Different Public Schools for Different Faiths ?

sprknjc

John 15:13
Feb 3, 2024
Northern Virginia outer suburbs
✟6,944.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I went to a public college in the 2010s in conservative state and took classes on the Tanakh, early Christian writings (both NT and some stuff that got left out) and Buddhism, as well as a class on the history of the Middle East which necessarily went pretty deeply into Islam. It's been 10 years, but the kind of hostility you are speaking of, even in a state known as being one of the most conservative in the country, didn't exist.
The news, even Christian, most often seem to find the closest to persecution examples in this country, even when some of reality is different. In 2021 dealing with zie and zer pronouns one teacher in the DMV DC region Loudoun County refused, and it even went to the VA Supreme Court ruling in favor of the teacher's sincerely held religious beliefs Virginia Supreme Court Upholds Reinstatement of Teacher Opposed to Transgender Policy . And another teacher of the same LCPS resigned the same year at a school board public hearing Christian teacher quits in front of school board to protest 'highly politicized agendas' Schools calling evil good and good evil, and its not good when kids are learning that in schools in some places around the country.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Though the First Amendment says the government cannot establish A religion as was in England, here's an idea to reduce cultural friction between people of various faiths and those of anti faith in the public schools, which can happen in larger school districts with dozens of schools. Have separate schools for Christian, possibly for various denominations within, Catholic, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, not believers of traditional marriage lifestyle, Atheists, etc. and not restricted to skin color, ethnicity, race, or nationality. Parents choose for their children which is cheaper than private school and less time constraining for parents than home schooling. Some interaction between different belief schools in the school districts with sports games and academic competitions. Also so if the Christian kids want to pray or study the Bible in their own Christian publc school, they could do so without offending others, likewise if Muslim, Jewish, or choose to participate in an alternative lifestyle.

Larger school districts have the real estate of many buildings to do this. I do see added school bus transportation costs with this, but reducing cultural friction and lawsuits is priceless. Maybe this idea is being done today in sections of other countries besides the United States, but I don't know. Some districts do have special schools for bad behavior students, gifted academically, or the disabled, so why not of various beliefs?

Thoughts, pro or con?
segregation divides, it does not bring people together.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Have a look at our current culture, you know that "reality" you mentioned. Tell me nothing bad is happening.
Sure, there are issues in our current culture. I even outlined an example in post 131. But that's an example of something actually happening rather than the vague hypotheticals in the post I was quoting so I'm not sure how that helps us understand what those were trying to sell.

Upvote 0