Visit site
✟20,802.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have been looking at different Orthodox churches and I see there are so many different kinds. Can someone tell me the main differences between ones such as "Greek Orthodox" and "Orthodox Church in America"? Are some more "liberal" then others?

Last edited:

HandmaidenOfGod

Christ is Risen! Indeed He is Risen!
Sep 11, 2004
✟15,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Although Orthodox missions did evangelize the native Alaskan people in the 18th Century, Orthodoxy was largely brought to America by immigrants at the end of the 19th and early 20th Century. Early Greek, Russian, and other Eastern European and Arab immigrants set up churches to celebrate the faith they grew with in their homelands, and to culturally connect with other immigrants.

Due to various political reasons that I won’t get into now, a single primate for an American Orthodox Church was never established, and the various ethnic churches simply aligned themselves with the Patriarch’s of their home countries.

Although members of Greek Orthodox and Russian Orthodox parishes may be of different cultural backgrounds, their theology and beliefs are the same. The Liturgy that is celebrated at the Greek Orthodox parish in Boston is the same as the liturgy celebrated at Russian Orthodox parish in Pittsburgh, and is the same as the Liturgy celebrated at the Antiochian parish in Atlanta. The only difference is culture.

As time has marched on from the early settlers of the 19th and 20th Centuries, the different groups have intermarried with Americans of different backgrounds, and non-Orthodox Americans have converted upon studying the truth that is Orthodoxy. Thus, while you will certainly feel the “flavor” of the culture of these churches, you don’t have to be Greek, Russian, or Arabic to attend.

You asked about the Orthodox Church in America. The OCA claims its origins back to the Russian missionaries who evangelized the native Alaskans in the 18th Century. While the OCA parishes use the Russian style of polyphonic chant, the services are conducted in English, many of their priests are converts, and many of their parishes are filled with converts to Orthodoxy. While some parishes may use a smattering of Church Slavonic, almost all of the service is in English.

As far as one jurisdiction being more liberal than another, that all depends on how you define the word “liberal.” Theologically, we all hold the same beliefs. There are some things that you will see in some jurisdictions that you won’t see in others. For example, many Greek parishes have an organ, something that is completely foreign to Orthodoxy and doesn’t belong in Orthodoxy, but the Greeks adopted in an effort to be more “American.”

While other faith traditions are arguing over whether or not homosexuals should be ordained, our “liberal” vs. “conservative” arguments are based around whether or not we should have pews and organs in our parishes. Our dogma and doctrine were established long ago concerning the “big” matters, so its stuff like pews that gets us worked up. ;)

So overall, Orthodoxy, regardless of jurisdiction, is very conservative.

My advice to you is to go to orthodoxyinamerica.com and find the Orthodox parishes nearest you. Visit them all at least once. Talk to the priests, the people, go to coffee hour. See where you are most comfortable, and that is where you belong.

Upvote 0

HandmaidenOfGod

Sep 11, 2004
✟15,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
** It should be noted that the OCA was granted Autocepholy by the Moscow Patriarch in 1970, and has its own primate, Metropolitan Jonah. However he is only in charge of the OCA, and the other jurisdictions do not report to him.

On a personal note, I was raised in a Ukrainian Orthodox parish, spent some years in an OCA parish, and currently attend a Greek Orthodox parish. (I’ve moved a lot.) I’ve also visited parishes of other jurisdictions and this is what I’ve learned: if the priest makes you feel comfortable and the parishioners are friendly, everything else falls into place in its due time.

Orthodoxy is a multi-faceted diamond. The cultural stuff is just different facets of the same jewel. Don’t let one facet stop you from seeing the full sparkle.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I have been looking at different Orthodox churches and I see there are so many different kinds. Can someone tell me the main differences between ones such as "Greek Orthodox" and "Orthodox Church in America"? Are some more "liberal" then others?
Nah. The worship is the same. The only difference, really, is the culture. The Greeks tend to worship in Greek and English, while the OCA tends to worship in English with some Russian.

That's about it. Greeks will have things in the Greek tradition while the OCA will more likely have things in the Russian tradition.

One difference is how a priest's wife is addressed. In the Greek tradition, she is typically called "presbytera" while in the Russian (and other Slavic tradition), she is typically called "matushka".

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟755,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The OCA Divine Liturgy retains the Beatitudes whereas the Greek and Antiochians do not.
I like to hear the Beatitudes chanted as they are in the Russian tradition within the DL and wish it was within the Antiochian tradition of the DL. I also wish the prayers for the catchumens would be prayed aloud in our regular Antiochian DL (& not just during special times like the presanctified during Lent). Although I prefer the way the Lord's prayer and the Creed are said aloud in the Antiiochian DL as opposed to choral chant (although both are right, of course).

Upvote 0

Macarius

Progressive Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2007
The Ivory Tower
✟52,122.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The OCA parish I attend speaks the Lord's Prayer congregationally, except during the Divine Liturgy right before Eucharist. So during the hours, or the post-communion prayers, or Matins, or whenever (except right before Eucharist), when the reader gets to the Lord's prayer he stops chanting and starts speaking the prayer, and literally everyone joins in.

It's pretty powerful. We also speak the creed (rather than choral chanting it) during baptisms or chrismations, or when initiating someone into the catechumenate.

Anywho, one nice thing about jurisdictions is that we get a chance to see one another's practices and, if our bishops allow it, can kind of pick-and-choose which cultural practices we like :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The OCA parish I attend speaks the Lord's Prayer congregationally, except during the Divine Liturgy right before Eucharist. So during the hours, or the post-communion prayers, or Matins, or whenever (except right before Eucharist), when the reader gets to the Lord's prayer he stops chanting and starts speaking the prayer, and literally everyone joins in.

It's pretty powerful. We also speak the creed (rather than choral chanting it) during baptisms or chrismations, or when initiating someone into the catechumenate.

Anywho, one nice thing about jurisdictions is that we get a chance to see one another's practices and, if our bishops allow it, can kind of pick-and-choose which cultural practices we like :)
I thought all Orthodox Churches did the Creed and the Lord's Prayer with everyone in the congregation plus the chanters saying/reading it??? :confused: I've been in the Greek Churches the most (which all read the Lord's Prayer in both Greek and the English), and was a member of the Antiochian Church when I was living where my family lived before we moved, and they read and said the Creed and Lord's Prayer, not chant it.

Upvote 0

HandmaidenOfGod

Sep 11, 2004
✟15,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I thought all Orthodox Churches did the Creed and the Lord's Prayer with everyone in the congregation plus the chanters saying/reading it??? :confused: I've been in the Greek Churches the most (which all read the Lord's Prayer in both Greek and the English), and was a member of the Antiochian Church when I was living where my family lived before we moved, and they read and said the Creed and Lord's Prayer, not chant it.

It depends on the parish.

In the UOC parish I grew up in, the Creed and the Lord's prayer are both sung. Same thing with the OCA parish I attended for a few years.

In the GOA parish I currently attend, both are spoken. First in Greek, then in English.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.