the question to better capture what I believe is being asked. "Is an embryo human?" That, is better, but I'm fairly certain that embryos associated with other animals aren't to be included, only those embryos undergoing gestation in an adult female of the species Homo sapien, commonly referred to as human. So lets use the word human in its common form to distinguish what class of embryos we are discussing. "Is a human embryo human?"

Well, this can't be right. Instead of trying to prove the unborn is fully human, such a question simply assumes the proof is true. This logical fallacy is called, of course, "begging the question". I'm sure such an outcome was unintentional. Now, some will say that I have significantly altered the question. I disagree based on the potential answers offered (especially answer 5) and think that I have clarified the question to better get at what is really being asked. If I offended anyone in doing so, I apologize. Perhaps it is better to move on and look at the possible answers.

But here we run into another problem. Mr Egnor seems to use the terms "human", "human being" and "homo sapien" interchangeably. In previous posts, he has done the same with "person". Now this can't be right because while colloquially they are interchangeable, in the context of abortion discussions Tom Gilson has informed me that these mean vastly different things. I feel either Mr. Egnor has made a mistake (or I have) or that I am being set up for some rhetorical sleight of hand. But let us assume these are equivalent terms for Mr. Egnor and use his previous posts to come up with definitions and answer the questions (1). So to clarify the present definitions:

Homo sapien - an individual, from the moment of fertilization on, with genomic content common to the hairless, social great ape originating on the planet Earth and endowed with certain rights by virtue of being a member of said species (2)
Human - see Homo sapien
Person(3) - see Human

Incomplete, I know. But as I've said, space is limited. And if I break into using the colloquial forms of these words I apologize. Now, as Mr. Egnor has said that a human life begins at fertilization and that all humans have at least one right, I'd like to believe that the above definitions are somewhat representative of what he believes. If not, he is of course free to change them. So, using these definitions, the answer to the question "What is a human embryo?" becomes simple to answer. Anything which is human is both a Homo sapien and a person. Answer 5. In fact, the word embryonic becomes superfluous because, as I have tried to show, the assumption has already been made that the embryo is human. In essence it makes the question a non sequitur, like asking "What is a stellar star?" But it is illustrative of at least one thing. Since fertilization is the starting point of human life, without fertilization there is no human life. I can conceive of at least five situations in which these definitions would create an ethical dilemma:

1) Monozygotic twins - Identical twins (or triplets, etc.) arise from a single fertilization event but result in two individuals. Since life begins at fertilization and the separation resulting in twins occurs after this, this must mean that one of the twins did not arise from fertilization and is therefore not human. No doubt such a conclusion makes people uneasy. To resolve this dilemma there are a few solutions. One could concede that fertilization is not the starting point of life. Alternatively, one could maintain that fertilization does give rise to multiple lives in the sense that each cell division creates another potential life. This creates the greater problem of reconciling the fact that each adult human is made up of billions of potential lives. In fact, one could scrape one's cheek with a swab and remove several cells with the potential for life with the express intent of preventing them from reaching such potential. In fact, I just did so and, by the rationale above, performed an abortion. Of course this is ridiculous but it is the logical conclusion using the stated definitions. One potential work around is to claim that fertilization gives rise to multiple lives but that these potential lives lose their potential after a set period of time, let's say after the first six cycles of division. This of course raises even greater problems. Where did the lives go to? Were they the unfortunate victim of spontaneous abortion (aka miscarriage)? If a drug were available that would suppress the the development of monozygotic twins (not a drug that leads to the induced abortion of one but that only suppresses the splitting of one zygote into two) then wouldn't such a drug be morally equivalent to abortion? Alternatively, if possible, wouldn't forcing split eggs back together also be morally equivalent to abortion?

Here's another one. One proposed compromise to the debate on the use of federal funds for embryonic stem cells involved taking a single cell from an early ex utero embryo as a source of stem cells but allowing the remaining cells to continue dividing in preparation for implantation. Many thought such a procedure would remove any associated moral dilemma from stem cell use since the DNA unique to that individual is retained and would, assuming implantation is successful, result in the birth of that individual. Assuming that in vitro fertilization is not morally wrong (and I know Mr. Egnor opposes it, but for those who don't), those who would accept this compromise face a moral dilemma similar to that described in the previous paragraph. How is this situation different from performing an abortion on one of a pair of monozygotic twins? In both cases, the embryo is split, one part is allowed to reach its potential and the other is not. What is the difference, in this case, between the embryo removed from the petri dish and the one removed from the uterus?

2) Cloned individuals - This should be self explanatory. Since any adult individual who is cloned from non-gametic cells would bypass fertilization, they are not a human and do not have rights by virtue of belonging to our species. To allow such individuals to be human, a redefinition of the beginning of life is required.

3) Individuals with two parents of the same sex - By this I mean individuals made from the DNA of two men or two woman. This has already been done in mice and could potentially be done in humans. To allow such individuals to be human, a redefinition of the beginning of life is required.

4) Individual developing from a non-fertilized egg - I know it sounds crazy, but it is at least theoretically possible, though highly improbable. Some contend that there is at least one documented case of such an occurrence. So again, without fertilization such an individual can not be human and is not entitled to any rights.

5) Genetically altered individuals - This is the bonus situation since it doesn't involve fertilization (depending on how it is done, it could involve gene addition post-fertilization). This is commonly done in animals and could potentially be done in humans. But how do you deal with an individual who does not have the genomic sequence common to Homo sapiens? If they are not Homo sapiens, they are not human, they are not persons, and they are not entitled to rights. This raises the same issue as above. But it raises an even bigger issue.

In the other four examples, ignoring fertilization as the starting point, one could still argue that the individual is human because of their DNA. But that is not the case here. This may be a matter of the number of altered genes, but at some point the DNA would be so altered that one could not consider such an individual a Homo sapien. If they are not a Homo sapien, they are not human; and if they are not human, then they are an animal. And if they are an animal, then there is no moral dilemma with aborting them. That is a simple logical conclusion. But not because I said so; because the greatest philosopher to ever walk the face of the Earth Thomas Aquinas said so, in Summa Theologica:
According to the Divine ordinance the life of animals and plants is preserved not for themselves but for man. Hence, as Augustine says (De Civ. Dei i, 20), 'by a most just ordinance of the Creator, both their life and their death are subject to our use.' ... He that kills another's ox, sins, not through killing the ox, but through injuring another man in his property. (4)

It seems that to avoid this dilemma, we must rethink what we mean by Homo sapien.

Is there a fundamental change in the parts before and after fertilization? Not really, unless you count discarding the sperm tail. All the parts were there before and are there after. Adding them together didn't make any new parts. You can add an Airstream to your Ford truck, but it doesn't make it a Winnebago. Can the fertilized egg do anything the sperm and egg can't? It can divide and has all the genetic code necessary for developing an individual. But the sperm and egg themselves have undergone cell division previously and also have all the genetic code necessary to develop a human, if only in haploid form. Does fertilization occur in some privileged place in the reproductive system? No, it occurs in the same place that sperm and egg meet, so it is difficult to argue that the few hundred microns a sperm moves is of significance. Is the support system any different before and after fertilization? No, in both there is little support save for providing a pathway to the uterus. So by these criteria, one could argue that fertilization is not so different from the moments preceding fertilization. And if that is the case then we can (and some would say must) push back the beginning of life, of human life with value, to some earlier time point. There is support for this assertion. After all, if my parents had used contraception, they would have prevented me from being born. If this statement is true, which of course it is, then my unique human life and the value associated with it did not begin with fertilization but extends to some earlier time point. This, logically, would be the most conservative approach.

As I said, these issues are complicated, but I've tried to summarize them as best I can in this format. And this is the short version (9). It would be nice to live in a Manichean world. It would really make a lot of things easier. But few things are simple; most are complicated. I accept this. So does Mr. Egnor, as demonstrated by his uncertainty of the exact moment during conception he believes human life begins, and his qualification that with the right to life some restrictions may apply. I live my life with the understanding that real answers are hard to come by. To live otherwise would be unconscionable.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, there you have it. Please let me know how you would respond to these points, because personally I am left wondering. Not in the sense that there is no clear answer, but just I don't know what the answer is. Number 3 and 4 are especially confusing as I am not aware of the details of how such acts would be carried out.

Thank you to all who wish to help.

-M

Paradoxum

Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!
Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I don't have time to reply, but I would suggest that 'person' isn't the same thing as 'human'. To be a person one must have whatever quality it is that makes humans different from animals, and this is to be found in the mind. Something like conscious self-reflection.

I don't think there is any one point in time when the non-person fetus becomes a person. It is a slow process and at some point we just have to make an intelligent decision about when that will be. As you may be able to tell, I'm pro-choice.

Upvote 0

abc123xyz

Mar 16, 2012
✟15,141.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't have time to reply, but I would suggest that 'person' isn't the same thing as 'human'. To be a person one must have whatever quality it is that makes humans different from animals, and this is to be found in the mind. Something like conscious self-reflection.

I don't think there is any one point in time when the non-person fetus becomes a person. It is a slow process and at some point we just have to make an intelligent decision about when that will be. As you may be able to tell, I'm pro-choice.

While I appreciate the fact that you took the time to reply I clearly stated at the beginning that I don't require you to do so as it is not only a waste of my time, but also yours (I fail to see why you'd care about a post that attempts to define what a human is specifically for the purposes of going against pro-choice beliefs).

Besides, the only rational belief for a pro-choice person is this one http://www.theblaze.com/stories/ethicists-argue-in-favor-of-after-birth-abortions-as-newborns-are-not-persons/ and http://jme.bmj.com/content/early/2012/03/01/medethics-2011-100411.full

You also contradict yourself as you first state there is no point in time when a fetus becomes a person then you also state we can make an "intelligent" decision even though according to you there is no point in time when this happens. Also, how can you make an "intelligent" choice if there's no information by which to decide objectively when to abort or not? It's merely arbitrary. The brain continues to develop well after birth anyway.

Your definition of personhood is arbitrary as that is a fuzzy concept which has changed from time period to time period and culture to culture:

"
A person (plural: persons or people; from Latin: persona, meaning "mask") is a being, such as a human, that has certain capacities or attributes constituting personhood, the precise definition of which is the subject of much controversy.
In ancient Rome, the word "persona" (Latin) or "prosopon" (πρόσωπον: Greek) originally referred to the masks worn by actors on stage. The various masks represented the various "personae" in the stage play, while the masks themselves helped the actor's voice resonate and made it easier for the audience to hear.[1] In Roman law, the word "persona" became used to refer to a role played in court, and it became established that it was the role rather than the actor that could have rights, powers, and duties, because different individuals could assume the same roles, the rights, powers, and duties followed the role rather than the actor, and each individual could act in more than one role, each a different "person" in law.
The concept of a "person" was further developed during the Trinitarian and Christological debates of the first through sixth centuries. Since then, a number of important changes to the word's meaning and use have taken place, and attempts have been made to redefine the word with varying degrees of adoption and influence. Many modern speakers of colloquial English conflate the meanings of role and actor, which can result in some confusion when they try to enter into legal discourse."

[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Person]

Now stop wasting both of our time with this because you clearly didn't take the time to read what I asked. This is not meant to be a discussion about abortion itself.

Bye.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,700.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
While I appreciate the fact that you took the time to reply I clearly stated at the beginning that I don't require you to do so as it is not only a waste of my time, but also yours (I fail to see why you'd care about a post that attempts to define what a human is specifically for the purposes of going against pro-choice beliefs).

Besides, the only rational belief for a pro-choice person is this one http://www.theblaze.com/stories/ethicists-argue-in-favor-of-after-birth-abortions-as-newborns-are-not-persons/ and After-birth abortion: why should the baby live? -- Giubilini and Minerva -- Journal of Medical Ethics

You also contradict yourself as you first state there is no point in time when a fetus becomes a person then you also state we can make an "intelligent" decision even though according to you there is no point in time when this happens. Also, how can you make an "intelligent" choice if there's no information by which to decide objectively when to abort or not? It's merely arbitrary. The brain continues to develop well after birth anyway.

Your definition of personhood is arbitrary as that is a fuzzy concept which has changed from time period to time period and culture to culture:

"
A person (plural: persons or people; from Latin: persona, meaning "mask") is a being, such as a human, that has certain capacities or attributes constituting personhood, the precise definition of which is the subject of much controversy.
In ancient Rome, the word "persona" (Latin) or "prosopon" (πρόσωπον: Greek) originally referred to the masks worn by actors on stage. The various masks represented the various "personae" in the stage play, while the masks themselves helped the actor's voice resonate and made it easier for the audience to hear.[1] In Roman law, the word "persona" became used to refer to a role played in court, and it became established that it was the role rather than the actor that could have rights, powers, and duties, because different individuals could assume the same roles, the rights, powers, and duties followed the role rather than the actor, and each individual could act in more than one role, each a different "person" in law.
The concept of a "person" was further developed during the Trinitarian and Christological debates of the first through sixth centuries. Since then, a number of important changes to the word's meaning and use have taken place, and attempts have been made to redefine the word with varying degrees of adoption and influence. Many modern speakers of colloquial English conflate the meanings of role and actor, which can result in some confusion when they try to enter into legal discourse."

[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Person]

Now stop wasting both of our time with this because you clearly didn't take the time to read what I asked. This is not meant to be a discussion about abortion itself.

Bye.
The original article is flawed to say the least.
The author seems to almost be an internet troll.
If not; then insane.

Arguments which rely on what he's proposing being true.
Seeming to miss differences between newborns and foetuses or just glaze over them with non-sense, like capacity for pain and suffering, like how one is resident of another human burdening her, like a newborn being able to be looked after by people other than the mother ETC.

You also don't look like you understood what Paradoxum was saying, but meh, it's not my place to explain her post, least i get it wrong.

If this was mainly aimed at Christians, WHY did you not post in one of the Christian only parts of the forum?

I am also curious; how does killing a newborn come under "Pro-Choice"?
I thought pro-choice-ers supported the woman's right to choose whether she wants to go through a pregnancy or not.

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,976.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If the first premise of the argument is not excepted as true, there is no need to continue with the argument. I have seen far too many arguments that people think are convincing, but the initial premise is not excepted, and the rest of the argument falls apart.

Upvote 0

abc123xyz

Mar 16, 2012
✟15,141.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If not; then insane.

Seeming to miss differences between newborns and foetuses or just glaze over them with non-sense, like capacity for pain and suffering, like how one is resident of another human burdening her, like a newborn being able to be looked after by people other than the mother ETC.

You also don't look like you understood what Paradoxum was saying, but meh, it's not my place to explain her post, least i get it wrong.

If this was mainly aimed at Christians, WHY did you not post in one of the Christian only parts of the forum?

I thought pro-choice-ers supported the woman's right to choose whether she wants to go through a pregnancy or not.

And if it came from an atheist website it would also be distorted, but thanks for showing everyone that you think only non-Atheists and right-wingers are biased. Nice one.

I understood what she said. She is wrong. That's that.

An infant can also be a burden so I fail to see the difference if it's inside the womb or not. Beside abortion is allowed for no other reason than for the sake of it, so why not infanticide?

"capacity for pain and suffering" --- after a certain point, fetuses have that capacity too. And you can be a burden while you're outside the womb or not, so that argument also fails.

Pro choice simply means the choice to end a life that someone doesn't want to deal with. You are the one who says it has to be during the pregnancy.

This will come by the way, don't think it won't.

You made me laugh, though. Thanks.

I didn't know there were Christians only parts on this forum, and I wanted to post it somewhere under ethics, this was the first place I could find. I am not going to waste my time searching for it when there's probably a hundred different places here where I could post something.

Upvote 0

abc123xyz

Mar 16, 2012
✟15,141.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If not; then insane.

Capacity for pain and suffering isn't taken into consideration during involuntary euthanasia for the elderly and how they are a burden on society, and people don't want to waste medicine on them since some argue their lives are less valuable to society in terms of productivity than others.

If it seems cold and heartless, tough. You just don't like it when the same logic is used against you.

So, I'll have none of that nonsense.

Besides, according to many bioethicists, the rights of persons (which people typically define as capable of rational thought, etc.) are more important than non-persons. If you define a "person" as having the capacity for suffering, then you might as well include all animals that have that capacity and go full blown animal liberation on us.

Also, so what if the infant can be taken care of by others? The rights of the person who has rational thought (according to some ethical theories) would supersede that as the mother would no doubt feel much misery and distress in her personal life if she has to give up her child and not able to raise it, so the rights of the mothers would be more important under this theory:

"A possible objection to our argument is that after-birth abortion should be practised just on potential people who could never have a life worth living.9 Accordingly, healthy and potentially happy people should be given up for adoption if the family cannot raise them up. Why should we kill a healthy newborn when giving it up for adoption would not breach anyone's right but possibly increase the happiness of people involved (adopters and adoptee)?

Our reply is the following. We have previously discussed the argument from potentiality, showing that it is not strong enough to outweigh the consideration of the interests of actual people. Indeed, however weak the interests of actual people can be, they will always trump the alleged interest of potential people to become actual ones, because this latter interest amounts to zero. On this perspective, the interests of the actual people involved matter, and among these interests, we also need to consider the interests of the mother who might suffer psychological distress from giving her child up for adoption. Birthmothers are often reported to experience serious psychological problems due to the inability to elaborate their loss and to cope with their grief.10 It is true that grief and sense of loss may accompany both abortion and after-birth abortion as well as adoption, but we cannot assume that for the birthmother the latter is the least traumatic. For example, ‘those who grieve a death must accept the irreversibility of the loss, but natural mothers often dream that their child will return to them. This makes it difficult to accept the reality of the loss because they can never be quite sure whether or not it is irreversible’.11"

So, there you go. It's rational. It's heartless and cruel in most people's eyes, including mine and from what I can tell, yours, but it's a rational and logical conclusion of your beliefs. You're not going to just dismiss this so easily as you think. There's a lot more debating going on within the bioethics community (mostly utilitarians, by the way) than you know, whether it's a good thing or not. You know my beliefs, so you know how I feel about it.

I'm not going to say anything else on this, as it is a waste of time because this wasn't the original purpose of the post.

I simply posted more to show you that it's not as irrational and insane as you think, at least once you accept the pro-choice position, a debate is not out of the question.

So for you pro-choicers that disagree, please start your own post and debate the pro's and con's. I merely tried to show you some of the possible logical conclusions of your belief system. It's not definitive, but it's definitely up for debate.

Upvote 0

abc123xyz

Mar 16, 2012
✟15,141.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The dude who writes a 2,000 word essay on abortion is complaining about people wasting his time?

Umm, no one forced you to read this. No one.

You ARE wasting my time since I specifically asked that I want a particular answer to my question, you're answering something completely different.

So, let's see. I don't force you to come here, read my post, or reply.

Fair enough?

PEOPLE COME HERE, READ EVERYTHING (INCLUDING ME ASKING PEOPLE NOT TO ANSWER IF THEY'RE NOT GOING TO PARTICIPATE IN A DEBATE ABOUT A CERTAIN TOPIC), YET CONTINUE TO DEBATE ABOUT THE VERY THING I WAS TRYING TO AVOID, THUS MAKING THIS DISCUSSION GO OFF TOPIC, WHICH IS THE VERY REASON I SAID AT THE TOP OF MY POST, DON'T BOTHER REPLYING. THIS IS MEANT TO BE A DISCUSSION WITHIN THE PRO-LIFE COMMUNITY. IT IS A WASTE OF BOTH YOUR TIME AND MINE.

Since people did post replies that deviated from the main topic, I tried to at least show enough courtesy to reply with my thoughts.

So I fail to see why you wouldn't be able to comprehend what I'm saying unless English is not your first language.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Glas Ridire

Dec 28, 2010
✟4,005.00
Faith
Celtic Catholic
Marital Status
Married
And like I said, this isn't meant to be a discussion about abortion itself. Stop wasting my time.

So, what are you looking for? It may help if you state your question in a concise manner that does not require readers to engage a longish bit of text which while perhaps cut and pasted down to a near reasonable length, may have suffered a bit in the context dept. Not tryin to be a jerk here, but, could you rephrase your questions in the form of say half a dozen or less bullet points?

Upvote 0

The Nihilist

Contributor
Sep 14, 2006
✟16,289.00
Faith
Atheist
Umm, no one forced you to read this. No one.

Don't worry bro, I didn't.

You ARE wasting my time since I specifically asked that I want a particular answer to my question, you're answering something completely different.

So, let's see. I don't force you to come here, read my post, or reply.

Fair enough?

PEOPLE COME HERE, READ EVERYTHING (INCLUDING ME ASKING PEOPLE NOT TO ANSWER IF THEY'RE NOT GOING TO PARTICIPATE IN A DEBATE ABOUT A CERTAIN TOPIC), YET CONTINUE TO DEBATE ABOUT THE VERY THING I WAS TRYING TO AVOID, THUS MAKING THIS DISCUSSION GO OFF TOPIC, WHICH IS THE VERY REASON I SAID AT THE TOP OF MY POST, DON'T BOTHER REPLYING. THIS IS MEANT TO BE A DISCUSSION WITHIN THE PRO-LIFE COMMUNITY. IT IS A WASTE OF BOTH YOUR TIME AND MINE.
I don't know whether you're new to the internet, but trying to direct discussion is like herding cats. People are going to talk about what they want to talk about, and you can either deal with it like a grown up or go somewhere else.

Since people did post replies that deviated from the main topic, I tried to at least show enough courtesy to reply with my thoughts.

So I fail to see why you wouldn't be able to comprehend what I'm saying unless English is not your first language.
I'm really not sure that petulance counts as courtesy.

Upvote 0

abc123xyz

Mar 16, 2012
✟15,141.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So, what are you looking for? It may help if you state your question in a concise manner that does not require readers to engage a longish bit of text which while perhaps cut and pasted down to a near reasonable length, may have suffered a bit in the context dept. Not tryin to be a jerk here, but, could you rephrase your questions in the form of say half a dozen or less bullet points?

I simply require help solving those difficult thought experiments that Mr. Tantalus came up with in the original post, from anyone who is anti-abortion (it's simply a waste of time for anyone pro-abortion to really worry about those issues, as it doesn't concern them anyway, what does concern them is when not to abort, i.e., when "personhood" is to be given).

Those five main points:

1) Monozygotic twins - Identical twins (or triplets, etc.) arise from a single fertilization event but result in two individuals. Since life begins at fertilization and the separation resulting in twins occurs after this, this must mean that one of the twins did not arise from fertilization and is therefore not human. No doubt such a conclusion makes people uneasy. To resolve this dilemma there are a few solutions. One could concede that fertilization is not the starting point of life. Alternatively, one could maintain that fertilization does give rise to multiple lives in the sense that each cell division creates another potential life. This creates the greater problem of reconciling the fact that each adult human is made up of billions of potential lives. In fact, one could scrape one's cheek with a swab and remove several cells with the potential for life with the express intent of preventing them from reaching such potential. In fact, I just did so and, by the rationale above, performed an abortion. Of course this is ridiculous but it is the logical conclusion using the stated definitions. One potential work around is to claim that fertilization gives rise to multiple lives but that these potential lives lose their potential after a set period of time, let's say after the first six cycles of division. This of course raises even greater problems. Where did the lives go to? Were they the unfortunate victim of spontaneous abortion (aka miscarriage)? If a drug were available that would suppress the the development of monozygotic twins (not a drug that leads to the induced abortion of one but that only suppresses the splitting of one zygote into two) then wouldn't such a drug be morally equivalent to abortion? Alternatively, if possible, wouldn't forcing split eggs back together also be morally equivalent to abortion?

Here's another one. One proposed compromise to the debate on the use of federal funds for embryonic stem cells involved taking a single cell from an early ex utero embryo as a source of stem cells but allowing the remaining cells to continue dividing in preparation for implantation. Many thought such a procedure would remove any associated moral dilemma from stem cell use since the DNA unique to that individual is retained and would, assuming implantation is successful, result in the birth of that individual. Assuming that in vitro fertilization is not morally wrong (and I know Mr. Egnor opposes it, but for those who don't), those who would accept this compromise face a moral dilemma similar to that described in the previous paragraph. How is this situation different from performing an abortion on one of a pair of monozygotic twins? In both cases, the embryo is split, one part is allowed to reach its potential and the other is not. What is the difference, in this case, between the embryo removed from the petri dish and the one removed from the uterus?

2) Cloned individuals - This should be self explanatory. Since any adult individual who is cloned from non-gametic cells would bypass fertilization, they are not a human and do not have rights by virtue of belonging to our species. To allow such individuals to be human, a redefinition of the beginning of life is required.

3) Individuals with two parents of the same sex - By this I mean individuals made from the DNA of two men or two woman. This has already been done in mice and could potentially be done in humans. To allow such individuals to be human, a redefinition of the beginning of life is required.

4) Individual developing from a non-fertilized egg - I know it sounds crazy, but it is at least theoretically possible, though highly improbable. Some contend that there is at least one documented case of such an occurrence. So again, without fertilization such an individual can not be human and is not entitled to any rights.

5) Genetically altered individuals - This is the bonus situation since it doesn't involve fertilization (depending on how it is done, it could involve gene addition post-fertilization). This is commonly done in animals and could potentially be done in humans. But how do you deal with an individual who does not have the genomic sequence common to Homo sapiens? If they are not Homo sapiens, they are not human, they are not persons, and they are not entitled to rights. This raises the same issue as above. But it raises an even bigger issue.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
Homo sapien - an individual, from the moment of fertilization on, with genomic content common to the hairless, social great ape originating on the planet Earth and endowed with certain rights by virtue of being a member of said species (2)
Human - see Homo sapien
Person(3) - see Human

This is incorrect.

Upvote 0

abc123xyz

Mar 16, 2012
✟15,141.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Don't worry bro, I didn't.

I don't know whether you're new to the internet, but trying to direct discussion is like herding cats. People are going to talk about what they want to talk about, and you can either deal with it like a grown up or go somewhere else.

I'm really not sure that petulance counts as courtesy.

I fail to see why I have to be happy and not feel the slightest bit irritated by people not answering what I asked them to answer. I could have simply ignored them completely and told them to shut up.

No, I'd rather get the answer I want. I don't care much for anything else. Everything else is irrelevant. I'll get my answers, then you can all argue over whatever you feel like. But I'm here to get my answers. That's that. I don't care about all the other issues because I've heard them all hundreds of thousands of times, all the debates, etc. I just like those thought experiments and would appreciate some input from a mind other than my own.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

abc123xyz

Mar 16, 2012
✟15,141.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is incorrect.

Since homo sapiens is the scientific term for human, I fail to see the controversy there.

And since I already pointed out that "personhood" theory varies from culture to culture and time period to time period, that's not as obvious as you think it is. It's simply in your belief system that personhood is defined in a way that allows for abortion. Not all belief systems throughout time used such a definition.

But thanks for just saying something's incorrect because it disagrees with what your belief system says.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
Since homo sapiens is the scientific term for human, I fail to see the controversy there.

And since I already pointed out that "personhood" theory varies from culture to culture and time period to time period, that's not as obvious as you think it is. It's simply in your belief system that personhood is defined in a way that allows for abortion. Not all belief systems throughout time used such a definition.

But thanks for just saying something's incorrect because it disagrees with what your belief system says.

You don't even know what my belief system is in regards to abortion. Plus, I'm not even talking about abortion, I'm talking about the meanings of words.

I'm merely pointing out that 'Homo sapiens', 'human', and 'person' are not as interchangeable as he makes them out to be.

Upvote 0

abc123xyz

Mar 16, 2012
✟15,141.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You don't even know what my belief system is in regards to abortion. Plus, I'm not even talking about abortion, I'm talking about the meanings of words.

I'm merely pointing out that 'Homo sapiens', 'human', and 'person' are not as interchangeable as he makes them out to be.

In some belief systems, they are. Specifically human and person. Maybe in some belief systems they are not (i.e., the ones that allow for abortion*, but in systems that don't allow abortion personhood is given to any human).

*This may also include personhood rights with regards to giving non-human animals rights, etc.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
In some belief systems, they are. Specifically human and person. Maybe in some belief systems they are not (i.e., the ones that allow for abortion, but in systems that don't allow abortion personhood is given to any human).

Personally, I don't really care when personhood is attained; it would not change my views on abortion.

Quick question; do dead humans have personhood?

Upvote 0

abc123xyz

Mar 16, 2012
✟15,141.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Personally, I don't really care when personhood is attained; it would not change my views on abortion.

Quick question; do dead humans have personhood?

So you're either a child pretending to be a middle aged adult or just making a silly little attempt at humor. I'm not going to bother with this.

Though an argument could be made to give them some rights, and thus personhood so as to not desecrate their bodies. Some belief systems allow for that.

Upvote 0